Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443258 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #2055 on: September 18, 2021, 06:04:21 pm »

Somehow, I have 9 [water] stored somewhere.

If Urist McHelpful dips a bucket of water from the well to give to a sick friend, and then that friend turns into a werebeast, then Urist will generally cancel the task, drop the bucket, and run for his life (or repeatedly hit the friend over the head with a gold crutch, whatever works) but yeah, check your buckets. They might be still holding water.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: September 19, 2021, 01:23:23 pm »

I like to set up a standing order in the manager screen to make 5 new buckets whenever the number of empty buckets falls below 10 (note to self:  when setting up the next fort, make sure to exclude barrels from the soap workshop’s input stockpile…)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: September 25, 2021, 01:01:36 pm »

If you establish contact with a few dozen civilizations you might want to make your depot inaccessible to wagons.  You don't want six different human civs sending 20 wagons all at once, getting into a massive traffic jam and causing all these wagons to scuttle.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: September 26, 2021, 03:09:14 am »

If you want your artifacts to remain unstolen, and don't want to wall them in to a room, then chain any animal next to the artifact. War dogs, a spider monkey, a rooster.... All seem to be totally capable of preventing the artifact from being stolen, for the price of a chain and a pedestal and a good animal husbandry programme.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: September 26, 2021, 04:06:39 am »

If you establish contact with a few dozen civilizations you might want to make your depot inaccessible to wagons.  You don't want six different human civs sending 20 wagons all at once, getting into a massive traffic jam and causing all these wagons to scuttle.

A long time ago...I think it was in Masterwork, but could have just been a heavily modded game - but about 12 races had their visiting season set to winter, and I had generated a high-civ world. When winter came, it was like 30 merchants all rushing to get to the Depot first. What an absolute nightmare...

If you want your artifacts to remain unstolen, and don't want to wall them in to a room, then chain any animal next to the artifact. War dogs, a spider monkey, a rooster.... All seem to be totally capable of preventing the artifact from being stolen, for the price of a chain and a pedestal and a good animal husbandry programme.

That poor monkey must be constantly wishing they could steal that artifact.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:08:55 am by delphonso »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: September 26, 2021, 07:59:27 am »

Babies born to Human parents that are citizens of your fort can have dwarven first names.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: September 26, 2021, 09:53:24 am »

Babies born to Human parents that are citizens of your fort can have dwarven first names.
Now that's interesting. I've always wanted to try breeding citizens of other races, but I've never managed to make it work.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: September 26, 2021, 11:15:08 am »

Now that's interesting. I've always wanted to try breeding citizens of other races, but I've never managed to make it work.
It was a complete surprise, they did it all on their own!  Baby boy born with 1st name Sakzul to human bard (father, employed as a woodcutter for 9 years) and human bard (mother, employed as our tavern performer for 12 years).

All 10 humans have shared a common room with individual beds & cabinets assigned to each for the entire time.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: September 26, 2021, 11:51:37 am »

The ones with dwarven names will also have dwarven values rather than human values!
What's really odd, though is that only some human babies born in a dwarven fortress will have dwarven names and values, while others will have human names and values, and I was completely unable to pinpoint any factor that was correlated with or otherwise seemed to explain which direction it went.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2064 on: September 26, 2021, 03:19:25 pm »

The ones with dwarven names will also have dwarven values rather than human values!
What's really odd, though is that only some human babies born in a dwarven fortress will have dwarven names and values, while others will have human names and values, and I was completely unable to pinpoint any factor that was correlated with or otherwise seemed to explain which direction it went.

Did you check whether their parents were still members of the human civs?  I do not know how exactly petitions for citizenship work, but I would assume it sets the deciding factor.

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: September 26, 2021, 05:18:48 pm »

Did you check whether their parents were still members of the human civs?  I do not know how exactly petitions for citizenship work, but I would assume it sets the deciding factor.
All the human parents in questions had joined my dwarven civ but remained members of their human civ also. So it's not that simple.
It has something to do with the parents, though, because each set of parents had either children with human values, or children with dwarven values, but never a mix--at least not among the children they had while in my fortress.
When I went back to look, the one unique factor that might be at work is that in both human couples who had dwarven-valued children, the two parents came from different human civilizations? Whereas I think most of the human couples both came from the same human civilization. That would be a rather quirky thing to be determining the matter, if that was the deciding factor. I didn't check all my human-valued children's parents though.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: September 28, 2021, 12:03:23 am »

If you create a military uniform that specifies exact match helm/greaves/gauntlets of color white without specifying a material the dwarves will equip bone armor in those slots because that is the only white armor that can be normally made (assuming no weird artifacts) This is a lot better than the white metal armor partial matches uniform I've read of elsewhere because those dorfs will put on metal armor instead of bone if it is available.

JBlak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: September 29, 2021, 08:16:13 am »

Only one dwarf at a time can work on filling a 1-tile activity zone designated as a pond.

So I dug out and built 8 dwarven reactors, and I decided to fill the ponds one at a time, thinking that this would result in one pond being filled quickly through the combined efforts of all my dwarves, thereby mitigating evaporation. Turns out only one dwarf at any given time is assigned to that task. I even checked the job list. Once I realised that, I designated all the remaining reactors as ponds and now there are more than one dwarf at any given time working on filling their own respective ponds.
Shimbilagak

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: October 05, 2021, 03:15:26 am »

I'd like to introduce you to my friend Kubuk `U&rr&ri&rs&rt&r&rM&rc&rS&rp&ra&rm&rs&r&' Rimtaristrath:

Can someone check if this happens without dfhack? It might just be a result of dfhack's expanded nicknames not being sanitized.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2069 on: October 05, 2021, 07:07:15 am »

Can someone check if this happens without dfhack? It might just be a result of dfhack's expanded nicknames not being sanitized.

Yes, it works in the basegame!  The announcement system doesn't seem to sanitise its inputs.  U&rist shows up as such in the all unit lists (e.g. [ u ]nits, personal relationships), workshop, manager, etc;  but the announcement banners and log say U
ist
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 148