Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439483 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1170 on: October 01, 2017, 03:42:23 pm »

Went and worked at it some more and indeed, an adventurer can ride a cart from one fort to the other underground, passing between locations by jumping through fortifications carved into the border tiles. This requires going to the stone layers; fortunately i didn't have encompassing aquifers on the sites i went through.

The interesting thing is that you're not dependent on pre-existing passages (caverns or aboveground floor) and can thus isolate the cart track from the fort and any other outside influence. Chances are pretty good that some creature or other will still manage to spawn onto the track, so it's probably best to use a heavy cart, allowing you to just plow over them. Thanks to the magic of impulse ramps, all elevation changes are done on a single line of track, rideable in both directions. There's a track separation for the acceleration arrays, though.

If you make fort-mode test runs, better block off the ends of a fortification-connected track, or you'll end up with a cart stuck in a map-border fortification. Had to send my adventurer to get it back out, and jumping into a cart causes you to collide with it, which hurts. Fortunately, heal through fast travel still works, so i got use of my leg back.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: October 01, 2017, 04:39:23 pm »

Noticed that animal men can join big sites even over ocean. Generated a 257x257 PSV world of large biomes, and confirmed that animalmen can into ages too:

||

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: October 02, 2017, 10:38:41 am »

It may be that further injuring a limb with nerve damage can restore its function when the latter wound heals.

I had a dwarf with a severed leg nerve and status "Ability to stand lost" who managed to break a bone in the same leg. He was patched up in the hospital and issued a new crutch even when he was already using one, and away he went. I didn't give more thought on the matter, until I saw the same dwarf returning his crutch to a stockpile few weeks later. He still has nerve damage but his ability to stand was restored when the broken bone healed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:23:09 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

EldritchVoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: October 06, 2017, 07:25:44 am »

It may be that further injuring a limb with nerve damage can restore its function when the latter wound heals.

I had a dwarf with a severed leg nerve and status "Ability to stand lost" who managed to break a bone in the same leg. He was patched up in the hospital and issued a new crutch even when he was already using one, and away he went. I didn't give more thought on the matter, until I saw the same dwarf returning his crutch to a stockpile few weeks later. He still has nerve damage but his ability to stand was restored when the broken bone healed.
Motor nerves and sensory nerves are different, is it the sensory nerve? Severed motor nerves are what result in a useless limb, but severed sensory nerves only mean that the dwarf can't feel anything with that limb.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: October 07, 2017, 02:46:37 am »

Motor nerves and sensory nerves are different, is it the sensory nerve? Severed motor nerves are what result in a useless limb, but severed sensory nerves only mean that the dwarf can't feel anything with that limb.

Ah yes, I now checked and it's the sensory nerve. I assumed it was motor nerve damage since he had been walking with a crutch for a long time before his second "accident." But then what was preventing him from standing up all that time?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 11, 2017, 09:42:46 pm »

If you memorialize somebody who died from insanity after they failed to make an artifact, their slab will say "Creator of [Artifact]", even though they never made the artifact.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: December 08, 2017, 11:21:36 pm »

Dwarves who link up levers will get the thought "felt satisfied upon improving machinery."
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: December 09, 2017, 09:26:20 am »

Quester visitors can receive information about the location of artifacts from your animals.

One of my war dogs both somehow knew the location of an artifact in another site and was able to convey it to a random quester at my fort.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: December 09, 2017, 08:02:49 pm »

Quester visitors can receive information about the location of artifacts from your animals.

One of my war dogs both somehow knew the location of an artifact in another site and was able to convey it to a random quester at my fort.
Known issue. If you have any more details to add to this please do so in 0010356, "Animals reveal presence of artifacts to outsiders".
There are several other reports of non-sentient units showing sentient behavior, so it seems there may be some common cause behind most of them.

Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: December 12, 2017, 02:57:58 am »

Yams can only be eaten when cooked, and they can't be brewed or processed; as far as I can tell there's no way to get seeds from them, so they can't be farmed. Is this intended?

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: December 25, 2017, 09:06:11 pm »

Yams can only be eaten when cooked, and they can't be brewed or processed; as far as I can tell there's no way to get seeds from them, so they can't be farmed. Is this intended?

Root crops across the board seem hard. It's tempting to add yam beer, potato vodka, and onion wine (a real thing, btw, a nice sweet dessert wine, in fact. The onion sharpness evaporates before the yeast even gets going.)
Team Bug Fix!

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: December 26, 2017, 12:46:24 am »

There already is potato wine, also, what yam are you referring to? Yams on the wiki the dfwiki doesn't seem to say anything about this, but I know that it can be wrong.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: December 27, 2017, 04:36:30 pm »

Root crops across the board seem hard. It's tempting to add yam beer, potato vodka, and onion wine (a real thing, btw, a nice sweet dessert wine, in fact. The onion sharpness evaporates before the yeast even gets going.)

I always rename "potato wine" to "vodka" in RAWs. Real potato wine doesn't exist, and there is apparently no distinction in DF between making distilled liquor and simply fermented beverages.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 28, 2017, 12:36:20 am »

No distinction yet
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 28, 2017, 02:36:02 am »

Kind of OT: I've grown potatoes for years but have never seen seed pods.  Apparently modern hybrids don't often set seeds.  Some interesting information here: http://www.curzio.com/N/Potato_starting_from_seed.htm
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 148