Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439524 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1155 on: July 03, 2017, 10:49:25 am »

You have to collapse the cast obsidian floor on top of floor held aloft by support (haven't tested if you could skip the held-aloft floor when caving from greater height).

i.e. First obsidian floor on surface (# cast with 7+7):
    1  2 3 Profit
z1 + + + .
z0 # ,  S +

Second obsidian floor above first one (where f is constructed floor)
    1 2  3  4 5 6 Deconstruct now unneeded Support
z2 .  .  + + + .  .
z1 .  f  #  , S + +
z0 + S S  S S S +

It is just like lowering cast obsidian floor down a z-level on top of a wall or staircase (expect those would return the obsidian floor to dirt one), it won't be transmuted into being from dirt floor (I say as I see your code has + only in final screenshot, and for some reason not on support??)

I also noted that I've mentioned this before, but I forgot.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:52:41 am by Fleeting Frames »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 19, 2017, 05:17:09 pm »

Subterranean trees can grow from one cavern level to another, if positioned luckily under a deep pit between levels.

If a cavern level is muddy, deep pits on that level are also muddy. There will be tiles of "Muddy Open Space" containing invisible piles of mud hanging in the air.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 20, 2017, 07:31:42 am »

On that note, deep pits don't seem to override or abnormally boost admantine tubes; saw one c2->c3 pit that had 1z of adamantine spire in third cavern poking out right underneath yesterday.

EDIT:

Using automaterial and burrows, you can cut ice.

Resultant gem will have no material name.

You can, however, encrust things with it.

The resultant bucket keeps the decoration, even in warmer area:

However, if you use it to decorate an image, ice is mentioned:

Perhaps you could also have 5% to produce crafts that will give dwarves happy thought to put on and then evaporate to reduce clutter.

Oh, and ice caveins? Cause snow, despite the word not existing in dwarven tongue:

Furthermore, and somewhat usefully: You can air-drop ice-floors into floors above natural walls, and when they melt the floor will be replaced with open space. Beware of causing an infinite cavein chaingun with this, however, as ice wall cavein may bring water up to it's z-level, causing it to freeze and then drop, bringing water up, etc. ad infinitum.

EDIT EDIT:

Mid-air hanging bookcases (and nest boxes and hives) provide implied floor that dwarves can traverse and that blocks ramps, but this doesn't cause a cave-in when unsupported. Doesn't also support constructions, but does block water. Main use over retracting bridges would be not polluting lever/plate bridge linking space, I suppose.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:23:23 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: September 02, 2017, 02:37:48 pm »

There was a thread about tree growth that made me curious, so i made a very small test fort, in a 2x1 embark, clear-cutting one of the embark squares every year and deliberately harvesting trees in the other one for seven years or so.

Too short to be conclusive, but
a) harvesting large trees and leaving a few solitary ones to grow tends to give more wood per year than regular clearcutting, although the first clear-cut upon arrival gives a lot of wood upfront.
b) the number of saplings that show up appears to ramp up massively after embark, so my grasslands/woodlands embark started to get filled up with young trees by year 4+, making careful selection rather irrelevant: since 15-30 young trees would mature per year and embark square, that meant 50-100 logs per year from the clear-cut square vs. 80-150 from the "select harvesting" one (which included a lot of weeding out spindly young trees to make room for new large ones).

Other observations: getting saddled with a king when only using the starting seven (no migration allowed) is sure interesting, esp. when it's a king with four item preferences - rings, spears, windows and gauntlets. Took a fair bit of attention to manage all those production orders, waiting for the yellow marker before fulfillment to postpone further mandates.

Dropping contents on a trackstop is the minecart's action, which means that if the content dumped was another minecart, that one can also act in the turn it was dropped, e.g. dump items if it was in turn dumped onto another track stop.
Thus, a chain of trackstops allows "unfolding" a matryoshka-style stack of minecart in a minecart in a minecart etc., and if the minecarts are folded into the stack following build order - oldest cart outside, youngest deepest-nested inside - they can all unfold in the same game step. I tried it with twelve trackstops and thirteen minecarts, and while it took several in-game weeks of route and stockpile fiddling, it was quite satisfying to see a single minecart instantly transform into a queue of thirteen. Of course, this would be much more interesting if we could automatically load goods into carts (apart from fluids).

BTW: trackstops work the same on track and on ordinary floor; they seem to not work when "hanging" (built on constructed floor which is afterwards deconstructed; can be done with most buildings). They also appear to set a cart's "on track" rule when next to a downwards ramp - i.e. a cart coming from a tile with a track stop on non-track floor will still go down a ramp if not too fast, instead of jumping when coming off such floor otherwise. This applies both with operative and deactivated (invisible) track stop.

Switchback cart lift: carts coming from ordinary floor will jump over downward ramps, which allows a "switchback" direction change:
Code: [Select]
z0       z+1

═▲0   ═▼+▲0
visible

══0   ═.+═0
Track

A fast enough cart comes from the west on z0, goes up the ramp from z0 to z1, bumps against the wall or at least goes far enough into the ramp on the upper level, accelerates back west, crosses the flat floor tile and jumps over the ramp hole (since it comes from a non-track tile), then lands west of the hole and leaves west on z+1. Of course you can stack such direction-change arrays to make a one-line cart lift:
z(2k+1)      z(2k)

0▲+▼▲▲0     0▲▲▼+▲0
visible
    0          0
0═+▼╚═0→    ←0═╝▼+═0
track

Carts enter levels from the down ramp, leave to the next higher level in the direction of the arrow.

Most of the ramps need to be built, not carved, since cutting them from the stone would break the floors in many places.
The double ramps on each level are needed, since otherwise you'd either end up with carts losing speed and failing to clear the hole or going too fast and jumping into a bracing wall. And the whole thing is of no use anyway, since it's one-way, much slower than other cart lift designs, harder to build and not even particularly space-economic.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:48:37 pm by Larix »

Wahll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: September 04, 2017, 04:46:55 pm »

While it has certainly been known for a while, I just found out that an item cannot be designated to be dumped and melted at the same time. Goblinnite 'mining' is now significantly less tedious with bulk reclaim d-b-c, dump d-b-d, and then melt d-b-m.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: September 05, 2017, 03:07:06 pm »

So it seems that residents count for enabling the sheriff, but not for moods and the mayor: with seven dwarfs and one naturalised citizen but 43 accepted residents, i was getting no moods in a whole year and no mayor was appointed/elected.
A stork man resident got stuck in a tree and died of dehydration, likely a flying citizen issue.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: September 09, 2017, 07:33:44 am »

Looks like there's a triangle drama happening in one of my old fortresses. Ral Coalrider was romantically involved with Ïteb Traderiddled when I retired the fortress and embarked for a new one in the same world. While I was building the second fortress, Ral married another dwarf, Kogan Gatesaviors. Seeing this in the Legends I had to reclaim to see what's happening and yes, Kogan is listed as Ral's husband and Ïteb as her lover, at the same time.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 09, 2017, 09:53:28 am »

Heh. Succession world had that happen. With the warrior-queen of dwarven civilization, her swordwielding long-term buddy and a lowly mason.

MiauTxT

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 12, 2017, 02:10:02 pm »

a slug composed of salt with wings

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 12, 2017, 08:58:10 pm »

That spews webs. The salt part is very ironic...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:33 am »

"Mayor, we're under attack by a monstrous slug!"
"No need to start a panic, just drop a pile of rock salt on it!"
"It's made out of salt!"
"Shit."
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 23, 2017, 06:10:52 pm »

You can ride a multi-embark/multi-world-tile minecart track in adventure mode, provided you properly constructed it in fort.

Issues:
a) proper linking up: there are no indications where the track connects in the neighbouring embark, so you have to remember the exact co-ordinates (distance from embark edge, z-level). It's easiest to just make 1-wide embarks while building; the starting crew can run a track through a 6x1 embark in a single season (retire the fort after that's done, make a new embark to continue building).
b) bridging elevations: your track will probably have to go up/down z-levels. Pick whichever method you like. I used chained checkpoint slopes, since they have no speed requirements and can be used in both directions.
c) maintaining speed: either fiddle with rollers or use impulse ramps. Easy both-way accelerator:
.WW.
═╠╣═
.WW.
No matter whether a cart comes from east or west, it will at least maintain its speed; if it enters at less than ~70k, it'll accelerate a bit.

... you can also gain/maintain speed by simply "pushing off" while riding a cart.

d) Some idiot(s) will always decide to stand on the track.
e) Some idiot will always have left carts standing on the track (that was you!).
f) you can always avoid a collision with a cart or creature by jumping out of the cart. This will not hurt you.
g) carts that run free (e.g. pushed by you, left going after you jumped out...) will only travel a certain distance (~200 tiles or so?). Apparently the game won't track their travel beyond a certain distance from you, at which point they'll simply stop moving.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 24, 2017, 03:45:20 am »

You can ride a multi-embark/multi-world-tile minecart track in adventure mode, provided you properly constructed it in fort.
There was a project to combine this with a succession fort but with other things that got included (pick a dead dwarf civilization) the final pie was just too big to chew and the project soon died:
* Around the world in One Hundred and Twenty Nine tiles
For next try we should try much smaller world first.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 24, 2017, 07:38:12 pm »

As we all know, Bins are broken for most things.  I did not realize this was true for cloth until very recently.  Once I disabled bins in the stockpile, the Dwarves were able to take cloth from said bins, directly to the workshop, without first putting it back in the stockpile.  So I have the storage benefit of bins without the bugs.  Admittedly this is minor victory, as the storage only lasts until the cloth has been removed from the bins and placed in the stockpile directly.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 25, 2017, 01:27:36 am »

You can get sufficient storage for the cloth industry by simply not using stockpiles - just stick the clothiery right next to the loom next to the farmer's workshop and keep thread and cloth in the shops until needed. Both thread and cloth are very light and won't easily clutter a shop, you can have a few hundred sitting in a shop without operations slowing down.

And if for whichever reason you need stockpiles for your clothing industry, you can use the quantum ones.

Re: multi-embark railways - the best place to look at a practical example is probably the Dwarven Express. Other cases often started nicely and ambitiously, but e.g. the "Minecart Barons" game never made it to a second embark. I think if you really want a multi-embark rail, you'll have to make this your focus and shoot for something moderate in size, like twenty world tiles (not 120+, especially not when combined with such restrictive rules for advancement that each embark will take ten or more years to finish building its track).
As TimelessBob mentioned in the Dwarven Express thread, a great railway could also be built underground, through the caverns. I think it might also be possible to go from one embark to the next by making a cart jump through fortifications, and you can carve fortifications into border wall tiles...
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 148