Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 443376 times)

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #2175 on: May 04, 2022, 10:49:12 am »

I noticed that when siege engine missiles fall down z levels, not only do they survive, but they can fall through a floor into an open space beneath. The wiki says this should cause the missile to disappear but it is wrong. You can take advantage of this behavior to make your arrows fall into a secure area for retrieval, even while mobs are still in the target hallway. You could even have two parallel hallways with ballistae shooting both directions, where the arrows fall into the stockpile for the ballistae at the other end.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: May 15, 2022, 11:37:12 am »

Funniest I encountered so far. It's a dwarven deity too.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: May 16, 2022, 01:07:55 pm »

Forget about the lungfish, check this out.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: May 16, 2022, 01:10:39 pm »

Man, this game spits out strange deities sometimes.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2179 on: May 17, 2022, 05:43:17 pm »

Now, is there some hidden connection between amphibious beings (like the lungfish) and spheres of the watery kind, and flying creatures and the wind?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: May 18, 2022, 02:51:53 am »

Now, is there some hidden connection between amphibious beings (like the lungfish) and spheres of the watery kind, and flying creatures and the wind?

I dunno, maybe? It woud make sense, and I definitely wouldn't put it past Toady to concieve of.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: May 18, 2022, 05:16:15 am »

Draft your migrants into a squad with a "replace clothing" uniform as soon as they appear on map.  I know this is OLD NEWS, but I still find it hilarious that they drop all their clothes and walk to the fort through the rain with their inventory listing "rain covering (all body parts)".  Just picturing the other dwarfs greeting them at the entrance cracks me up: "Oh, we see you already got the message... report to the barracks at the 3rd door on the left... welcome!"
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: May 18, 2022, 02:40:55 pm »

Any flying creature can be a god of the sky or wind. Any ocean creature can be a god of the ocean. Same with mountains, forests/trees, caverns, and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: July 25, 2022, 11:39:58 am »

The wiki states that animals can't get pregnant in cages, which is true. But apparently animals outside of cages can get pregnant from animals inside cages.

I made a room with a nest box for my giant cave spiders. The female had some training, which I wanted to wear off for breeding, and the male was untrained. I didn't want them attacking each other, so I left the untrained one in a cage and tied a lever to it outside. I locked the door and forgot about them. I expected to come back to two untrained spiders and some unfertilized eggs. Instead, three spiders and an empty nest box. The male is still caged, it wasn't a gremlin trying to trick me.

The two spiders had never met before, so the fertilization had to happen from inside the cage. The male had been in my silk farm before being recaged, while the female had been in the animal stockpile. The cage was built with a one-tile gap between it and the nest box.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: July 25, 2022, 12:33:54 pm »

I mean, did you examine the female with dfhack to confirm it wasn't pregnant before?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: July 25, 2022, 01:35:46 pm »

The only possible way that could have happened is if another male spider met the female sometime before I captured her. Testing should be simple enough--just leave them alone and see what happens.

Edit: This may be harder than I thought. She keeps popping out boys. Because they're born adult, I can't guarantee that they're not fertilizing her immediately upon hatching.

Edit 2: Welp. Found it in the wiki.
Caged males are still capable of breeding, assuming the female can approach the cage.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 03:41:30 pm by doublestrafe »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: July 25, 2022, 05:27:25 pm »

Yup, have had a couple of surprise catsplosions when female cats went to meet some caged male cats at the depot that the merchants brought.

Took some time to figure out how they'd become pregnant.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: July 25, 2022, 07:33:43 pm »

I'm not sure how it might work in practice, but does it let you designate the male giant cave spiders to be gelded?  Talk about a job that would give you nightmares...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: July 25, 2022, 11:54:50 pm »

Gcs' can't be gelded in vanilla. You'd have to apply the geldable tag to them
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: July 26, 2022, 06:38:01 pm »

Oh, for the love of Pete...giant cave spiders give live birth. No wonder I couldn't catch them in the act of nesting.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148