Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 447061 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #840 on: October 15, 2016, 07:46:24 pm »

Mud titans are apparently made out of dried mud: they can suffer fractured or chipped body parts.
The game considers mud to be a solid.  If you contrive some situation where it ought to be a liquid, it is called "n/a" like any other material with an undefined state.

On a related note, creatures modded to have solid mud as their blood function just fine.  They even muddy bare stone floors when they bleed.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 17, 2016, 12:02:22 pm »

In 0.43.05, I've been trying to figure out which social skills are contingent on specific personality traits. First, I've been making the racial trait static in the raw (ie [PERSONALITY:HUMOR:24:24:24]), generating a world, and checking which skills dwarves [don't] learn in fortress mode. Mostly I find using a 4x4 room as a tavern helps force dwarves into chatting with each other and [not] developing the social skills available to them. So far these are my impressions:
  • Liar isn't based off of a personality facet per se, but values and ethics. Because of dwarves' [VALUE:TRUTH:30] entity token, this means most dwarves can't learn liar. Those I've seen that can explicitly do "not particularly value the truth."
  • Consoler seems to be tied to the CRUELTY facet. A dwarf with cruelty > 75 won't learn consoler at all.
  • Comedian is likewise tied to the HUMOR facet. A dwarf with humor < 25 won't learn comedian.
  • Intimidator appears to be tied to both the DISCORD and ASSERTIVENESS facets. A dwarf with discord < 25 or assertiveness < 25 won't learn intimidator.
  • Persuader is also tied to the ASSERTIVENESS facet. A dwarf with assertiveness < 25 won't learn persuader.
  • Pacifier is tied to the DISCORD facet. A dwarf with discord > 75 won't learn pacifier.
  • Conversationalist is tied to the GREGARIOUSNESS facet. A dwarf with gregariousness < 25 won't learn it.
  • Flatterer is tied to the FRIENDLINESS facet. A dwarf won't learn it unless they have friendliness > 75.
While I've been trying to isolate each of the facets responsible, it's becoming fairly tricky, especially if (as I suspect, at least with intimidator) social skills may be contingent on more than one personality facet. As of right now, I haven't been able to find facets responsible for negotiator or judge of intent.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 17, 2016, 07:39:53 pm »

Keep up the good work!

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 18, 2016, 06:08:18 am »

A dwarf who gets old enough will suffer a slight vision loss.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 18, 2016, 06:47:07 am »

migrants are definitely generated randomly, except for those fleeing from sites when those get abandoned.
i had a big migrant wave with many skilled dorfs, then the game crashed and i didn't save, so around the same time again, i had a migrant wave with farmers and fishermen and 10 children instead :(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 21, 2016, 08:51:20 am »

You can rename a dead dwarf using the 'relationship' screen of another dwarf still alive.
From this screen, press 'v' while hovering the dead to access the dead dwarf's 'Status' screen.

From there you can rename him post mortem.

- You can also access the 'thoughts' screen and see that, most of the time, his upper body is gone
From this screen, you can get an idea of what your dwarf was feeling when he died.

There is btw a bug in this screen. The age displayed is the age as if they where not dead.
Eg : "He is 101yo, born on the first of granite 99", although my dwarf died in 180, and was 81.

- In the 'health' screen, the dwarf will have Cannot breathe, Vision lost, Ability to stand lost and Ability to grasp lost

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:55:48 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 21, 2016, 04:33:03 pm »

You can rename a dead dwarf using the 'relationship' screen of another dwarf still alive.
From this screen, press 'v' while hovering the dead to access the dead dwarf's 'Status' screen.

From there you can rename him post mortem.

- You can also access the 'thoughts' screen and see that, most of the time, his upper body is gone
From this screen, you can get an idea of what your dwarf was feeling when he died.

There is btw a bug in this screen. The age displayed is the age as if they where not dead.
Eg : "He is 101yo, born on the first of granite 99", although my dwarf died in 180, and was 81.

- In the 'health' screen, the dwarf will have Cannot breathe, Vision lost, Ability to stand lost and Ability to grasp lost
stop your dark arts, heretic necromancer!
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 21, 2016, 11:39:57 pm »

"Cracks easily under pressure" seems to be a very dangerous personality trait. Some dwarves also suffer negative thoughts when they tantrum. When combined, you have an extremely unstable dwarf who will throw things at the slightest inconvenience and then feel even worse because they threw things leading to a downwards spiral.

Luxury apartments and fulfilling their life-wishes did nothing. Taking them out of the military caused them to freak out about not practicing a martial skill for too long. Taverns, libraries, temples - nothing. Tossing all subjects with those traits into a volcano did solve the problem.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 22, 2016, 01:44:13 am »

Neurotic dwarves!

Stay tuned for these, and other !FUN! features from Bay12 Games!

(Bay12 games is not responsible for injury or death resulting from the use of its products.)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 22, 2016, 01:18:08 pm »

If you offer goblins a pantheon, they will have a cheery range of animal and goblin based gods relevant to their evil desires. (gods of rumours, gambling trickery and deaaath), animal gods are common and nearly consistently fire imps are really common themes (i gave them intelligence and pet exotic in the hopes of one day catching some and enrolling them into my civ), though sometimes you will get overlapping gods with values of other cultures into new gods.

Upcoming part VERY BUGGY

In my vanilla but modded world, a animal man goblin citizen (Nubpo BreachedBolts the wolf woman mathmatician, and one hit technology wonder turning evil presumably due to her advanced knowledge of how to mathmatically draw a ritual circle,  i still have the save) was chosen after committing to 'worship' my almighty death god and was summarily granted a slab of necromancy (the phantom of burying) to go practice necromancy (this was a legends recorded event between the both of them)

Ngbo then went foward and started setting up goblin groups during her residency becoming the cheifteness, before using those groups to build factionally aligned towers (im literally not kidding, there were 2 'goblin' towers and 1 dwarven group tower because Nubpo was moving around) leaving behind bandit camps full of animated zombies actually living on site. No idea if the towers contribute in wars, but they are always well staffed.
Spoiler: "legends images" (click to show/hide)

Lessons learnt.

> Travelling scholar necromancers with banditry enabled can make undead bandit camps if they are goblins/have banditry enabled, because of conflicting travelling/settling arrangements
> Travelling scholar necromancers can also build additional towers (manned by corpses) by exploiting bandit camp group positions
> 3 towers got built within 60 years which is terrifying.
> "'Arch Deacon' Nubpo" since she's practically the most evil and smartest entity on my world literally blessed by unholy gods only ever had 1 personal apprentice, a human, who she soon kicked out of the nest and inhibits a tower to himself going along the typical path of writing necromantic books and training MANY apprentices under him, she has 1 spare tower to herself and currently is leading a bandit gang probably prospecting or raising funds/corpses to go build another tower.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 22, 2016, 01:24:41 pm »

Believe it or not, most of that is vanilla behavior. Animal man necromancers do that a lot.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 22, 2016, 01:30:03 pm »

Believe it or not, most of that is vanilla behavior. Animal man necromancers do that a lot.

True but the gods literally delivered a slab to them (commandments if you will) without them ever having to pick up a quill to write anything, it is a sacred object. Which means in future magic updates, the god of (whatever) could literally bequeath magic tomes upon mortals who commit to them dearly, if you interpret secret sharing to be the same. Goblin gods are definitely the cool kids on the block, though i've never actually seen my own demon master be a object of worship, i guess endorsing the goblin god that helped them rise the spire is probably the best second alternative with a lavish shrine.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 22, 2016, 02:17:48 pm »

Gods delivering slabs is always how anybody first learns the secrets of life and death. It can be later taught, but it is kind of like first anvil.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 23, 2016, 03:00:33 pm »

If you offer goblins a pantheon, they will have a cheery range of animal and goblin based gods relevant to their evil desires. (gods of rumours, gambling trickery and deaaath), animal gods are common and nearly consistently fire imps are really common themes (i gave them intelligence and pet exotic in the hopes of one day catching some and enrolling them into my civ), though sometimes you will get overlapping gods with values of other cultures into new gods.

Upcoming part VERY BUGGY

In my vanilla but modded world, a animal man goblin citizen (Nubpo BreachedBolts the wolf woman mathmatician, and one hit technology wonder turning evil presumably due to her advanced knowledge of how to mathmatically draw a ritual circle,  i still have the save) was chosen after committing to 'worship' my almighty death god and was summarily granted a slab of necromancy (the phantom of burying) to go practice necromancy (this was a legends recorded event between the both of them)

Ngbo then went foward and started setting up goblin groups during her residency becoming the cheifteness, before using those groups to build factionally aligned towers (im literally not kidding, there were 2 'goblin' towers and 1 dwarven group tower because Nubpo was moving around) leaving behind bandit camps full of animated zombies actually living on site. No idea if the towers contribute in wars, but they are always well staffed.
Spoiler: "legends images" (click to show/hide)

Lessons learnt.

> Travelling scholar necromancers with banditry enabled can make undead bandit camps if they are goblins/have banditry enabled, because of conflicting travelling/settling arrangements
> Travelling scholar necromancers can also build additional towers (manned by corpses) by exploiting bandit camp group positions
> 3 towers got built within 60 years which is terrifying.
> "'Arch Deacon' Nubpo" since she's practically the most evil and smartest entity on my world literally blessed by unholy gods only ever had 1 personal apprentice, a human, who she soon kicked out of the nest and inhibits a tower to himself going along the typical path of writing necromantic books and training MANY apprentices under him, she has 1 spare tower to herself and currently is leading a bandit gang probably prospecting or raising funds/corpses to go build another tower.

PTW. It's needed some sciense!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 23, 2016, 03:56:31 pm »

Trivial finding: For stuff like gneiss pebbles on the surface, they can be covered up by saplings on embark (layer material is stone when probed):

You can't build dirt roads on them

But if you build paved road on them, you can get the soil type otherwise found in caverns (black sand, in this case, despite no black sand walls on embark).

Sadly, for a gneiss pebble that doesn't start covered obsidianizing + mining and water-dropping have seemed to be uneffective for getting access to that on surface, so this is pretty trivial. Maybe useful if you're playing kobold camp or something?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:59:10 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 148