Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439556 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #2085 on: October 09, 2021, 05:24:04 pm »

Have you tried adding [CAN_SPEAK] to your intelligent tame animals? Talking is probably required to form a relationship.

Yes, both can speak and can learn simultaneously, from the same syndrome.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: October 10, 2021, 06:40:11 am »

There are sieges when invaders show up and then leave immediately. But recently I noticed sieges, where they don't even show up, nor the SIEGE markes shows - and I noticed them only thanks to dfhack and soundsense. I paused and used a script to check what kind of invaders they were and what number. I have six towers nearby, and in four years had only one goblin siege, all other were tower sieges. This time there were about eight experiments, who were off-map, and before entering the map they decided to leave the siege. My dwarves would never know about this "siege".

Sometimes there are two sieges per season - one is this pseudo siege, where invaders flee immediately, the other, a couple of days later, is the actual siege (from different tower), which stays. Except necromancers, they usually flee immediately, leaving behind only experiments (even unsuccessful experiments can be commanders of the squads) and zombies.

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: October 10, 2021, 07:03:45 am »

There are sieges when invaders show up and then leave immediately. But recently I noticed sieges, where they don't even show up, nor the SIEGE markes shows - and I noticed them only thanks to dfhack and soundsense. I paused and used a script to check what kind of invaders they were and what number. I have six towers nearby, and in four years had only one goblin siege, all other were tower sieges. This time there were about eight experiments, who were off-map, and before entering the map they decided to leave the siege. My dwarves would never know about this "siege".

Huh. I recently was browsing through my civilization's recent history in Legends Mode (trying to find out what had been happening in my civilization during the time my fortress had been running), and it said my fortress had gotten two goblin sieges, when I was quite sure I hadn't gotten any goblin sieges--just a bunch of necromancer ones. If some of the fake sieges aren't even announced as such, that might explain it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:05:54 am by qualiyah »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: October 10, 2021, 07:02:56 pm »

I've had sieges where I didn't know it was a siege, but eventually two fruit pickers got injured and I found the attackers had them (literally) treed. I would have thought a pause and an announcement like I usually get would happen, even if it was when they ambushed the tree climbers.

I have been doing a lot of long narrow forts in order to do a wall-defence type of thing (The Garrison of Hadrians Wall, etc). I'm wondering if they were on their way somewhere else, and ambushed and sieged us by accident whilst travelling from point B to point A through our point C.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: October 11, 2021, 05:42:31 am »

Watching a stream I just found you can create supersonic masses of water with enough layers of water pressure.

In this case it was a drowning chamber 120+ tiles long, that filled in one second or so. Did some math and assuming one tile is 1m2, then the water travelled at more than 400 km/h (speed of sound is 343km/h).

This is the moment it happened, in case someone is interested:
https://youtu.be/PR9JRTQovWs?t=10662

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: October 11, 2021, 06:47:00 am »

Man, I gotta start watching Blind's stuff. That's awesome and terrifying. Impressive the goblins are still drowning and weren't blown to pieces.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: October 11, 2021, 10:58:02 am »

In this case it was a drowning chamber 120+ tiles long, that filled in one second or so. Did some math and assuming one tile is 1m2, then the water travelled at more than 400 km/h (speed of sound is 343km/h).
The speed of sound is actually about 343 m/s which equals 1235 km/h.
Anyway, that's still pretty damned fast. Interestingly the water doesn't seem to impart any momentum to the creatures it hits. I guess the game engine doesn't treat it as proper flow since the tiles of 7/7 water are effectively being teleported from the top of the reservoir all the way down.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: October 15, 2021, 04:45:38 am »

One of the militiadwarves' babies grew into a child and I noticed she was already an Average Ambusher. Apparently babies can learn Ambusher skill when their mothers take them along on raiding missions.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 05:52:13 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: October 15, 2021, 05:07:47 am »

All time fortress Hide·and-Seek champion.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: October 15, 2021, 01:44:01 pm »

While on topic of babies going a-raiding with their mothers, babies will skip growing into a child if they happen to be out of the fort on their first birthday. If this happens, they will remain babies for another full year until their next birthday.

Uhhh... welcome?

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: October 15, 2021, 02:22:41 pm »

You're telling me I could send a baby raiding for his birthday every year and end up with a 30-year-old baby?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: October 15, 2021, 03:01:42 pm »

Its all fun and games until the battle-baby suplexes the snatcher to death.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: October 15, 2021, 04:20:52 pm »

You're telling me I could send a baby raiding for his birthday every year and end up with a 30-year-old baby?
Yes, I suppose you'd end up with an adult-sized baby since growth is calculated constantly but these stage-of-life changes are apparently handled only on birthdays.

I also suspect the baby would grow straight into an adult if their growing up could be suppressed until their twelfth birthday.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 05:22:49 pm by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: October 15, 2021, 06:27:24 pm »

Unicode 6.0 emojis are compatible with notepad .txt files, so you can use a bunch of additional emoji lettering for DF and commented out notes theoretically.

🔎 for example could be very useful for visually enhancing descriptions.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: October 15, 2021, 07:15:28 pm »

But will they render in game?
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 148