Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439477 times)

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1905 on: December 02, 2020, 02:40:22 am »

Human grand treasurers may arrive at your fort and negotiate trade agreements. Sometimes.
Trufax.  I have had it happen.  I don't know if this is mod-related because I had never had humans negotiate a trade agreement before.
I got it in an unmodded but bugged world. Seemingly random layer distribution (sedimentaries below gabbro), random crashes, unloadable save after something happened.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: December 03, 2020, 01:32:05 am »

Humans have been sending intermittant trade negotiators since the update last february, in my experience.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: December 03, 2020, 11:17:19 am »

I found a surprisingly useful feature.

Roots of a tree can spawn twigs and fruits of the tree around them if there's space. You can in principle access fruit trees from below the tree, without putting a dwarf in danger or walling off the tree.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: December 04, 2020, 08:27:58 am »

Roots of a tree can spawn twigs and fruits of the tree around them if there's space. You can in principle access fruit trees from below the tree, without putting a dwarf in danger or walling off the tree.
So can you like dig a massive pit just under the tree (while sparing the roots) that goes to your food stockpile to automate fruit picking for, say, cherries?

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: December 04, 2020, 08:46:01 am »

So can you like dig a massive pit just under the tree (while sparing the roots) that goes to your food stockpile to automate fruit picking for, say, cherries?

I think so, but the twigs with the cherries have to grow first and picking fruit from a tree seems to be a bit buggy if no step ladder is involved. I'll test a bit more.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: December 04, 2020, 02:47:44 pm »

So, if z = 0 is the surface, and z = -1 is where the roots are, you may want to channel a couple of tiles adjacent to the roots so any fruit growing at z = -1 can fall to z = -2, where it can be gathered (because if there is still a floor tile at z = -1, then dwarfs may not be able to collect them from the branch or from the ground due to pathing).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: December 04, 2020, 03:04:44 pm »

Children won't gain cave adaptation. Found this out because a kid who was born underground and lived underground for their entire 12 years of life finally grew up and got sent out to do construction on the surface, and unlike the other dwarf, did not vomit upon seeing the sun.
Nevermind, poor lass started vomiting a few weeks after the fact.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:09:31 pm by NordicNooob »

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: December 05, 2020, 11:01:12 am »

The wiki says that they only get sun sickness if the sun is out, so maybe she just got lucky and it was cloudy where she was? But if she was really taking the exact same path as the other dwarf, that wouldn't explain it. Sun sickness definitely does seem to be unpredictable--sometimes it sets in immediately, and sometimes a dwarf can meander around the surface for a good while before getting it.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: December 27, 2020, 04:34:24 pm »

In fortmode, night trolls can give birth not only of main gender, but gender of converted spouse too. I tested with catsplosion script, so result may be different, if they will breed natural way.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: December 27, 2020, 05:45:41 pm »

Sounds like something that needs testing. Maybe if someone embarked on one of those lairs with like six night creatures?

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: December 28, 2020, 10:58:51 am »

Sounds like something that needs testing. Maybe if someone embarked on one of those lairs with like six night creatures?
Good suggestion.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: December 29, 2020, 06:32:48 pm »

Gelding adult black bears is dangerous.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: December 29, 2020, 06:48:35 pm »

"I would like to keep those thank youuu"
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: December 29, 2020, 07:08:27 pm »

"I would like to keep those thank youuu"

But... but... you're breeding like rabbits!!
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: December 30, 2020, 05:21:32 am »

I just found out that butchered war dogs yield war dog bones.  And from them you can make war dog bone crossbow bolts.  Also, every artifact looks better adorned with spikes of war dog bone.  War bear bones would definitely be a step up from here.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 148