Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439491 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #2130 on: January 10, 2022, 09:25:19 am »

Never seen this sort of message at embark:

I guess it's because I'm really close to a Necro tower?

Almost certainly. I had this happen once and experiments would crop up from time to time as single units and break things if they were left unattended topside.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #2131 on: January 17, 2022, 06:54:50 pm »

Today i figured out I can make a "party time" burrow on my taverns and food stockpile to ease my dwarves' thoughts of being away from friends. A lot of dwarves, especially my military dwarves, had only one relationship to their deity even after years of being at my fort, and that made me a little sad that they don't get to talk to anyone. After 1 month of revelry, even my most anti-social dwarves have several new "passing acquaintances." It also takes care of the need to make merry, the need to admire art (since the taverns are decked out with engravings), and the need to take it easy. It's official: Every Felsite is now party time all month!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 07:10:34 pm by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Sternenklaren Ritter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: January 17, 2022, 11:45:57 pm »

My fort is only about 2 years old but the only mayor it has ever had almost constantly has the thought "He is astonished remembering being re-elected." Meanwhile, my paraplegic legendary engraver is getting used to tragedy every time he drinks; "He feels hopeless after a major injury" because the alcohol slightly injures his lungs (they turn yellow in the body parts list when I check his wounds, which seems to trigger a health check that turns up can't stand=badly injured). His best engravings are masterworks of himself engraving masterworks about chinchillas being butchered.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: January 18, 2022, 07:23:31 am »

Meanwhile, my paraplegic legendary engraver is getting used to tragedy every time he drinks; ...snip...because the alcohol slightly injures his lungs...snip... His best engravings are masterworks of himself engraving masterworks about chinchillas being butchered.
Love it.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #2134 on: January 19, 2022, 10:29:30 am »

I...didn't even know this was possible in combat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The million dollar question now is, can this happen to dorfs (and other sentient creatures) as well?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: January 19, 2022, 03:15:25 pm »

Gelding can happen to any mammal other than monotremes (echidna, platypus) and cetaceans (sperm whale, orca, narwhal). The only "civilized" race that cannot be gelded are kobolds because they aren't mammals.
I once managed to geld someone with a bite in adventure mode

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2136 on: January 19, 2022, 04:52:48 pm »

One odd exception to the afforementioned rule regarding mammals are batmen.  Regular and giant bats have geldables, but batfolk do not.

You wanna bite me, mate?  How bout you bite deez n-

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: January 19, 2022, 10:47:55 pm »

It still annoys me that you can't geld roosters/cockerels. Capons (gelded roosters) were a popular food in medieval europe, and even in Roman times.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: January 28, 2022, 12:32:10 am »

TIL: if you have an artifact cage, any other art (including other artifacts) that references that cage will mention what animals are currently in it, if any. dwarves are capable of creating magically self-updating art!

had mine show up as "Defectshoot the giant tortoise cage (tea wood)" on another artifact, took the tortoises out to check and it was just "Defectshoot the tea wood cage". maybe i should find something more interesting to shove in it? :-\

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: January 28, 2022, 03:33:17 pm »

TIL: if you have an artifact cage, any other art (including other artifacts) that references that cage will mention what animals are currently in it, if any. dwarves are capable of creating magically self-updating art!

had mine show up as "Defectshoot the giant tortoise cage (tea wood)" on another artifact, took the tortoises out to check and it was just "Defectshoot the tea wood cage". maybe i should find something more interesting to shove in it? :-\
That's very interesting.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: January 28, 2022, 10:50:15 pm »

Very interesting. It's like the chocolate frog cards from Harry Potter.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: January 29, 2022, 02:48:09 am »

Gelding can happen to any mammal other than monotremes (echidna, platypus) and cetaceans (sperm whale, orca, narwhal). The only "civilized" race that cannot be gelded are kobolds because they aren't mammals.

I think kobolds are actually mammals. They have no scales, can sweat, and have long external ears, which are all usually mammalian traits, and have hair tissue and materials and a "hair" mannerism token, even though the hair isnt actually called upon for any tissue layers or shapes/colors, so I imagine DF kobolds must have very fine, sparse full-body fuzz but no thick hair on the scalp or face like the other humanoids, or maybe only nasal/ear hairs.

Kobolds might be related to monotremes. The game doesnt mention breasts or lactation at all for civilized races, only a few domestic animals have milk, so theres no telling if kobold women have nipples/teats like placental mammals and marsupials or sweat milk from pores like monotremes. Im going with platypus lactation though, if they are a monotreme.

Echidnas, the other extant monotremes besides platypi, have a "pouch" though. apparently not a permanent pouch like marsupials, but they can carry an egg around on their belly by contacting their abdominal muscles. Both males and females. Amazing abs apparently. Could kobolds have a pouch?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2142 on: January 29, 2022, 03:02:13 am »

Echidnas, the other extant monotremes besides platypi, have a "pouch" though. apparently not a permanent pouch like marsupials, but they can carry an egg around on their belly by contacting their abdominal muscles. Both males and females. Amazing abs apparently. Could kobolds have a pouch?

This would cause the myth of male kobolds getting pregnant too.  Oddly in-line with medieval mythology afaik.

Sarvok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't Assume
« Reply #2143 on: January 30, 2022, 10:57:59 am »

I have a goblin citizen in my settlement.  Assigned him to armor making.  Took me a while to notice that all the armor he's produced is sized for goblins.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: January 30, 2022, 05:30:19 pm »

Anyone making clothing or armor will make them appropriately sized for their own species, unless you specify the size you want them to make.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 148