Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439472 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1230 on: March 14, 2018, 01:09:24 pm »

I figured out that you could use stockpiles as survey markers when doing large projects. Just pick a stockpile type you aren't likely to use, and you can lay them down 31 tiles at a time. I did that to mark out the moat on my current project, a hillfort-style above ground human settlement designed to raise and equip an army for raiding the local elves. It doesn't have a high wall, just a wide moat with a covered gallery overhanging the inside edge by two tiles to prevent climbers while giving me a chance to shoot back. Three drawbridges provide access, with the fourth wall holding my keep. The whole thing is 100x100 in area, providing ten thousand tiles to play with on each level.

Press 'm' when designating things to activate marker mode.  ;D

You can then switch it to normal designations with... Alt-M, I think?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 14, 2018, 01:57:01 pm »

Its m again to switch back to standard mode, its a good method for marking out tree root squares without losing the shape of your construction by removing a tile of designation.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 14, 2018, 01:57:55 pm »

Forgotten beasts can be made into husks.

I'm probably way more excited about this than the situation warrants.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 14, 2018, 02:11:28 pm »

I figured out that you could use stockpiles as survey markers when doing large projects. Just pick a stockpile type you aren't likely to use, and you can lay them down 31 tiles at a time. I did that to mark out the moat on my current project, a hillfort-style above ground human settlement designed to raise and equip an army for raiding the local elves. It doesn't have a high wall, just a wide moat with a covered gallery overhanging the inside edge by two tiles to prevent climbers while giving me a chance to shoot back. Three drawbridges provide access, with the fourth wall holding my keep. The whole thing is 100x100 in area, providing ten thousand tiles to play with on each level.

Press 'm' when designating things to activate marker mode.  ;D

You can then switch it to normal designations with... Alt-M, I think?
damn, i always used p-c for that purpose... at least when aboveground.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 16, 2018, 03:59:58 pm »

You can actually raze necromancer towers to the ground, complete with the supposed government being driven out. Haven't checked if the structure itself is affected in any way, yet to see if anyone can come and reclaim it somehow.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 18, 2018, 06:30:23 pm »

appearently an egg laying entity can lay eggs telepathically.
once you designate it to a zone with nestboxes in the zone, it can lay the eggs - it doesn't matter if it already is in the zone - the eggs will just appear in the nestbox.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 18, 2018, 07:07:46 pm »

Im quite definitely sure that they need to make contact first, then brood over it.

Is this in regards to egg laying sentients?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 19, 2018, 12:53:48 am »

I discovered that dwarves can sleep underwater.

They won't initiate activities like sleep while in swimmable water. But if you dump water on them, then they'll keep doing whatever they were doing. Including sleeping. And they'll get swimming XP while asleep.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 19, 2018, 06:19:49 am »

Im quite definitely sure that they need to make contact first, then brood over it.

Is this in regards to egg laying sentients?
this is what i did: create room with a few nestboxes, create zone n N assign all feathery stuff there - and before even one animal was within the room, a dwarf brought 5 guineafowl eggs from the nestbox to the food stockpile.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1239 on: March 20, 2018, 07:37:15 am »

Player made fort will send out small patrols in the area during adventure mode, and those patrols will camp inside big tents at night.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 20, 2018, 05:46:20 pm »

A metalsmith working around a magmaforge was bitten by a fire snake. He is fine, though.

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 20, 2018, 09:24:04 pm »

Apparently, dwarves can give water to thirsty dwarves working.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 20, 2018, 10:36:35 pm »

Dwarves that learn medicine in libraries auto activate Healthcare jobs in the dabbling skills they just learn, and then kill your dwarves in the hospital. I  hope it is a bug, or Toady really hates us. I dont use therapist and there must dozens of dwarves in this situation.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 21, 2018, 02:55:17 am »

Dwarves that learn medicine in libraries auto activate Healthcare jobs in the dabbling skills they just learn, and then kill your dwarves in the hospital. I  hope it is a bug, or Toady really hates us. I dont use therapist and there must dozens of dwarves in this situation.

All dwarves have healthcare labours enabled automatically i think, just disable it. Ill probably make a bug report.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 21, 2018, 04:06:10 am »

All dwarves have healthcare labours enabled automatically i think, just disable it. Ill probably make a bug report.
Vanilla DF dwarves only have Feed Patients/Prisoners and Recovering Wounded enabled by default.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 148