Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439494 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1845 on: July 25, 2020, 04:06:40 pm »

On an ocean embark, if your fisherdwarfs are fishing in the caverns, and fishing from a water area that is connected to the side of the map the ocean is on, your dwarfs will catch ocean fish, including shell-bearing nautilus. In this case, the dwarf was fishing directly below the ocean, 100z down. I'm not sure if what he might catch from the same body of water if he were moved to fish from a location directly below the land mass.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

CaptainMuscles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: July 25, 2020, 09:40:03 pm »

The vampire ability to sense living creatures will satisfy your need to "See Animal" through walls.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: July 26, 2020, 05:48:04 pm »

Visitors can be given a "flock" of lag producing, beak dog pets.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: July 28, 2020, 07:36:17 am »

Animal Care labor will feed grazers who are chained/caged, and may feed them some very odd stuff, like captured live vermin.

My dorfs just gave all my cave spiders to the sheeps :(
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: July 28, 2020, 12:43:39 pm »

Hah! I've had dwarves trying to tame live vermin with even weirder; frozen mlk and frozen lye!

- - -

Edit: If you cast ice floor, build a building, cast ice wall, and then dig stairs, you'll get the expected building on stairs. But if you construct floor first instead, the tile reverts to floor after digging.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:39:06 pm by Fleeting Frames »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: July 29, 2020, 08:13:58 pm »

It appears that windmills produce power while submerged in (unfrozen) water.
I didn't have appropriate materials on hand to test any warmer fluid.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: July 30, 2020, 06:03:27 pm »

It appears that (in 44.09, without the latest destruction bugs) Trolls don't destroy windmills in 4/7 or deeper water.

axemangeorge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: August 13, 2020, 06:48:35 am »

Unexpected side effect of using slashing/chopping weapons (especially battleaxes) to dispatch enemies aboveground: hands, noses, ears, necks, second toes left foot, etc. will lodge themselves in the branches of trees up to 6 Z levels above the scene of battle. Like Armok's own Christmas tree.

So even after you think you've tidied up after the latest greenskin raid, your foragers and battlefield-gleaners will tell you they're Horrified after seeing a goblin's dead body. Vastly nightmarishly worse if a necromancer invasion manages to reanimate the scattered detritus in the trees -- imagine a zombie turkey neck lurking out of reach, frightening away woodcutters and terrifying every single hauler who tries to bring a schist mug to the trade depot.

Best way to deal with this is to have your lumberjacks chop those trees down. Don't be surprised when, along with a scatter of logs, rotten greenskin bits rain down on the workers, leading to PTSD-raddled axe-armed tantrums.

After several unpleasant experiences, I've become a big fan of bludgeoning weapons and/or clearcutting.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: August 13, 2020, 06:54:02 am »

Who still keeps trees on the map?
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

axemangeorge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: August 13, 2020, 09:31:36 am »

Sand pear cider enthusiasts?

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: August 13, 2020, 04:56:17 pm »

Sand pear cider enthusiasts?
Im, already enthusiasted to the limit
whadda you want? ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: August 13, 2020, 05:52:04 pm »

Above ground magma is called "lava" on the 'k' screen.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: August 13, 2020, 08:20:55 pm »

On an ocean embark, if your fisherdwarfs are fishing in the caverns, and fishing from a water area that is connected to the side of the map the ocean is on, your dwarfs will catch ocean fish, including shell-bearing nautilus. In this case, the dwarf was fishing directly below the ocean, 100z down. I'm not sure if what he might catch from the same body of water if he were moved to fish from a location directly below the land mass.
This is incredible.  I'd go so far as to say it qualifies beyond 'trivial'.  I'm curious if setting an Animal Trap within the cavern water would allow you to catch larger fauna (sharks) from the relative safety of underground.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: August 13, 2020, 08:38:58 pm »

This is incredible.  I'd go so far as to say it qualifies beyond 'trivial'.  I'm curious if setting an Animal Trap within the cavern water would allow you to catch larger fauna (sharks) from the relative safety of underground.

This might be relevant to a bug where caverns connected to oceans reputedly (and from my save, seem to confirm) don't have moss or any features besides creatures, if the ocean over-literally crosses into the subterreanean realm.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: August 14, 2020, 12:51:25 am »

I wonder if really impressive things like undead giant sperm whales can show up in caverns this way.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 148