Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439518 times)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1065 on: March 16, 2017, 02:09:54 am »

Elephants happily move around in tree branches. 

(I don't know that they climbed the trees - mountainside, so there were tree branches adjacent to ground from a tree at a lower z-level).

Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised? :p

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 16, 2017, 06:39:04 am »

so climbing could be fixed by dividing the weight of a creature by its strength to see if it is strong enough to pull its own weight up?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 16, 2017, 12:46:58 pm »

(I don't know that they climbed the trees - mountainside, so there were tree branches adjacent to ground from a tree at a lower z-level).

Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised? :p

I'm surprised the tree doesn't break xP. I know, trees are probably like constructions, and impervious to anything, but elephants out on tree limbs, really?

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 17, 2017, 11:17:45 am »

I've heard of trees being destroyed by balista bolts and fire. It's just likely that DF doesn't check that a surface can support the weight sitting upon it. Larger caverns might collapse if it did

I'm surprised the tree doesn't break xP. I know, trees are probably like constructions, and impervious to anything, but elephants out on tree limbs, really?
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 17, 2017, 12:19:50 pm »

El(e)fants in the trees? Not a surprise.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 19, 2017, 10:04:32 pm »

I forget who mentioned it originally, but I have verified that grazers in cages will be fed by dwarfs with the "Animal Care" skill.  I have also verified that grazers on restraints are *also* fed by dwarfs with the "Animal Care" skill.  This means that theoretically they can breed.  I've put 2 sheep and 2 water buffaloes on restraints next to each other and am hoping they will breed.  Both pairs have bred before, so I know they are suitable pairs.

Both animals in cages and animals on restraints can be milked and sheared as well.

All cheer modern factory farming ;-)

The only downside is that I couldn't find a way to put pets in cages or on restraints.  However, I *think* grazer pets will be fed by their owners if pastured (will try that...)

Edit: They will not feed their grazer pets.  Watched the owner of a lamb sit "no job" in the same room as his pet lamb that was starving to death... :-P  That kind of sucks because there seems to be no way to feed them without pasturing them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:30:48 pm by mikekchar »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 19, 2017, 10:23:49 pm »

All cheer modern factory farming ;-)
Meh, it's just not the same without the ponds full of excrement.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 20, 2017, 03:14:06 am »

They could have just happened to stand on a sapling when it grew into a full tree. That can happen in heavily forested biomes.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: March 21, 2017, 06:46:24 pm »

Dwarfs riding a minecart will not trigger creature pressure plates on the track.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 28, 2017, 06:52:45 am »

*snip*
The only downside is that I couldn't find a way to put pets in cages or on restraints.  However, I *think* grazer pets will be fed by their owners if pastured (will try that...)

Edit: They will not feed their grazer pets.  Watched the owner of a lamb sit "no job" in the same room as his pet lamb that was starving to death... :-P  That kind of sucks because there seems to be no way to feed them without pasturing them.

Might have been me mentioning that. Yes pets can't be chained because they belong to a dwarf.

Have you tried simultaneously activating the pet owners (it might apply to war/work animals only, as the panda example of feeding prepared meals to pandas in place of bamboo worked) animal care role?

Fun fact, you can breed animals from chains as long as they are near each other that are not tame, and also by using walls you can restrict the space in which the animal can move so they are always pressed close to one another. The animals from breeding will run off the map if their season they are meant to be there has passed and new animals have walked onto the map (since only 1 animal type at a time unless its two biomes at once)

You can breed ultrarare and untamable yeti's on chains as to raise their natural numbers (though it takes 10 years for yeti's to mature into adults) for immortal decorations or food/fur. Just beware because yeti's are building destroyers and if the baby isn't pre-occupied with leaving the map they might destroy the chains their parents are on.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: March 29, 2017, 01:21:03 am »

I spent way to long on a tangent watching Swedish Chef videos

I have this great image of the Urist McSwedishChef attacking the corpse, singing a jolly tune as the meat reanimates while he is cooking it.

I'm sure you mean this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-dzu7-YHLo :)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: March 29, 2017, 01:22:08 am »

I spent way to long on a tangent watching Swedish Chef videos

I have this great image of the Urist McSwedishChef attacking the corpse, singing a jolly tune as the meat reanimates while he is cooking it.

I'm sure you mean this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-dzu7-YHLo :) (edit, or this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfafno4HND4)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: March 29, 2017, 07:03:02 pm »

Today I learned:

You can deconstruct coffins and nothing bad happens.

Note to self: Once Blacksmith becomes Legendary, create Masterwork coffins, and replace the ones already in use.

Also, you can move the first guy to die from the temporary dining room when yo're ready. And into a proper tomb.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: March 29, 2017, 07:46:16 pm »

Today I learned:

Note to self: Once Blacksmith becomes Legendary, create Masterwork coffins, and replace the ones already in use.

Also, you can move the first guy to die from the temporary dining room when yo're ready. And into a proper tomb.
But is the corpse still inside the coffin?  I ask b/c I'm wondering if you could move a coffin outside without building it, and somehow encourage a kobold or gobbo thief to steal it.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: March 29, 2017, 08:00:33 pm »

Today I learned:

But is the corpse still inside the coffin?  I ask b/c I'm wondering if you could move a coffin outside without building it, and somehow encourage a kobold or gobbo thief to steal it.
Nah, the body gets dumped on the ground.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 148