Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: On how far can Videogames go  (Read 12238 times)

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On how far can Videogames go
« on: November 03, 2014, 09:27:30 am »

Hey there guys.

Lots of things happening on gaming lately. I, like I'm sure others have, have kept this whole #GG and other stuff out of this site simply because there's other, more fitting places to discuss it. Regardless of what you think, I bring something not directly related to it but that came up, and would like to talk to you guys about.

Recently, a game has been announced called "Hatred". In it, the player will assume control of a violent psychopath who'll murder innocents and cops in its wake. Basically, Postal. Again.

The game has been put under a lot of flak for its content, with petitions for the developers to shut it down and apologize.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Text for those who prefer it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically, I want to discuss whether this game has a place existing and to which grounds can videogames go to, in your opinion.

Seems like there was already a thread discussing the game, so rather, this shall be a place to just in general discuss games' limits and what is or not acceptable, or if there should be any limitation to begin with. There's been many cases of censorship in the past, and not all of them positive. See, for example, a game in which one would control a jewish child during the Holocaust, cancelled because it was "offensive" to some:

http://anonymousdeveloper.tumblr.com/ (Again, ignore the whole Gamergate bit. I truly and honestly do not wish to make this about that; there's been reasonable and unreasonable people on both sides, and I'm distancing myself for it exactly because it has tired me.)

Please, discuss and keep it polite.  :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:59:18 am by Sheo »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the Game Hatred and how far can Videogames go
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:33:12 am »

Is it bad if my first thought on seeing this thread was 'is this another gamergate thread?'?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:33:42 am »

There's a thread for the game in question, and discussion on it. Beyond that, this topic would be better placed over in OG.

Also, spoiler the image, please. Ruddy thing's gigantic. Could also just quote the text bits, instead of plastering the thing across everyone's screen.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:14 am »

OP's avatar is hilariously appropriate.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:39:32 am »

EDIT: I'm retarded and failed to edit something. Just a sec, will edit it proper when I get home.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:04:39 am »

Sorry for the double post. Edited thread to be about how far games can go instead of that game itself. Discussion about limits and other games, be it Postal, Rapelay or even DF itself.

Is it bad if my first thought on seeing this thread was 'is this another gamergate thread?'?

Not at all. As a pro who knows antis and so forth, I'm getting pretty sick of it myself.

Honestly, by now I think the best course of action is to just promote the good things both sides want and condemn the bad things both do.

OP's avatar is hilariously appropriate.
Murderers go with everything.

Seriously though, I think I'm too much of a softie to actually play this game. Hotline Miami disturbed me, ffs.

There's a thread for the game in question, and discussion on it. Beyond that, this topic would be better placed over in OG.

What's OG?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: On how far can Videogames go
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:06:08 am »

Other Games.
Tbh, we've already discussed this and the general consensus seems to be "meh".

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:08:53 am »

Other Games.
Nod. Can you give me a rundown of this general consensus?

As in, the general opinion in what games can or not do.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 11:11:32 am »

Other Games.

Either "this game is fucked", or "3edgy5me"

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 11:11:47 am »

Restricting artistic expression because it's offensive is just silly. Most of the good art is offensive. Which is not to say that all (or even an appreciable percentage of) offensive art is good.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 11:19:13 am »

Other Games.

Either "this game is fucked", or "3edgy5me"
Restricting artistic expression because it's offensive is just silly. Most of the good art is offensive. Which is not to say that all (or even an appreciable percentage of) offensive art is good.

Pretty much this, tbh.

The game looks silly as fuck, as if made from the lyrics of some angsty emo song from 2007, but I wouldn't forbid a game from existing based on content, just as we don't forbid movies based on content, just age-restrict them.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 11:35:06 am »

This isn't a real controversy. The petition has like 700 signatures. There are 700 dumb people on the internet, oh no.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 11:41:16 am »

This isn't a real controversy. The petition has like 700 signatures. There are 700 dumb people on the internet, oh no.
Not saying it is, really.

Just seeing a lot of posts going on about how we shouldn't allow this to exist, and wanted to know Bay12vers' general opinion.

I hope I haven't sounded condescending or knee-jerking at some point.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 11:45:03 am »

Yeah, as much as I hope a "game" like this perishes in flames of terrible sales, censoring it smacks of the same mindset as calling for banning DOOM and Duke Nuke'EM because they were "training simulators" for Columbine.

As I've said before, the day when a kid goes berserk and mouse-clicks his schoolmates to death, I might buy that argument. But not until.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 12:32:54 pm »

Nod. Can you give me a rundown of this general consensus?
It's widely accepted that the game is trying very hard to be edgy in order to cop publicity from the "controversy" surrounding the ideas it presents in order to make more money. Basically, it's Let's Play bait. Thus "meh," though it partially comes from the standard-looking gameplay.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8