Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 447095 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1005 on: December 28, 2016, 01:24:10 pm »

~snip~
How does werebeast number affect evil biomes? How does number of secrets affect placement of civs? Why do these things happen?

This is a speculative stone throw of a a idea but maybe all the "Patient Zero" original were-creatures originate in evil biomes locally then spread out to nearby settlements (infecting people as the go) given that were-people turn up at places like your fortress because they are programmed to roam until they find a settlement. That's my theory atleast.

Its definitely a question to pose to Toady.

> Trivial fact - All troll clothes are non defined as being able to fit trolls, but are listed as "Large" ("This is a large breastplate", rather than a "breastplate made to fit trolls") & based off player height perspective (tall adventurer vs small adventurer) the size definition varies. Trolls tailor fittings for custom made troll clothes are as big as a polar bear man.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 28, 2016, 01:25:38 pm »

Werebeast happen when people profane temples, so that's not the thing that's going on.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 28, 2016, 10:55:19 pm »

You can fish pond turtles in a digged well in the cavern, for some reason.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 29, 2016, 04:31:30 am »

You can fish pond turtles at any dwarf-made pool, if there's any to fish.

But you know, if you make embark cavern floor a pond, you can fish cave fish from it, even if your embark cavern had no water in it.

In other news, one can get bad thoughts from bad performances (here performed by visitor with no general performance skills at all)

(Most of that gal's thoughts are about being interested in a performance, though there is one other boredom as well.)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 29, 2016, 01:22:21 pm »

In an ocean biome, you can fish ocean-y fish from a freshwater aquifer layer.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 29, 2016, 06:59:50 pm »

In an ocean biome, you can fish ocean-y fish from a freshwater aquifer layer.

Each site population on a sitemap is relevant to (hence why you get overlaps, and evil rains & zombies come from the neighbour terrain) the terrain around it in the immediate radius of where the city is. Because worldmap cities are often the full size of a 'map tile' they will use this perimiter rule to collect materials & animals (hence why elves who settle between land borders sometimes have alternative variety of creatures)

So technically you're fishing all the fish being repopulated from your & the surrounding tiles, same for pond turtles since its discriminating by height outside of the range of the caverns. If its within the biome & also appropriate for light conditions it'll act the same.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 31, 2016, 02:49:05 am »

So, artifact instruments created by moody dwarves can also be made out of unusual materials that wouldn't normally be used. However, artifact instruments apparently lack the usual part descriptions, e.g. "The strings are made out of steel."

This absurdly valuable instrument is worth 2,918,400☼:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also have this, worth 2,193,600☼:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They're the two most valuable objects in my fort. I don't think I've ever seen them actually get played though.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 31, 2016, 01:50:39 pm »

Both those instruments require to be placed in a room or meeting area (with bards assigned to somewhere or nowhere imparticular) to be played (hence they are stationary placeable objects)

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 31, 2016, 03:31:29 pm »

Both those instruments require to be placed in a room or meeting area (with bards assigned to somewhere or nowhere imparticular) to be played (hence they are stationary placeable objects)
They've both been constructed in my tavern for years.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 01, 2017, 04:57:04 am »

You need a bard with skill in the relevant instrument, I think.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 01, 2017, 06:49:48 am »

You need somebody to play a music/dance piece that requires that instrument.

If they can, dabbling skill is enough to play on the instrument.

Now, can't really choose the music available to you, so just have to pay attention what instruments they simulate in your tavern with at least 5x5 floor space (though I've seen dancers take nearly twice as much in both directions sometimes).

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 01, 2017, 10:25:12 am »

Yeah, lack of performers with the appropriate instrument skills or musical forms probably explains it. Honestly, I don't even know if I've got a single capable instrumentalist in my fort, almost all of my resident and visiting performers are poets, and most of them are goblins or elves besides. I'll have to check through my dwarves to see if any of them have the necessary skills.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 02, 2017, 01:35:25 pm »

Yeah, lack of performers with the appropriate instrument skills or musical forms probably explains it. Honestly, I don't even know if I've got a single capable instrumentalist in my fort, almost all of my resident and visiting performers are poets, and most of them are goblins or elves besides. I'll have to check through my dwarves to see if any of them have the necessary skills.

> Relevant trivial finding - Even if musicians are trained in one particular thing, they will always have a overriding musical preference so equally try every spare person/people with non-important and non intensive jobs to work part time until you find someone who prefers pianos.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 02, 2017, 07:02:51 pm »

Human children wear large clothes as well.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 03, 2017, 10:47:05 am »

My population just went from 4. to 134. How? Well. I reclaimed a fort that had greater fire imps(those things in Fortress Defense, might be wrong name), who were apparently already reclaiming it. After reclaiming it, and killing some of the imps, I retired it. I unretired it, went to others in the unit list to see if there were any imps. weren't any, so I went to citizen, and discovered 130 fire imps on my side. Now I have a mayor. Considering that I had 4 dwarves, and dwarvish civs were dead, this is good. Haven't tested to make sure they'll do jobs.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 148