Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439473 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1575 on: June 01, 2019, 09:43:32 am »

Hunters will shoot bolts at carps in a river. They won't recover the dead fish, though.
[/quotwhat if you dig a hole near the water and have it run into the hole? draining it so they can recover the fish and bolts?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: June 01, 2019, 07:49:38 pm »

In the bottom right of the screen is a counter that shows how many happy, neutral and unhappy dwarves are in your fort.

Also, doors do not have to be constructed out of magma-safe stone to hold back magma.  I suppose this is a good thing.  I was really planning on them melting for my current fort though...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: June 01, 2019, 09:09:10 pm »

Oh oh, I was fooling around with doors awhile back!

So I was noodling around with a DF-hacked dragon in Adventure Mode, and I noticed-- no matter what I did, I couldn't burn down closed wooden doors. If some unsuspecting peasant held the door open for me, I could incinerate door and peasant alike, but close that door and all my firepower wouldn't so much as put a singe on it.

Near as I can make out, closed doors for whatever reason don't pick up the temperature of the tile next to them, however incandescent that tile might be. Once the door's open, the fire or magma or whatever can spread to it and the temperature'll register, but otherwise the door just retains whatever temperature it already had.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: June 01, 2019, 09:14:14 pm »

I did notice a temperature rise from 35° to 41° but all the doors stopped there.  It seems that magma has to occupy the same tile as something to melt it.  I'm curious now if I were to channel the floor tile above the door, if magma there would melt it.

New Finding: Migrant waves can indirectly decrease your fortress population if the right amount of danger is present.

I just had a migrant wave of 22 arrive - only 5 survived the undead boar herd, while I lost a legendary mace fighter and had to forbid all his gear to prevent losing more dwarves as they try to retrieve it.  Several other dwarves had limbs severed, and more than 5 are now traumatized by the event.  Some of them dodge the undead herds well.  But without any new migrants in a few years, population growth is a real concern.  Perhaps one of the factors in the game sending large migrant waves is to make challenging embarks more feasable.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 09:46:46 am by Schmaven »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: June 02, 2019, 10:45:56 am »

In the bottom right of the screen is a counter that shows how many happy, neutral and unhappy dwarves are in your fort.
That one's a DFHack feature.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: June 02, 2019, 11:02:19 am »

That one's a DFHack feature.

That is a really nice feature :D 

I've mainly played with the Lazy Newb Pack.  I played pure vanilla at first, but the learning curve was so such that I missed a lot of little details, and once I got the LNP, I haven't looked back.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: June 07, 2019, 05:37:43 pm »

My starting mason is a dabbling miner somehow, but I know I've never enabled that labor much less have a third pick lying around. Is there non-mining labor that will increase that skill?

Staalo reported that parrying with pots inexplicably trains mining.
That was in .40.something though; I don't know if it still applies. I think the theory at the time was that using anything from "Tool" category as a weapon trains Mining skill. Pots and picks do it, wheelbarrows, nest boxes and bookcases for instance should qualify as well.

To keep it on topic, I today learned that during prolonged sieges even invaders can go mad from stress.
I also learned that babies can have repeated PTSD attacks from remembering seeing corpses, and that their mothers will drop them when that happens.

Yes, the fort has been going through a rough patch lately.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: June 13, 2019, 07:43:12 pm »

Most visiting scholars tend to leave my fort hauling away the precious texts from our library.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I suppose they might just be borrowing it and will bring it back later.  It is a library after all...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: June 13, 2019, 08:11:24 pm »

It's a well known glitch iirc

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: June 14, 2019, 05:23:53 am »

Solved by making a writing library for visitors and then a reading library for citizens. I think.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: June 14, 2019, 01:10:49 pm »

Solved by making a writing library for visitors and then a reading library for citizens. I think.
it's a little bit more complicated, but that's the plan.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: June 14, 2019, 06:38:23 pm »

Legendary +5 farmers love farming so much, that even with all labors but mining disabled, they will occasionally still harvest plants between digging tile jobs.  Being recently disabled, maybe he's just harvesting the plants he planted?  To a legendary farmer, that would be like taking care of his little plant children after all.

In other findings, cave-ins can destroy raised draw bridges.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:33:33 pm by Schmaven »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: June 15, 2019, 12:50:03 am »

Harvesting plants is a very high priority task and dwarfs commonly interrupt other jobs to carry it out.

Do you have the orders set to all dwarfs harvest?  If so explained and expected behaviour and nothing to do with being a legendary farmer at all.  ;)

Vilkku92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: June 16, 2019, 06:56:20 am »

Sites don't need to be of your civilization to become economically linked to you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: June 16, 2019, 11:55:32 pm »

Probably mentioned elsewhere, but noticed minecarts' shotgunning is checked before too high velocity penalty is applied (in-water collisions with crossed distance above 0,45 but below 0,55 tiles/step).
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 148