Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 439511 times)

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #2160 on: March 07, 2022, 04:51:38 pm »

This is, I think, all known behavior, but it's not in the wiki. I wrote this up to add to the wiki but apparently nothing I do, up to and including downloading a new browser, will allow me to see the captcha and therefore be able to post this on the wiki. Would somebody mind adding this section to Milk?

Code: [Select]
==Dwarven ice cream==

Milk has a [[temperature|freezing point]] of 10000 °U, the same as [[water]]. If milk is left in conditions below this temperature, even on a tile marked [[tile attributes|inside]], it will freeze, and become "frozen ''{animal}'''s milk". Frozen milk is treated as a cookable solid {{Bug|2787}}, and may show up as an ingredient in your roasts--at 1/10th of the value of cheese, if the roasts do not just melt entirely. There is no entry for frozen milk in stockpile menus, so dwarves will not haul a frozen milk barrel to any type of stockpile. {{Bug|3398}} Attempting to dump the barrel to a [[garbage dump]] indoors carelessly may result in dwarves hauling the frozen milk and the barrel separately, resulting in a puddle of milk when it thaws. Dwarves will not make cheese out of frozen milk. For these reasons, milking industries should be set up underground, as Armok intended.

To move frozen milk to an indoor garbage dump without spilling it, do not use the [[Designations Menu]]. Instead, use {{k|k}}-{{k|d}} to mark just the barrel for dumping.
...Verbatim,you mean? cause this does seem to need some finessing as is.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 06:25:28 pm by Silverwing235 »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: March 07, 2022, 07:59:53 pm »

It's a wiki, edit it if you want. It's not like I can do anything about it, is it?

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: March 08, 2022, 04:10:32 am »

It's a wiki, edit it if you want. It's not like I can do anything about it, is it?

Nonetheless, it is done.

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: March 26, 2022, 04:57:47 pm »

Observations from a long-term (56 year) fort:

The fort in question, Ringlabor, is in 44.12, so some of these may no longer apply, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of them do as they are things that only come up after long-term play.

*Encumbrance: With most dwarves in a militia and uniforms set to replace clothes, most individuals are carrying few things. The exceptions are miners, woodcutters, and a few others that I've kept out of service due to their skills. After nearly 60 years they are loaded down with page upon page of crowns, bracelets, amulets, earrings, rings, etc., and take forever to get anywhere.

*Historical figures: Historical figures of mortal races are dying out. All of the visitors are old; new performers, scholars and hunters are not being generated, so if I keep this up eventually I'll have no visitors except for the occasional troupe that includes elves and goblins. (This may also be reflected in the lack of offensive action elsewhere in the world: the leaders have died off. I'm puzzled by the occasional attacks I see on the map on sites I know are empty; why haven't they been taken over?)

*Geriatric human mercenaries: I wish there was some way to gracefully release mercenaries from service, or that human aging was a bit more realistic. Currently there are 13 humans at Ringlabor, all between the ages of 75 and 114 (every new year I expect half of them to die, but they're still kicking). It'd be kind of nice to let them go home to their families, or at least recognize that 114-year-old archers are probably going to be more of a problem than a solution no matter how awesome their stats are (and with decades of doing nothing but training, these are some killer centenarians). (Or maybe these guys think of Ringlabor as an awesome retirement community.)

*Professions liable to anger and frustration: I take an "activist god" role with things like remove-stress, and have been recording who needs it for 15 years. The individuals with the greatest propensity to get red arrows are scholars and marksdwarves. In the former case, it's because they refuse to do anything else but scholarly work (one of the favorite topics is the retort, which I know is a vessel for distillation, but it's funnier to imagine them working on snappy comebacks instead). In the latter, I think it might have to do with marksdwarves being confined to sealed bunkers during combat, so they don't get any benefits of physical combat.

*The curse of the traveling scholar: The propensity for anger also extends to visiting scholars. After decades of wandering from place to place, they've gotten cranky. Several have gotten into fights over the years, resulting in visits from the friendly guard squad. These visits are brief and emphatic.

*The curse of the traveling scholar, part II: Apparently visiting scholars and performers are recruited to serve when a site is under attack. With the dwindling number of historical figures, a site's defense may be nothing but scholars and performers. I have discovered that in several cases squads from Ringlabor, tasked to raze a forest retreat or dark pit, have killed a string of historical figures that turned out to be visiting troupes and scholars (sometimes scholars who have visited Ringlabor numerous times). Oops.

*Putting on different hats: Conquest of other sites has led the Duke to decide he's duke of these other places, not Ringlabor. (He still demands production of battle axes every so often, so his head's in the right place.) Meanwhile, a couple of times a human performer has been elevated to a lord of somewhere else, but functions more or less the same except for apparently being treated as a squad in their own right if a militia member. I've had to manually add them back when this happens. There probably should be a function such that individuals who become nobles while at a site are recalled to wherever they're supposed to be ruling (or maybe for RP purposes they were named nobles because the people who elevated them knew they weren't coming back).

*Rules for raids:
1) Copy save before beginning a raid, just in case
2) No production of weapons or armor occurs while squads are offsite, to avoid equipment issues
3) Squads are stationed and then unstationed before they are sent so they aren't carrying anything
4) Squads that go offsite always have armor set to replace clothing
5) Never save a game and quit while a squad is offsite
I don't know if any of these help, but I've never had a crash. The tedious bit after a raid is reassigning cemetery space (I just let them pick their own bedrooms again).

*How to make monster hunters apply for citizenship: I have tried this twice successfully:
1) Accept petition from monster hunter
2) Send monster hunter to another holding
3) Eventually monster hunter returns, under a different profession
4) Monster hunter will now apply for citizenship two years after return

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 26, 2022, 05:37:31 pm »

Good to know about how to conduct raids safely.

MasterOfLazdumat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: March 26, 2022, 08:40:51 pm »

Well, and a caveat: not only is there no production of weapons and armor while a raid is going on (bolts excepted; they haven't seemed to cause problems), I stop production a few weeks in advance so there's time to settle any equipment cascades. There aren't many at this point, since after all this time we've got enough masterwork equipment that theoretically everyone should be happy, but we may run into issues when the leather backpacks and waterskins finally fail. The basic point is to prevent any equipment issues: everyone goes out happy with what they have and comes back the same way. (Honestly, I'm wondering if saving is the issue; I've made sure to schedule raids so that the participants will be back before seasonal autosaves, on top of not manually saving during a raid.)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: April 01, 2022, 05:49:03 pm »

I think I've found my favorite unmodded deity so far.

Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

towerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Cloven Asunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: April 03, 2022, 04:36:02 am »

If you make a soil floor cave in, the floor that's created at the bottom does not depend on the nature of the caved-in soil, but on the landing layer. It means that it is impossible to have more than one soil floor in the cavern layer, as they all get converted to fire clay. Could be an useful exploit if all caverns are dry and you have no fire clay, however...

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: April 03, 2022, 05:24:40 am »

If you make a soil floor cave in, the floor that's created at the bottom does not depend on the nature of the caved-in soil, but on the landing layer. It means that it is impossible to have more than one soil floor in the cavern layer, as they all get converted to fire clay. Could be an useful exploit if all caverns are dry and you have no fire clay, however...
It gets converted to whatever the natural bottom layer of soil (or whatever the natural soil type is on the layer it lands on) is in that biome, it won't always be fire clay everywhere. The same thing happens when creating soil in caverns with tiletypes in DFHack.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:38:02 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: April 05, 2022, 10:26:21 am »

go ahead, it's all yours
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: April 05, 2022, 03:13:11 pm »

oh cool!
Meow.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: April 21, 2022, 12:34:40 pm »

*How to make monster hunters apply for citizenship: I have tried this twice successfully:
1) Accept petition from monster hunter
2) Send monster hunter to another holding
3) Eventually monster hunter returns, under a different profession
4) Monster hunter will now apply for citizenship two years after return

This sounds familiar to something that happened when i ran a vanilla game fort a few versions back, a foriegn mercenary was sent off but boomeranged on the return at a variable date after multiple save startups for their own reasons, but for me they broke down consistently even though they had a thresher profession to lean on, thing being that I sent them to a economic site (i can't remember if i owned/didn't own it)

If its not too much, i might apply this as evidence to my report, but it is interesting that this occurs exclusively between combat roles.

Edit: It seems previously, Toady had made a fix in 44.04 explicitly to avoid blank peoples from re-entering the fortress by presumably having them assign a job from the place they came from, so with how early it is in versions to the introduction of sending people, it might be a unintentional code interaction.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 12:42:57 pm by FantasticDorf »

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: May 03, 2022, 03:15:36 pm »

I just recently realised that there is a very large leap in abundance between tree availability degrees.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 148