Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443220 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #525 on: June 26, 2015, 09:26:57 am »

Changing a creature's blood to a gas or a solid, at least in 0.34, will render that creature unable to eat or drink anything. If a solid, everything will be "too hot to eat". If a gas, everything will be "too cold".

Which is a shame, because it's quite cool to see a cloud of blood fly out of people who get cut.
I remember solid blood not working in 0.34.  In 0.40, I was able to give a creature MUD blood (which the game treats as a solid) with no apparent ill effects.  Of course, since they are non-grazer animals they don't really eat anything anyway so the too-hot/too-cold issue might remain.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 26, 2015, 09:39:28 am »

latias, you're not using any mods, are you? I've never seen that myself.
I've screwed around with the raws a bit, I was testing my own mod (which was why I had iron crafts ordered, they're cheap), but I have no mods that I think will affect the way workshops operate. I also think there was something strange with the first job, but I forgot what it was.

I never saw it myself before either, and I am pretty sure I once had jobs for different labors pending on a single workshop (although I do not strictly remember). I actually think it was partly because of the first job being active before I changed the raws, then added a new item to the craftable tool list (note: it didn't work, I was told I have to gen a new world for any entity change), and reloaded the world. Even if that's true though I don't see why it would cause a glitch with a job to make crafts. Maybe it's just a very rare glitch that generally does not reproduce.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:46:37 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 26, 2015, 10:57:05 am »

As long as they involve different labors, multiple jobs can be active on a single workshop. So far I've observed 2 jobs 1 shop.

I had this too, once. Involved a dwarf coming off military duty and being "stuck" for a long while, then snapped out of it and jumped into a forge already being used by another - one with Weaponsmith, one w/ Armoursmith.

They both finished, then game went on as usual.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 26, 2015, 01:52:11 pm »

That's what happens when you forget that you have temperature switched off. Turn it back on, wait ~20 steps and voilą:

much better. So if you want some ‼fun‼ with sieges, bouncing minecarts off magma to produce magma mist look very promising. I was using reciprocating carts, tossed back and forth between pairs of highest-speed rollers. Seven tiles can be crossed like that, but more may be possible; i didn't try - carts are a bit tricky to retrieve from liquid-filled trenches.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 03:20:24 pm by Larix »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 26, 2015, 02:45:33 pm »

Spoiler: What? (click to show/hide)

74 alligators involved in the 7th rampage?

Also noting that the gobos are so powerful they were able to build 2 towers :\
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:48:30 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 29, 2015, 02:49:39 pm »

After I have melt some lead minecarts in magma found nickel is better for this job and obtained magma filled minecarts I have mined small area for new magma smelter while I was waiting on dwarves to bring those heavy minecarts back to fort from the volcano outside. According to wiki all these magma furnaces need magma under one of their workshop squares. Apparently, this needs to be one of the eight on the rim - in my OCDness to centralisation surely I mined just the middle square of 3x3 area and than wondered why does the smelter not fit there...
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 29, 2015, 02:58:45 pm »

After I have melt some lead minecarts in magma

When I was young I made the trivial discovery that lead melts on a stove-top (which is not very hot, compared to magma).

I also discovered that it does not all pour out of frying pans.

(I was pleased at the first discovery, my mother was not pleased at the second, and my father was rather amused at both.)

Best use I've found for lead is for floor bars.  It's too heavy and low-value to be practical for anything else.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 29, 2015, 03:00:14 pm »

Spoiler: What? (click to show/hide)

74 alligators involved in the 7th rampage?

Also noting that the gobos are so powerful they were able to build 2 towers :\

Must be a crocsplosion. Mother croc has brought her babies with her.

Also fuck yeah, alligator sieges. I want that as a feature.

edit: alligator clutch size is 10-30, it's not only that.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 29, 2015, 04:07:04 pm »

After I have melt some lead minecarts in magma

When I was young I made the trivial discovery that lead melts on a stove-top (which is not very hot, compared to magma).

I also discovered that it does not all pour out of frying pans.

(I was pleased at the first discovery, my mother was not pleased at the second, and my father was rather amused at both.)
I have read about using heavy lead minecarts in defense and using minecarts in tranportation of magma. It seems combining two good uses (into using lead minecarts to transport magma) you can't always get new good one.

Best use I've found for lead is for floor bars.  It's too heavy and low-value to be practical for anything else.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 29, 2015, 04:16:23 pm »

I have read about using heavy lead minecarts in defense and using minecarts in tranportation of magma. It seems combining two good uses (into using lead minecarts to transport magma) you can't always get new good one.

Dwarf physics triumphs over mere human creativity.

But offensive minecarts is another use (if not magma filled). Collapsing traps with lead bars falling onto the heads of the trigger-er(s) is another, if more simple.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 29, 2015, 05:54:19 pm »

Have you ever want to let dwarves automine some metal/gem veins but got worried they can make emental labyrinth of that level if veins are big enough and you forgot about them for a while? Well, all you need to do is use marker designations and make few lines (switch to "designating all") across the unknown terrain few tiles ahead of your mines. They will stop at those markers and not automine further.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 10, 2015, 01:22:18 pm »

I learned today that by viewing your civ and [tab]ving over a few times you can view trade agreements. O.o
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 10, 2015, 06:08:58 pm »

I learned today that by viewing your civ and [tab]ving over a few times you can view trade agreements. O.o
Yep. Try to also see how is your trade going with Goblin civilization :D .
(noted by jwoodward48df)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 11, 2015, 09:33:48 am »

critters can make babies through cages so long as they are within 1 tile of each other O.O

which also does a lot for the safety of my dwarves, as we dont need to actually let dangereous critter roam free in the hopes of making offspring.
PKs DF Mod!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 11, 2015, 09:37:04 am »

Not trivial at all, -1.

You should probably post this elsewhere, as it might be useful for my fort if I didn't need to kill everything for lag reasons.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 148