Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 442075 times)

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1965 on: March 26, 2021, 11:22:56 am »

I just released a yeti from a restraint using a lever and the masterwork chain was left attached to the yeti's neck.
What's interesting is that when I inspected the yeti's thoughts using dfhack I found the following: PLEASURE due to WearItem(truly splendid)
Apparently animals can get happy thoughts from "wearing" expensive chains.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: March 26, 2021, 09:15:24 pm »

Yeti seem to be pretty much the same as sheep or any other common animals. They don't have the necessary data structures to store memories but receive all the normal thoughts for things like being attacked, being jailed/released, or giving birth. The thoughts have no in game effect though, since animals can't accumulate stress.

Qwernty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: March 28, 2021, 08:00:19 pm »

It turns out you can build a wall directly on the edge of the map. The trick appears to be to use the 'b' (box select) option and do a number of wall pieces which include areas not on the edge and areas that are on the edge.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: March 29, 2021, 05:28:29 am »

The trick appears to be to use the 'b' (box select) option

Looks like that's a dfhack feature. Seems to have a bug. Not sure what the "Ignore Building Restrictions" indicator does, since I can't seem to change it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:37:51 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Qwernty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: March 29, 2021, 01:00:25 pm »

Ah, makes sense. Thanks Bumber

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: March 30, 2021, 11:49:24 am »

Polar bears have obscene alcohol tolerance.  A polar bear just guzzled 100 units of alcohol and is still walking. 

Bogotyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 08, 2021, 07:29:31 pm »

Children like to play in their parents' bedroom.  I found this out in a fort where I lock my married couples in a bedroom together for a couple weeks every year to make sure I can grow my population.  Although adults never get involved, I find that children frequently end up idling in the room with their parents.  And it is always an older child of that specific couple.  I don't know if this is because the child spent time in this room as a baby when his mother was sleeping or from some other mechanic. 

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: April 10, 2021, 04:20:42 am »

Children like to play in their parents' bedroom.  I found this out in a fort where I lock my married couples in a bedroom together for a couple weeks every year to make sure I can grow my population.  Although adults never get involved, I find that children frequently end up idling in the room with their parents.  And it is always an older child of that specific couple.  I don't know if this is because the child spent time in this room as a baby when his mother was sleeping or from some other mechanic.
The children in my fortress make a point of playing in places where a battle has taken place or in the caves, their sense of self preservation is amazing, despite this none of them have died.
I'm not convinced its always their parents bedrooms, but any unoccupied space with a few beds and a chest tends to get overrun by my forts kids. I tend to make a nice wellroom away from danger with its own beds and chests and the kids just gravitate towards it. I've also repeatedly seen kids in bedrooms that do not belong to a member of their family, so perhaps your forts children are more obedient than mine.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 14, 2021, 08:41:29 pm »

I usually find a large cluster of kids around the clothing stockpile, but I also see them hanging out in bedrooms. I've never thought to check whether the right kids are in the right bedrooms though.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: April 15, 2021, 11:07:38 am »

I had an example in a dormitory where the kids found their parents and shared beds.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg8127615#msg8127615
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: April 18, 2021, 10:34:32 pm »

In my swimming chamber, two trainees were swept through the vertical metal bars placed in front of the drain channel for their protection.
They promptly drowned in the drain tunnel.  Time for a design tweak  :)
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: April 19, 2021, 01:53:38 am »

In my swimming chamber, two trainees were swept through the vertical metal bars placed in front of the drain channel for their protection.
Were they children? I recall a thread quite a while back on how to remove children from their parents using a similar method.  :)

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: April 19, 2021, 10:29:03 am »

Posted to wrong Thread.  We apologize for any Confusion We may have caused.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: April 19, 2021, 10:41:34 am »

Were they children? I recall a thread quite a while back on how to remove children from their parents using a similar method.  :)
No, they were members of my best melee squad.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: April 20, 2021, 06:04:20 am »

No, they were members of my best melee squad.
So... does this count as calling these specific dwarves... short?

Also, on the vertical metal bars issue: Grates seem to be far more effective than vertical bars, but that might just be my luck rather than any other reason.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 148