Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443243 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1560 on: May 21, 2019, 05:51:29 pm »

One of my starting Dwarves has a grudge with two of the other starting Dwarves. One of them also has a grudge, but the other is friends with Dwarf A. He’s the person who hangs around someone else and considers them a friend, even though the object of friendship hates him. I sympathise.
reminds me of the four kids of southpark and their "friend" Eric Cartman
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: May 21, 2019, 07:21:13 pm »

I constructed some walls on the bottom of a frozen lake.
For some reason, when I removed the walls, some of the ice remain frozen whe the lake melted in the summer.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: May 25, 2019, 02:09:32 am »

Minecarts not assigned to a trackstop will still be pushed by rollers on tracks.

This has implications because:

Carts not assigned to trackstops dont get held for TSK if something happens to them, and will instead be propelled by the rollers.

Why is this neat?

Automated death machines.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: May 25, 2019, 03:36:55 pm »

It seems the embark wagon is placed in the biome that's in focus when the embark order is given. This means that in an embark with multiple biomes you can have some control over which part the wagon starts in. To clarify: I'm talking about the F1, F2, ... selection of biomes in the embark area.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: May 26, 2019, 06:32:24 am »

It seems the embark wagon is placed in the biome that's in focus when the embark order is given. This means that in an embark with multiple biomes you can have some control over which part the wagon starts in. To clarify: I'm talking about the F1, F2, ... selection of biomes in the embark area.
i always wondered, why it sometimes isn't in the center. nice :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: May 26, 2019, 09:17:28 am »

Whereas you get 4 stone blocks for every 1 stone, you only get 1 wood block for every wood.  Considering the time it takes to haul wood to the carpenter's shop, and then to turn it into a block, there is not only no material advantage to building with wood blocks, but I would argue that there is also not even a hauling time advantage. 

This is mostly with regard to surface construction projects.  Like a Marksdwarf Tower on the other side of a river from a goblin siege.  Setting my wood stockpiles to take from links only, then cutting down all the trees near the tower leaves all the logs where they fall.  This seems to be the quickest method.  Hopefully quick enough to be ready for the next siege!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: May 26, 2019, 09:35:09 am »

Whereas you get 4 stone blocks for every 1 stone, you only get 1 wood block for every wood.  Considering the time it takes to haul wood to the carpenter's shop, and then to turn it into a block, there is not only no material advantage to building with wood blocks, but I would argue that there is also not even a hauling time advantage. 

This is mostly with regard to surface construction projects.  Like a Marksdwarf Tower on the other side of a river from a goblin siege.  Setting my wood stockpiles to take from links only, then cutting down all the trees near the tower leaves all the logs where they fall.  This seems to be the quickest method.  Hopefully quick enough to be ready for the next siege!

Many modifications address this already with reactions attached to buildings that more efficiently split blocks like wood into guranteed threes or some variable amount. Raw wood can also be climbed easily compared to stone and metal blocks so isn't really suitable unless that archery tower has a overhang to prevent soldiers getting inside.

Pretty sure it was three blocks per stone but that might be my faulty memory, 1 metal block per bar is also what i remember i think being the case but there's rarely much reason to potentially waste fuel or time & metal resources over a magma furnace making them, metal ores can be chopped up into high value blocks for raising room value instead at a mason when economic rocks are overrided.

Handy actual trivia, you can train dwarves to climb by marooning them at the bottom of pits with wooden log walls and forbidding doors behind them when they make their way to that burrow and unset when they get there. Just dont forget about them to starve or dehydrate if they can't figure it out. Similar for swimming but obviously its a investment wasted if they drown and the water pressure is too high for them to escape.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: May 26, 2019, 10:46:57 am »

Many modifications address this already with reactions attached to buildings that more efficiently split blocks like wood into guranteed threes or some variable amount. Raw wood can also be climbed easily compared to stone and metal blocks so isn't really suitable unless that archery tower has a overhang to prevent soldiers getting inside.

No overhang, but it has a roof, so it should be safe.  I'll find out soon enough.  Also, this particular setup has an impassable river between the tower and the sieges.  I just retract the bridge and the goblins mill around there until it freezes in the winter. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: May 26, 2019, 04:25:07 pm »

Regarding blocks, you get 4 blocks per stone boulder because you get an average of 1 boulder per 4 tiles mined.

Also, this particular setup has an impassable river
Don't count on that. Goblins are capable of swimming, and may do so if they see a target on the other side of the river.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 04:27:24 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: May 26, 2019, 04:47:34 pm »

I crime group called Glowrhythms is in the Glowing Hills. Must be bright there

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: May 27, 2019, 12:22:40 pm »

Purple Haze?   ;D

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: May 27, 2019, 03:40:22 pm »

There are threads for Funny Names. Please don't post Funny Names in this thread.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: May 28, 2019, 08:53:11 am »

If a dwarf hears of the death of a megabeast they aren't a enemy of (a forest titan in my case) they will feel 'sad' about it.

News got through the tavern about it to land upon sympathetic ears.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 01, 2019, 06:15:53 am »

if using a minecart to make an automatic quantum stockpile and forget to forbid the minecart, it may get hauled to the trade depot because of its contents, just like a bin, but doesnt list its contents, only an intense value (my wooden minecart 15% full of bone crafts had a value of ~1400)

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 01, 2019, 09:00:07 am »

Hunters will shoot bolts at carps in a river. They won't recover the dead fish, though.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 148