Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439468 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1140 on: May 16, 2017, 12:06:25 pm »

Apparently, werecreatures can die of thirst.  Because I just had it happen.
Usually there's not enough time before transformation. What were the circumstances? Was it a hot embark?

It was hot, and he was very severely injured before his first transformation and dead before his second.  I was actually somewhat surprised he lived long enough to die of something other than his injuries.

Wahll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: May 29, 2017, 04:04:09 pm »

It turns out that fire breathing forgotten beasts are not immune to heat: a fire breathing beettle came to my fort through the cavern, I proceed to lock everyone in the fort while the beetle exterminates the cavern wild life and kills my fps with the fire spreading. Then I go look to see if it took any injuries during it's slaughter and I notice it's leaving a trail of extract on the ground: the forgotten beast's fat had melted and was spouting out of it's exosqueleton.
That alone was not enough to kill it, but I also learned that gorlak corpes can be tough opponent. (I'm almost prospering in a reanimating biome, the said gorlak, that was originally killed by the beetle, murdered it back, gained a name in the process and it took more than one page combat log for my legendary+5 hammerdwarf squad to get rid of it)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: May 29, 2017, 04:15:14 pm »

That alone was not enough to kill it, but I also learned that gorlak corpes can be tough opponent. (I'm almost prospering in a reanimating biome, the said gorlak, that was originally killed by the beetle, murdered it back, gained a name in the process and it took more than one page combat log for my legendary+5 hammerdwarf squad to get rid of it)
Beware the reanimated dralthas.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 02, 2017, 02:12:40 pm »

If a site with outcasts hiding in it is conquered, the outcasts are treated like members of the defending site. This can lead to expected things like sewer werebeasts getting crucified. However, it can also make a giant alligator flee the attacking army, wandering the wilderness for a few years before deciding to become a dancer and moving to the city. The giant alligator later remembered itself and went back to attacking villages.

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 02, 2017, 04:57:49 pm »

If a site with outcasts hiding in it is conquered, the outcasts are treated like members of the defending site. This can lead to expected things like sewer werebeasts getting crucified. However, it can also make a giant alligator flee the attacking army, wandering the wilderness for a few years before deciding to become a dancer and moving to the city. The giant alligator later remembered itself and went back to attacking villages.

Oh man...

That alligator became a stripper to put itself through medical school.  After finding out that the school wouldn't admit a giant alligator, it went on a rampage.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 02, 2017, 06:03:19 pm »

It was actually a female giant alligator, so that makes it even better.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 03, 2017, 12:01:16 pm »

A dwarf was infected with lycanthropy, a were-antelope, so I dug out a room and sealed him in with food, drink,  and some armor stands.  His pet goose followed him in but I didn't have time to do anything about that. I expected he would kill the goose and destroy the armor stand when he turned. Instead, he kept right on training in were-form, for several months now.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 18, 2017, 03:50:24 pm »

Known: The generation of adamantine tubes and caverns is preseeded-rngdetermined at embark.

Found: If the embark square world tile savagery lowers a level during world gen due nearby sites, the above change. Adjacent tile savagery changes are ignored. Results in different underground geographies in year 1000 and 1500, for instance.
---------
Towers never attack generated sites during worldgen. However, post-worldgen they'll happily do it - usually ineffectually, but they can sometimes conquer a site. Oddly, they don't seem to suffer counterattacks for this, and can do it even if tower has only zombies in it. [insufficient testing of only 1 map, 2 years here]
---------
There's been a few mentions of nomadic necromancers. It's not been mentioned, so: a potentially nomadic necromancer can be pre-detected by them creating groups and then returning to a normal site, like so, and during worldgen they're noticeable by typically popping 5-13 towers at once right after a war leaves some bodies lying in an open field. This can get pretty ridiculous, should they swim over an ocean. Obviously, their upper cap is the number of groups they've created, so unlike normal necros century+ wait time between the provoking war and them becoming a necromancer is necessary.

They don't spam in response to direct attacks on sites, and usually (but not always) eventually settle down in their last tower, though there's low chance they may regress into visit site-create group-visit site pattern again, potentially caused by upgrading of a town.

Also, I'm speculating that they dislike other sources of reanimation for travelling (unproven, could very well be rng).
---------
It's rare, but caravans can bring masterwork goods.
---------
Even if your cavern has no water, you may be able to still pour water in it and fish anyway.
---------
(Just like?) there can be dying dwarven civs with no real units but phantom ones in ęther, there can be major sites with phantom creature cap. Instead of shooting to 10k sentient population like expected, they shoot to somewhere like 5k or 7k or 3k, etc. and then stop and only slowly decrease from that number if not disturbed, never going above. Checked that they're not present in a camp somewhere else, either.

I believe these phantom units can be present from both before the town is even founded or after the dark fortress is created.
---------
Even if a tower has only zombies, it can still generate someone living to lead the assault on you. If you only get the living, this can give "a vile force of darkness has arrived" message, even if it is still tower sieging you right then and there.
---------
Towns won't experience population explosion until someone builds a sewer. Even if this population explosion looks like 80% goblins moving in from nearby dark fortress, none of them are moving into sewers, just appreciating the hygiene despite not eating or drinking.

Fortresses, oddly, seem to not apply immigration limits to animal people, even if they do the breeding limits:
1: Lolokral, "Granitesilvers", fortress
   Owner: The Nets of Heaviness, dwarves
   Parent Civ: The Immortal Helm, dwarves
   1353 plump helmet men
   1393 gorlaks
   9 dwarves
   39 humans
   40 white stork men
   1 goblin
   111 magpie men
   199 snail men
The biggest in numbers that I've seen, though hardly the most ridiculous in population/time.

Very rarely, something similar-looking, but different in that it always uses civilized races, can happen to forest retreats and hamlets as well:
22: Thiwacovema, "Bowedjungles", forest retreat
   Owner: The Deer of Infamy, elves
   Parent Civ: The Sun of Ransacking, elves
   3973 goblins
   1 dwarf
   88 elves
   673 goblin outcasts
   5 elf outcasts
Both of those are in same 4200 year world gen, along with another less-ridiculous retreat and and hamlet (for hamlets and fortresses, seen them in other worlgens as well). I'm unsure what's the cause.
---------
E: Oh yeah, another one I forgot:

To solve the issue of "I want every z of my aboveground fortress have engraved obsidian floors, but when I dig cast obsidian it replaces that z with natural floor", you can cast above, dig away and then cave-in on top of a constructed floor resting on top of a support, replacing the constructed floor. Then you can deconstruct the support, keeping the obsidian floor on z-level right below.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 05:58:35 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 20, 2017, 04:27:19 am »

"4200 year world gen".

Damn !
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 20, 2017, 09:47:17 am »

Heh. Did that because I extrapolated from 1000-2999 year repeated gens of almost the same world that the forest retreat mentioned would have 10k pop by then (due 400-2500 goblin population at those times), and I've never seen forest retreat with that much population.

In retrospect, I was wrong, but 4740 is still the most people I've seen in one. The other sites boosted later, probably in 3000s, but I don't know why - the hamlet has single-tile cursor, but just 2 pages of text till 3055, when people suddenly start moving in to study and writing en masse, despite no structures being founded at the time or no wars giving a shake-up in world either. Heck, it was even routed by a bronze colossus in 319 and never reclaimed, though this boom behaviour occurs in said forest retreat whenever or not it gets routed.

There's the hypothesis that it is beyond-bounds visitor breeding/performance troupe absorption, but the historical visitors before the population boom wouldn't enable the first, at least, and as for the second, the first ones in boom stay in same site for century+ before joining one. Whatever the singular cause is, I don't know it, but wish I could summon it at will.

E: Outpost liaisons can enter your fort through tree holes, even if the fort is otherwise sealed.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:17:24 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: June 22, 2017, 05:02:32 pm »

A dwarf was infected with lycanthropy, a were-antelope, so I dug out a room and sealed him in with food, drink,  and some armor stands.  His pet goose followed him in but I didn't have time to do anything about that. I expected he would kill the goose and destroy the armor stand when he turned. Instead, he kept right on training in were-form, for several months now.

They actually do not need food and drink. They change form faster than they starve or dehydrate.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 28, 2017, 12:24:28 am »

They actually do not need food and drink. They change form faster than they starve or dehydrate.
Someone reported death by thirst in a hot climate.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: June 29, 2017, 06:50:07 am »

Someone reported death by thirst in a hot climate.
Just a month ago.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 03, 2017, 05:21:24 am »

Although this has been known for a long time, it was news to me: undead megabeasts get their [BUILDINGDESTROYER] bumped down to level 1. Kind of anticlimax in my current fort where I planned all sorts of schemes to contain a horde of undead Giants, Ettins and Cyclops and in the end a simple stone door was enough.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 03, 2017, 08:58:28 am »

E: Oh yeah, another one I forgot:

To solve the issue of "I want every z of my aboveground fortress have engraved obsidian floors, but when I dig cast obsidian it replaces that z with natural floor", you can cast above, dig away and then cave-in on top of a constructed floor resting on top of a support, replacing the constructed floor. Then you can deconstruct the support, keeping the obsidian floor on z-level right below.

So, it has to be a floor that is collapsed and not another casted obsidian? 

Code: [Select]
    before  after  final
z+1 ###     x,,    x,,    #=obsidian using dfhack liquids
z+0 ###     x,,    x,,    x=stairs  ,=dirt floor when casted obsidian is dug
z-1 ###     xh,    x..    h = channel, .=open space
z-2 ###     xS,    x,+    S=support  +=obsidian floor

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 148