Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: On how far can Videogames go  (Read 12235 times)

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On how far can Videogames go
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2014, 08:56:15 am »

So that means all that corridor gameplay and piss-easy difficulty in recent FPS was just a noble attempt to save humanity, all along...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2014, 09:10:59 am »

That explains why I killed a guy after I played Super Meat Boy for the first time. That's always bothered me a little.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2014, 09:40:25 am »

A distinction also needs to be drawn between movies and videogames making people viplent, and movies and videogames merely providing a theme for people who are already violent.

If the guy who shot up that batman screening in aurora while yelling "i am the joker" had lived a couple of centuries earloer he'd be beating people in a church yelling "i am goliath"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2014, 10:04:04 am »

A distinction also needs to be drawn between movies and videogames making people viplent, and movies and videogames merely providing a theme for people who are already violent.

If the guy who shot up that batman screening in aurora while yelling "i am the joker" had lived a couple of centuries earloer he'd be beating people in a church yelling "i am goliath"

Even factoring in the Batman shooting, the violent crime rate is noticeable lower when action movies are in the cinema (they attract young men and reduce alcohol consumption). It's almost guaranteed that less people were murdered that weekend than if the movie wasn't playing - movies seriously cut into drinking time both during and after the movie. It only works for action movies though, kids movies don't have this anti-crime effect because drinking-age dudes don't go see those.

EDIT: For both movies and games you also have to factor alternate activities in - if the guy wasn't playing CoD would he be out drinking or something instead? And it's not just a matter of "well he could be playing a 'nice' game instead of CoD / GTA and get the same effect". Think about a young dude having 3 options;

1. Play GTA
2. Play Candy Crush
3. Go out drinking.

GTA might be his first preference for a night's entertainment, but if you take that away, he's not automatically going to boot up Candy Crush, he might skip to going out drinking instead. Obviously everyone's different, but this equation will be true for enough people to make it relevant.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:13:43 am by Reelya »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 10:09:15 am »

Even factoring in the Batman shooting, the violent crime rate is noticeable lower when action movies are in the cinema (they attract young men and reduce alcohol consumption). It's almost guaranteed that less people were murdered that weekend than if the movie wasn't playing - movies seriously cut into drinking time both during and after the movie. It only works for action movies though, kids movies don't have this anti-crime effect because drinking-age dudes don't go see those.

Though plenty of druggies will go to them
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 10:19:09 am »

I didn't accuse them of being nazis... Being an extreme right-winger doesn't necessarily mean Nazi. The tangible hatreds they can be associated with are already enough to be condemnable on their own and honestly when you try to reduce that to some superficial aspect like which country's flag they fly shows that you don't exactly understand a lot of the underlying issues with a hate group. Doing everything horrid that the Nazis would've done is what made them bad, not doing so in the name of Germany.
Since when does being a right-winger make you a horrible monster? That really seems to be what you're implying, since you provided no arguments to their horribleness than their political opinion.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 10:50:34 am »

The keyword is extreme. An extreme liberal can be just as bad.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2014, 10:53:56 am »

That brings to mind Doug TenNapel. The guy created Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood. Some people want to shut down his new game since he's a Conservative Christian Republican with the cliched views you'd expect, nothing that stands out really, doesn't like abortion, says feminism should "let men be men", not in favor of gay marriage. Doesn't like the ACLU. Those are the worst things the blogger could cite against him. I mean "let men be men" is hardly the worst anti-feminist "hate speech" out there, yet the blogger writing this up makes it sound like he's worse than Hitler.

I'd argue he doesn't infuse any of that "message" into his games, so this is about attacking his creative works based on who he is, not what they contain.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:57:15 am by Reelya »

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2014, 02:06:57 pm »

That brings to mind Doug TenNapel. The guy created Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood. Some people want to shut down his new game since he's a Conservative Christian Republican with the cliched views you'd expect, nothing that stands out really, doesn't like abortion, says feminism should "let men be men", not in favor of gay marriage. Doesn't like the ACLU. Those are the worst things the blogger could cite against him. I mean "let men be men" is hardly the worst anti-feminist "hate speech" out there, yet the blogger writing this up makes it sound like he's worse than Hitler.

I'd argue he doesn't infuse any of that "message" into his games, so this is about attacking his creative works based on who he is, not what they contain.
Or ChristCenteredGamer, a site who's been ridiculed just because it reviews games from a more conservative christian viewpoint, even though it separates games into "Gameplay" and "Moral" reviews so there's no collusion.

Also, pretty sure data shows Super Bowl causes way more violence than action movies or video games, specially domestic violence.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2014, 02:36:44 pm »

I saw Doug TenNapel say some pretty ridiculous stuff about Jews/Israel when I was reading Ratfist. It's been quite a while though. I remember him lecturing a Jewish woman about how terrible and antisemetic Obama was and basically said her voting for him was betraying her race, though not in those words.

Or ChristCenteredGamer, a site who's been ridiculed just because it reviews games from a more conservative christian viewpoint, even though it separates games into "Gameplay" and "Moral" reviews so there's no collusion.

I'll admit I haven't read anything on that site, but saying the reviews are completely separate doesn't automatically make it true.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2014, 02:41:13 pm »

Why is everyone freaking out over Hatred, when in Hotline Miami you can do all the things you can do in Hatred? You can murder civilians, you kill dozens of cops in one level, and the executions you can do range from the sadistic to the outright insane. Is it that the graphics are more realistic, or is it the fact that Hotline Miami is actually a good game with something to say? The former seems more likely, since I didn't hear this much of a freakout about Hotline Miami when the trailer arrived for it, and that's all that the controversy is going off of.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2014, 02:44:20 pm »

I saw Doug TenNapel say some pretty ridiculous stuff about Jews/Israel when I was reading Ratfist. It's been quite a while though. I remember him lecturing a Jewish woman about how terrible and antisemetic Obama was and basically said her voting for him was betraying her race, though not in those words.

I'll admit I haven't read anything on that site, but saying the reviews are completely separate doesn't automatically make it true.
I recommend you do give it a read. It's a great system, and I do think it's the most impartial I've seen so far.

For example, their South Park: The Stick Of Truth review conclusion:

Score Breakdown:
Higher is better
(10/10 is perfect)
Game Score - 86%
Gameplay - 17/20
Graphics - 8/10
Sound - 9/10
Stability - 4/5
Controls - 5/5

Morality Score - 0%
Violence - 0/10
Language - 0/10
Sexual Content - 0/10
Occult/Supernatural - 0/10
Cultural/Moral/Ethical - 0/10

Why is everyone freaking out over Hatred, when in Hotline Miami you can do all the things you can do in Hatred? You can murder civilians, you kill dozens of cops in one level, and the executions you can do range from the sadistic to the outright insane. Is it that the graphics are more realistic, or is it the fact that Hotline Miami is actually a good game with something to say? The former seems more likely, since I didn't hear this much of a freakout about Hotline Miami when the trailer arrived for it, and that's all that the controversy is going off of.
Double standards, maybe? You didn't kill any women in Hotline Miami.

Actually, most of the complaints towards Hatred focus on how it allows the protagonist to kill women or people of color.

Though remember they were forced to censor out that rape scene in 2's demo, even though that wasn't an actual rape scene(It was a snuff movie and the director cuts the take before anything really happens) and had story context(it's how the general public saw the relationship between the protagonist and the prostitute he saved).

EDIT: I have to give credit where it's due, though, and Hotline Miami actually had a message. I remember feeling disturbed doing the whole silence after levels, and the story and its whole feel actually intrigued and interested me.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2014, 02:46:23 pm »

You do kill a woman in Hotline Miami. And lots of black mobsters as well (one of the special enemy types is a black guy, simply because of limited models I think, not actual racism). So it can't be double standards.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2014, 02:50:43 pm »

I would like to restate that very few people are freaking out about this game. The "controversy" is because the petition and ridiculous criticisms are being over-reported because game news sites want angry free-speech gamer pageviews.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2014, 02:54:33 pm »

You do kill a woman in Hotline Miami. And lots of black mobsters as well (one of the special enemy types is a black guy, simply because of limited models I think, not actual racism). So it can't be double standards.
That is true, though it's only one and she's kinda unimportant.

And yeah, the models were p limited in that game, so I'm pretty sure racism wasn't one of the reasons.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8