Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439487 times)

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1695 on: November 03, 2019, 08:05:35 pm »

I had this werebeast-cursed dwarf tantruming and sowing chaos in his human form (after toppling a temple statue in his anger), so my guard capt decided to jail him. He transformed mid-arrest, but she just kept dragging him to his cage, like it wasn't a big deal. Ha! Currently trying to figure out how to move the cage to a safe location, and wall it up, before his sentence is over.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: November 04, 2019, 11:16:18 am »

Cave blobs can be butchered.

Spoiler: This yields a skin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: into leather. (click to show/hide)

When a militia-dwarf is told to "station" itself somewhere, it will pick a random location within a 7-by-7 square centered around the chosen station spot.
When enough militia-dwarves are told to station themselves around the same point... a formation emerges.

Order from chaos.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:02:33 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: November 04, 2019, 06:25:36 pm »

It seems that aquifers don't appear or form in embark regions containing a mountain peak ^
Not sure if it's typically don't, don't ever, or might, just extremely rarely, but I can't make it happen in 0.44.12.  :-\

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: November 05, 2019, 08:28:11 am »

It seems that aquifers don't appear or form in embark regions containing a mountain peak ^
Not sure if it's typically don't, don't ever, or might, just extremely rarely, but I can't make it happen in 0.44.12.  :-\

it's rather rare in our world too to have them in mountain regions.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: November 05, 2019, 11:50:03 am »

it's rather rare in our world too to have them in mountain regions.
It might have something to do with mountains being where plates collide

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: November 07, 2019, 11:20:49 am »

In a reanimating biome, stationing a hunting dog (or in my case, a hunting giant cave bat) in the butchery is a low-cost way to deal with the constant stream of reanimating skins and wool that freak out the farmers.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: November 07, 2019, 12:14:29 pm »

I had this werebeast-cursed dwarf tantruming and sowing chaos in his human form (after toppling a temple statue in his anger), so my guard capt decided to jail him. He transformed mid-arrest, but she just kept dragging him to his cage, like it wasn't a big deal. Ha! Currently trying to figure out how to move the cage to a safe location, and wall it up, before his sentence is over.

Picking up a cage causes it to open. Dig a room below the prison, wall it up, then collapse the floor around the werecreature so he drops down into the walled-in room.

Cave blobs can be butchered.

Spoiler: This yields a skin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: into leather. (click to show/hide)

When a militia-dwarf is told to "station" itself somewhere, it will pick a random location within a 7-by-7 square centered around the chosen station spot.
When enough militia-dwarves are told to station themselves around the same point... a formation emerges.

Order from chaos.

I don't know that ones is trivial. It lets us know exactly how large to make archery towers to force archers to man dwarf the fortifications. Just need to put a wall just outside and another just inside that radius so they stand where they're needed.

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: November 08, 2019, 09:28:38 am »

Picking up a cage causes it to open. Dig a room below the prison, wall it up, then collapse the floor around the werecreature so he drops down into the walled-in room.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind next time that happens. You see, this time the dwarves didn't release him (even after his screen showed "No sentence pending"). Not sure if it is a bug? He's still being brought water and such, so the good thoughts from that keep him (barely) from going nuts. I think I'll just let him stay.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: November 08, 2019, 10:02:46 pm »

I think you can maybe designate the space his cage is on as a temple, so he'll pray. Might be worth a try.

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: November 08, 2019, 10:12:02 pm »

I think you can maybe designate the space his cage is on as a temple, so he'll pray. Might be worth a try.
Urist McPrisoner hears a voice from the walls
Worship Cagor, god of cages, statues, and screams, and worship Regalia, goddess of gems, blood and futility

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: November 11, 2019, 06:55:10 pm »

Good idea, actually! That way his sanity would be more secured. If not and he loses his mind, I'll arrange an arena for him to "entertain" the invaders.
Urist McPrisoner hears a voice from the walls
Worship Cagor, god of cages, statues, and screams, and worship Regalia, goddess of gems, blood and futility
I'd imagine his jailmates will get pretty annoyed, as he has nothing to do but pray! Guess that's a way to keep dwarves in line. 

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: November 17, 2019, 04:06:37 pm »

Getting sent on an exploration or raiding mission counts as community service in the dwarven justice system. At the same moment when the criminal dwarf exits the map, their sentence turns into "No Sentence Pending." This status will remain after the dwarf comes back from the mission.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: November 17, 2019, 04:58:37 pm »

Getting sent on an exploration or raiding mission counts as community service in the dwarven justice system. At the same moment when the criminal dwarf exits the map, their sentence turns into "No Sentence Pending." This status will remain after the dwarf comes back from the mission.
That should proooobably be reported as a bug. Maybe. ;)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: November 25, 2019, 09:20:50 am »

Due to how easy it is to hit any given body part on a zombie, and due to how how long it takes to kill a zombie with any given strike, undead sieges result in, far, far more tooth cleanup than usual.

However... for whatever reason, the sight of dead necro-zombies don't seem to cause dwarves any emotional trauma. So it all kind of balances out.  ???

klonk
Sigtext

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: November 25, 2019, 06:26:38 pm »

Due to how easy it is to hit any given body part on a zombie, and due to how how long it takes to kill a zombie with any given strike, undead sieges result in, far, far more tooth cleanup than usual.

However... for whatever reason, the sight of dead necro-zombies don't seem to cause dwarves any emotional trauma. So it all kind of balances out.  ???
Just use magma
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 148