Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443617 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #945 on: December 02, 2016, 08:15:31 am »

Yep. I do that regularly, though my doors are trapped with minecarts and not magma on cave moss action.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 02, 2016, 08:39:01 am »

Wow @NonconsensualSurgery those are super non-trivial!  Cool  :o  I wonder if you could use routes to discourage dwarfs from using the trapped door.
The safer less !FUN! option would be to simply lock the door until such time as baddies are in the vicinity.  Assuming your Dwarves are burrowed properly, you can then unlock the door for your guests.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 03, 2016, 01:02:29 am »

In order to be 'laced with blood,' a tile of water must have a 'pool of blood.' Spatterings and smears are not enough. From one z-level above, the tile will appear as a red ≈.

This is important for vampirizing your entire fort with a contaminated well.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 03, 2016, 08:51:20 pm »

A Bowdwarf can't use his bow if you put him in a marksdwarf squad, because the ammo of the squad is bolt type.
He will pick up bolts and never be able to shoot. Instead he just bashes the enemies with the bow.
 :P

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:54:13 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 03, 2016, 10:53:29 pm »

Wow @NonconsensualSurgery those are super non-trivial!  Cool  :o  I wonder if you could use routes to discourage dwarfs from using the trapped door.
The safer less !FUN! option would be to simply lock the door until such time as baddies are in the vicinity.  Assuming your Dwarves are burrowed properly, you can then unlock the door for your guests.

I tried restricted pathing on some of the other traps and it did not go well. Dwarves would avoid the fun tiles when alone, but would step on them to avoid sharing space with another dwarf.

My current defense is flamethrower FBs to keep trolls away from the doors and the drainage grates, then magma doors. The flamethrowers alone didn't work well on enemies with shields. If it works properly (still waiting for another big siege) then the pressurized magma will push goblinite out of the door and onto the drainage grates, then the door will close and atom-smash the magma for a clean reset. Wash, rinse, repeat.

In order to be 'laced with blood,' a tile of water must have a 'pool of blood.' Spatterings and smears are not enough. From one z-level above, the tile will appear as a red ≈.

This is important for vampirizing your entire fort with a contaminated well.

Aha! So that's why that wasn't working.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 04, 2016, 03:00:01 am »

Magma can only fall into a tile occupied by a door from above when the door is opened. This is a pretty good trap for whoever opens the door.

If you trigger the door by pressure plate and ride a minecart through it you can make it past the magma before it falls down :) Now, if you add some water to the floor the tunnel seals itself with obsidian.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 05, 2016, 05:29:52 am »

Magma can only fall into a tile occupied by a door from above when the door is opened. This is a pretty good trap for whoever opens the door.

If you trigger the door by pressure plate and ride a minecart through it you can make it past the magma before it falls down :) Now, if you add some water to the floor the tunnel seals itself with obsidian.

Sounds like a pretty awesome design for an escape tunnel.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 05, 2016, 07:46:54 am »

The fort can become mountainhome without becoming a barony.
My current fort has a king, a count and two barons, and it became the mountainhome without a problem.
Although they are not MY barons, they still prevent the fort from becoming a barony.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:50:25 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 05, 2016, 08:43:08 am »

The fort can become a barony even if you already have other barons there.

One of my dwarves inherited a barony. A few years later the outpost liaison elevated me to a barony, giving me two barons in the fort (I was tempted to try giving the title to the same guy, but didn't).

Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 05, 2016, 09:58:03 am »

The fort can become mountainhome without becoming a barony.
My current fort has a king, a count and two barons, and it became the mountainhome without a problem.
Although they are not MY barons, they still prevent the fort from becoming a barony.
In my latest Fort, i had a mayor, then suddenly i had a King and we became mountainhome without ever having any barons. even one year later there were no barons at the Fort.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 05, 2016, 08:22:41 pm »

Rocs don't target doors, it will attack livestocks though.
And the dorfs don't mind seeing one, because it is just a peaceful wild bird.

Urist: Hey, there's a roc in the garden.
Kogan: Oh, so what?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 06, 2016, 03:09:32 am »

Had a thought. Earrings are the lightest thing, and featherwood is the lightest material. Why not test coinstar in 43.03?

Setup, after month inside:

The earring squares are also 1 tile retracting bridge/ramps, per the old coinstar setups. Dumped in 32 earrings, and set 3x3 meeting zone on lever with do it now/repeat. Not perfect, but...

Before and after the month in it:

That is 193 attribute points, spread primarily over Agility, Endurance, Kinesthetic Sense, Spatial Sense, Strength, Toughness and Willpower with less in Focus, Intuition

They also gained exactly 750 experience in armor user, over 21,8 pages, with something like 1 to 3 ratio for slamming into an obstacle versus taking a hit from earring - suggesting 187,5+17,58*#Earrings exp per month.

The dwarf got no injuries, but satisfied needs of skill practice, martial art and learning.

Doing similar test in 43.05, I get a segmentation fault without getting to see even a single combat report.
Now, we know about wear-related crashes in trap components, but...Still. Not sure if the cause is earrings hitting the dwarf or dwarf hitting the bridge (building damage). Suspecting that Toady didn't handle combat wear for anything not weapon or armor for this minor tweak.

Edit: It seems that getting the expedition team to loop minecart dump 5 earrings onto themselves (via ramp/stockpile/non-location meeting area in the hole(probably decreased effectiveness due 4 animals and 2 visitors in hole)) is far more effective, producing following experience increases over a month (start is not 0 due not starting to record at 0)

237->2043
60->285
0->9
102-> 534
21->738
0->9
117->3069

Though obviously this uses up more dwarf labor (but on the bright side, no danger of dropped sock jamming skulls through brains). I suspect the uneven gains are due 5 earrings and 7 dwarves leading to two dwarves getting the bulk of total 6150‼ experience points.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:07:52 am by Fleeting Frames »

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 06, 2016, 08:50:42 pm »

Dwarves can claim figurines and will carry them around. This doesn't appear to affect their ability to work, despite taking up a hand - in this case, the same hand as his (woodcutting) axe

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I thought they only did this with jewelry. He doesn't even worship Avuz, I don't know why he claimed it.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 06, 2016, 09:29:48 pm »

You can reclaim fortresses annexed in Worldgen by other civilization, with the citizens in the still. They are revealed whenever you see their location with the message you get when you are ambushed on reclaim.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 06, 2016, 11:23:47 pm »

Insect colonies appear to have no restrictions on location for spawning. I have a colony of termites on the top rim of my volcano, on bare obsidian, some 10 tiles away from the nearest plant life of any kind in all directions including vertically.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 148