Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 442092 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1635 on: August 13, 2019, 10:59:53 am »

I've finally figured out a use for the R menu.

It makes it really easy to track down the rooms of dead dwarves that need reassigning. I've got a "luxurious" living arrangement for my dwarves that gives them their own personal "large" bedroom and dining room. The problem is when they die, the bedroom eventually gets reassigned but not the dining room.

Enter R.

No longer do I have to go through each and every table in the living quarters. Just need to look for No Owner on a dining room, barring taverns and such, and zoom to building items. Works well with DFHack search functionality.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: August 15, 2019, 05:05:29 am »

Swinging bags (definitely with, but maybe without coins) as weapons seems to increase Macedwarf skill. No idea how to do research that might confirm that, but I might look around.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: August 15, 2019, 08:41:17 pm »

Swinging bags (definitely with, but maybe without coins) as weapons seems to increase Macedwarf skill. No idea how to do research that might confirm that, but I might look around.

You could arm a bunch of dwarves in arena mode with bags and let them whale on some unarmored unarmed goblins. After a bit, check their macedwarf skill.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: August 18, 2019, 05:22:26 am »

You could arm a bunch of dwarves in arena mode with bags and let them whale on some unarmored unarmed goblins. After a bit, check their macedwarf skill.
Can't arm creatures with objects that aren't technically weapons in arena mode.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: August 19, 2019, 01:52:31 pm »

I used DFHack to do that, and it did not seem to raise Macedwarf skill. No idea what you did to raise it.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: August 20, 2019, 05:00:36 am »

Some non-weapon objects do increase Macedwarf skill:

A visiting speardwarf whacked a giant olm with an anatomy book so long that he turned into a macedwarf.

Apparently fighting with a book now trains Mace instead of Misc. object like in earlier versions.

Other objects, like pots for instance, train Mining instead. Highly logical.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: August 20, 2019, 04:38:10 pm »

I don't think the pot is that much of a stretch.  It's more like a shovel than anything - good for removing loose debris.  The book training mace skill though...  I suppose it sort of depends on how you hold it.

. . .

It turns out that with certain pump stack designs, trees can grow, blocking them, even while they are actively pumping water.  In the Wiki it is mentioned how the build order affects how water moves, and I went with the method that 'teleports it' in 1 tic to the top (or something along those lines).  I don't believe trees will grow on submerged tiles.  It was a cavern tree, which might.  But if they don't, this does indicate water is in fact teleporting past certain Z-levels in my pump stack.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: August 26, 2019, 10:53:57 am »

When dwarves grow old enough, their hairs turn gray and their vision is lowered slightly.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: August 29, 2019, 04:06:18 pm »

I recently wanted to clean up a cold case of vandalism in the justice system and convicted a dead forgotten beast of the crime.  Apparently a significant number of dwarves get unhappy thoughts from convicting an animal of a crime.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: August 29, 2019, 04:19:17 pm »

Oh, yea. Boy yea. Don't do that.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: August 29, 2019, 07:37:36 pm »

Oh, yea. Boy yea. Don't do that.

Admittedly pretty much everyone shrugged it off as NBD in Mortalcrafts, but one dwarf took it hard and I had her imprisoned in the jail for disorderly conduct and then closed the door to the jail so she died naked due to dehydration.  Kogan was a troublemaker anyways...she was the former captain of the guard and caused a lot of trouble due to her stress-related tantrums that killed one of my best cooks and a brewer but got away with it due to the crime being merely "disorderly conduct" and I felt it wisest to cashier her because a dwarf in steel armor throwing a tantrum is not good for anyone.

I also resolved another case that was catatonic and endlessly chained in the jail.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: September 02, 2019, 09:07:41 pm »

Apparently if a dwarf becomes stark raving mad while chained up in jail, they will be kept in confinement indefinitely and the dwarves will keep them fed and watered long after they would normally die, allowing for a long term source of helping jobs. Not sure if it works the same with Melancholy and Catatonic insanity types as well (haven't had any of them pop up while they're under arrest), but I've had to put down two jailed berserk dwarves so that's a pretty solid no on them.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: September 03, 2019, 03:34:06 pm »

Caged berserk dwarves work just fine. They get fed and watered as long as the cage stays built, and can't attack anyone from inside the cage. Bonus points if you set up a berserk axelord with a release lever.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: September 03, 2019, 04:34:54 pm »

That reminds me... also, when dwarves go insane during worldgen, they won't starve like they would in fortress mode. This one dwarf went berserk and then ran amok for SIX YEARS before someone put him down.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: September 10, 2019, 12:44:23 pm »

Maybe this is already known, but not by me.  Animals can reproduce through cages. 

I had my war animal pasture over my depot including a giant lioness and I bought a male giant lion with no stockpile set up for animals and forgot about it until I found a trio of giant lion cubs in my pet list. 
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 148