Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 442080 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1380 on: October 17, 2018, 12:29:54 pm »

I always want to get populations of other races in a fort, build like a human or goblin quarter.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: October 17, 2018, 01:39:16 pm »

Today one of my Goblin citizens gave birth to a Goblin baby! First time in the history of me playing DF has a non-Dwarven citizen given birth in my Fortress. I didn't actually even know it was possible. I will be keeping a close eye on her development as she integrates into the Dwarven society.

Such integration is usually much easier than it would be in real life, because the parent doesn't impose its values on the child (important if the parent is from other civ, i.e. visitor). Only factors are biological ones.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: October 18, 2018, 01:09:21 am »

I got a new computer so I wanted to see how far I could push it with embark size. I embarked in an 8x8 area, and immediately got a notification that I had found a cave. Looking in the units list I found a gremlin and a Hydra. Didn't know you could embark ON a megabeast. I then tried to zoom in on a unit from the unit list and the game immediately crashed.

If you can embark on hidden sites, does that mean you could embark on a vault?
No; in fact, one of the methods for finding a Vault's specific square is to go to its coordinates and find the square you can't embark on.

Wait, you can't embark on angel vaults anymore? I remember pitting my military against the vault once so that I could use the ☼candy short sword☼ in the middle. This was several major versions ago, though...(back when taking the weapon just opened the circus)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: October 18, 2018, 02:37:02 am »

A recent post reminded me of a discussion of insane prisoners in this thread. Looking back at it, somebody mentioned that ghosts can go insane.

It was also mentioned that "you can convict dead dwarves, animals, invaders, or anything else that has died at your site".

Does this mean you can convict and imprison ghosts? In a cage? Is Urist afraid of any ghost?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: October 18, 2018, 03:43:44 am »

The dwarven checkerboard might work on them. On the other hand, they might not be as actively malevolent as clowns, and fail to strive ever upward. This calls for some !!SCIENCE!!.
That one time I tried a vault embark, they did seem to behave exactly like clowns, or maybe like invading megabeasts. All of them seemed to supernaturally home in towards the wagon immediately after embark. Very high quality fun, 5/5 would get horribly eviscerated again.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1385 on: October 25, 2018, 08:41:09 pm »

I got a new computer so I wanted to see how far I could push it with embark size. I embarked in an 8x8 area, and immediately got a notification that I had found a cave. Looking in the units list I found a gremlin and a Hydra. Didn't know you could embark ON a megabeast. I then tried to zoom in on a unit from the unit list and the game immediately crashed.

If you can embark on hidden sites, does that mean you could embark on a vault?
No; in fact, one of the methods for finding a Vault's specific square is to go to its coordinates and find the square you can't embark on.

Wait, you can't embark on angel vaults anymore? I remember pitting my military against the vault once so that I could use the ☼candy short sword☼ in the middle. This was several major versions ago, though...(back when taking the weapon just opened the circus)
Are you sure that wasn't a demonic fortress instead?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: October 26, 2018, 04:48:42 pm »

Today I found out two things : My computer, capable of running Fallout 4 on lowest settings at least, crashes with a BSOD if I try to embark a fortress at a large world after playing 3-4 ingame months as an adventurer... And... now with a medium world... Embarking on a tomb with DFhack Embark Everywhere and trying to claim the skeletons and things inside the tomb will still wake up the mummy. Undead apocalypse wiped out my fort just after starting.
GORLAK: A small, round humanoid found wandering the caves deep underground. Most of its body is taken up by a huge tusked mouth. Its skin is goldenrod, its eyes are red.

Dwarves admire Gorlaks for their impressive tusks, stimulating conversations and helpful guidances.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: October 29, 2018, 03:35:38 am »

A visiting speardwarf whacked a giant olm with an anatomy book so long that he turned into a macedwarf.

Apparently fighting with a book now trains Mace instead of Misc. object like in earlier versions.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: October 30, 2018, 04:03:32 pm »

Today one of my Goblin citizens gave birth to a Goblin baby! First time in the history of me playing DF has a non-Dwarven citizen given birth in my Fortress. I didn't actually even know it was possible. I will be keeping a close eye on her development as she integrates into the Dwarven society.

Over at Simple Fort we have had some demons giving birth to beautiful hellspawn.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1389 on: December 03, 2018, 06:45:39 pm »

• You can't craft clothes for troll, but Moose men cloths will fit them like a charm
• The mongols are best known for periodically going north and south the great wall of china. This is why, in DF, "Monggol" means "Nation of the wall"

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 03, 2018, 06:49:33 pm »

What does Mong Kima mean, then?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1391 on: December 03, 2018, 06:52:54 pm »

Nation of Pearls :U
I'm a bit sad pearls only exist in name tho

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 03, 2018, 06:58:12 pm »

Ahh, so that's why they're "Pearlites."

It all makes sense.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1393 on: December 03, 2018, 07:17:28 pm »

It all makes sense.

This is exactly what I think every time I research my little kingdom's history. "Oh shit, this explains that, it all makes sense"

I feel like a fantasy historian and anthropologist

(Edit : From now on I'll refer to mongols as "wallites")
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:33:57 pm by Cathar »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 06, 2018, 08:36:08 pm »

Tavern brawls can generate Curses if the Tavern & Temple share a tile.  You can also get Cursed by knocking over a bookcase in a Library-Temple combo.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 148