Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439461 times)

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1650 on: September 12, 2019, 07:19:18 am »

Also probably a well known thing but one of my dwarves is wearing like 4 crowns at once.
I'm making shell crafts from all the mussle shells I have laying around and the dorfs are clad from head to toe with shell rings, earrings and apparently also love to stack crowns on their heads...
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: September 17, 2019, 03:49:18 pm »

The embark screen allows all existing skills to be improved. ALL. This means you can train your starting dwarves in crutch walking, misc. object using or alchemy.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: September 17, 2019, 03:51:35 pm »

The embark screen allows all existing skills to be improved. ALL. This means you can train your starting dwarves in crutch walking, misc. object using or alchemy.
Actually I think there's some skills like Druid that can't be raised at embark. But then again you aren't supposed to raise them anywhere, they're unused.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: September 18, 2019, 08:24:25 am »

Also probably a well known thing but one of my dwarves is wearing like 4 crowns at once.

Kruggsmash had a dwarf wearing five at some point. I don't know if that's the official record or someone has a 10 crown circus artist around

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: September 18, 2019, 08:35:34 am »

I’d imagine if crown are staked they’d be right side up with an upside down one on top with the serrated top part matching

/\/\/\/\/
————
\/\/\/\/\
————

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: September 18, 2019, 09:03:52 am »

How to wear five crowns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: September 22, 2019, 11:30:55 am »

I retired a fort and founded a new one in the same world. The first migrant wave brought one of my former founding seven, happily married to a mercenary residing in the same fort. Apparently romances can progress very fast outside of fortress mode.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: September 22, 2019, 12:01:20 pm »

I retired a fort and founded a new one in the same world. The first migrant wave brought one of my former founding seven, happily married to a mercenary residing in the same fort. Apparently romances can progress very fast outside of fortress mode.

I wonder if friends will get married if they are offsite guarding your holdings? (not that there'd be any way to know). But this generally matches up to the experience that you will recieve nearly all of your married (though i did rarely have one when i burrowed two dwarves together for their safety) citizens in a pre-existing arrangement from immigrants.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: September 22, 2019, 02:39:26 pm »

I wonder if friends will get married if they are offsite guarding your holdings? (not that there'd be any way to know). But this generally matches up to the experience that you will recieve nearly all of your married (though i did rarely have one when i burrowed two dwarves together for their safety) citizens in a pre-existing arrangement from immigrants.
It seems to me that the game will just randomly marry two dwarves together if the algorithm comes up with suitable numbers, disregarding preferences or any pre-existing relationship statuses.

In an even earlier fort in this same world (this is the third in row) a pair of dwarves were in a romantic relationship but they wouldn't marry since the female didn't have the preference for marriage. After I retired the fort the female married some other dwarf instead, while still dating her original partner. A funny little triangle drama happening there in the data, completely unseen.

I've been able to marry dwarves in fortress mode pretty reliably by burrowing a suitable pair into a tiny room together. They do have to have all the requirements (age +/-10 years, preference for marriage with the opposite sex etc.) but over time all compatible pairs should end up happily married.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: September 22, 2019, 04:12:07 pm »

Just noticed another mildly interesting thing about the founder-mercenary immigrant couple: the mercenary wife has apparently given up military pursuits after settling down to family life since she can't be assigned to a squad. She can be given normal jobs, though, so it's going to be strictly civilian life for her now.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: September 22, 2019, 09:12:43 pm »

Huh. Wonder if that's because she still has her old squad assignment set in a different part of the world? Does she have .military.squad_id set?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: September 23, 2019, 10:35:11 am »

Huh. Wonder if that's because she still has her old squad assignment set in a different part of the world? Does she have .military.squad_id set?
As it happens, she has. So it looks like a special case bug where it doesn't reset when non-citizen mercenaries marry and migrate.

Uhhh... welcome?

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: September 26, 2019, 05:03:12 pm »

Wound infections that do not end up being fatal can disappear if given enough time.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: September 27, 2019, 01:48:04 pm »

Apparently, the game decides in advance when a megabeast shows up, but it only decides what shows up when it actually shows up.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: September 27, 2019, 01:59:04 pm »

Magma blobs hurled by minecarts don't act as lava until they come to rest on floor.

Notably, creatures hit by a flying glob of magma are propelled across the landscape, but not covered in magma or set on fire. A wombat was hit by flying magma three times and got thrown considerable distances, but was apparently never actually exposed to magmatic contact.

Furthermore, projectile magma falling into water that's several z-levels deep doesn't turn into obsidian upon diving under the surface, but rather when hitting the floor, typically after falling through two z worth of water.

(I've been trying to buiild an obsidian bridge by bombarding the sea with magma.)
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 148