Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439500 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1125 on: May 02, 2017, 06:17:31 am »

Forgotten beasts that become undead are no longer counted as guests, uninvited or caged, and frankly I think thats just plain rude.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: May 02, 2017, 10:34:01 pm »

...I am disappointed. I had a whole bunch of worn clothing underneath a bridge, for the purpose of atom smashing. Turns out, a soap bridge with no walls to either side will no longer atom smash, it just FLINGS clothing everywhere.

Now I have to make a new one in a tunnel somewhere...
Does this work with other things under a soap bridge? Or any bridge with no walls?
Can we throw axes in random directions with this?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: May 02, 2017, 11:04:48 pm »

...I am disappointed. I had a whole bunch of worn clothing underneath a bridge, for the purpose of atom smashing. Turns out, a soap bridge with no walls to either side will no longer atom smash, it just FLINGS clothing everywhere.

Now I have to make a new one in a tunnel somewhere...
Are you sure it was a raising bridge and not a retracting one? It sounds like a coinstar room.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: May 03, 2017, 01:37:13 am »

Yeah i would suspect you didnt have the bridge raised first. If a bridge is raised with stuff on it the stuff will be sent flying, but if its lowered with stuff underneath it that stuff will be destroyed.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: May 03, 2017, 03:53:40 am »

It was definitely not in the flat position, so it might've been me not noticing I built it as a retracting instead of raising one. Pretty sure it was though...

Regardless, I made one in a tunnel that does work, so it wasn't a case of "well that no longer works" either way. Plus this way my dwarves stop going upstairs into my undercover fort entrance and start puking all over shit from the light coming in the trade route entrance.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: May 03, 2017, 06:46:48 am »

Werecreatures don't seem to want to destroy locked doors. They will wreck all the workshops and other constructions they can reach, but if they step in a room with a door, I can lock the door and they will stay trapped forever, despite being perfectly capable of destroying doors.
Hmm.. in my current 43.05 play burrowed weredwarves won't destroy locked doors.. but once they change back & can path to something they will!?!

I have seen weres walled in their hospital rooms to destroy everything in the room, including the door. It usually takes them several transformation cycles but eventually there's only a naked and confused were-infected dwarf in an otherwise empty room.

Maybe it takes longer than those few full moon days to destroy a quality door? Even FB:s and clowns seem to take a while at it.

Based on a bunch of accidental testing with werepandas it appears that they destroy exactly 1 furniture item per transformation. Maybe there is a coded limit so the spend some of the time mauling people or maybe it is cause building destruction is no longer instant and it just takes them too long to break more than one.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:49:33 am by neotemplar »
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 03, 2017, 12:59:34 pm »

Werecreatures don't seem to want to destroy locked doors. They will wreck all the workshops and other constructions they can reach, but if they step in a room with a door, I can lock the door and they will stay trapped forever, despite being perfectly capable of destroying doors.
Hmm.. in my current 43.05 play burrowed weredwarves won't destroy locked doors.. but once they change back & can path to something they will!?!

I have seen weres walled in their hospital rooms to destroy everything in the room, including the door. It usually takes them several transformation cycles but eventually there's only a naked and confused were-infected dwarf in an otherwise empty room.

Maybe it takes longer than those few full moon days to destroy a quality door? Even FB:s and clowns seem to take a while at it.

Based on a bunch of accidental testing with werepandas it appears that they destroy exactly 1 furniture item per transformation. Maybe there is a coded limit so the spend some of the time mauling people or maybe it is cause building destruction is no longer instant and it just takes them too long to break more than one.
I think there is some buggy thing with building destroyers, where they target something that is they are already adjacent to, they will not start the demolition process. Evil biome embark, three wandering ogres in the first month or two, one leg-broken dwarf was left outside outside, the other dwarfs died inside, then the ogres flipped some beds and got stuck. They were there until migrants arrived, at least a month or two. Occasionally trolls would do the same thing. I don't know about were's and doors because I wall them in without doors.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: May 08, 2017, 04:19:59 pm »

This is probably known already and won't be useful to anyone, but I discovered that if someone is currently a baron/count/duke, they can't become a king/queen. I tested this using DFHack. I made my fort's duke the king through a command, then reitred that fort and started a new one. Checked legends, and there was a new, completely different king and  there was no mention of my duke ever becoming one.

On my second try, I transfered the duke position to a different dwarf, and made the same guy as before into a king. Retired, started new fort, checked the civilization screen as well as legends and he was king now.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Alyfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 11, 2017, 03:34:12 am »

Best use I've found for lead is for floor bars.  It's too heavy and low-value to be practical for anything else.

Toys for the elven children, and mugs for the elven nobles

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: May 11, 2017, 04:35:25 am »

Best use I've found for lead is for floor bars.  It's too heavy and low-value to be practical for anything else.

Oh no, such precious warminecart material and shotgun ammo getting wasted on toys and trade items...
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: May 11, 2017, 04:39:09 am »

Or lead figurines, sceptres and other handheld trinkets for improvised civilian weapon use.

Lead flooring has proven very useful as a landing zone material in various Goblin Terminal Velocity Testing Facilities. As ordinary flooring it sounds a bit risky since just a random stumble-and-skip-across-the-floor would equal being hit several times with a very large cube of lead.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 14, 2017, 05:02:56 pm »

"Void" migrants can appear in married couples despite incompatible orientations. Currently I have a husband+wife couple who both exclusively like men. At least they have something in common?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: May 14, 2017, 06:17:36 pm »

Apparently, werecreatures can die of thirst.  Because I just had it happen.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 15, 2017, 09:55:00 pm »

Apparently, werecreatures can die of thirst.  Because I just had it happen.
Usually there's not enough time before transformation. What were the circumstances? Was it a hot embark?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1139 on: May 16, 2017, 03:16:25 am »

When looking for vampires, screen out population for unusual skin color (which usually means they come from a different civilization), but more especially for gray or white hairs. Vampires don't grow older, but like human their hair lose their coloration with time, which gives their real age away
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 148