Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Wanderlust v3 - ASCII with Personality [16x16/12x12] NEW: Mini Set!  (Read 118733 times)

Kynsmer

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Wanderlust v2.7 - Subtly Shaded ASCII [16x16] [42.01]
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2015, 07:54:52 pm »

It's technically 5x5 scaled up with an extra pixel on all sides for padding and drop shadow, bringing it to 12x12.
I'm thinking of making two 12x12 sets. This one, which adheres as strictly as possible to the 5x5 style, and another that allows a second layer of detail and stylizing. This second set would likely not look like Wanderlust at all and would warrant a new thread and a new name. We'll see! For now I'll finish the set you see previewed below. I really like how the font came out. (Still unshaded)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:23:24 pm by Kynsmer »

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2015, 10:21:24 pm »

The unshaded is looking very nice and definitely easy to read (then again, I sit at the command line all day, so I am pretty versed in monospace fonts). Hype intensifies.

Kynsmer

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2015, 10:30:24 am »

The unshaded is looking very nice and definitely easy to read (then again, I sit at the command line all day, so I am pretty versed in monospace fonts). Hype intensifies.

Appreciated!

The first unshaded draft of the 12x12 set is finished.

Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the download for those that are interested. Right now there will probably be a few mistakes/misplaced pixels, bear with me.

As always, either clear out your /raw/ folder or use a fresh DF install.
(If you have a past save you want to use with this set, clear out your /raw/ folder, and replace with Wanderlust's /raw/ folder. Do the same with /data/save/region/raw/, but leave the /objects/ folder if you have one.)

Some things I'd like your thoughts on:

- I'm a bit unsure of how to proceed with the dwarf tiles. With only 5x5 to work with, I couldn't make them look like the 16x dwarves in the slightest. How do you like these little poker-face dwarves I have at the moment?

- I've made grass/lush tiles 2x darker. Do you find looking at the surface layer easier on the eyes with this change? It's something I could apply to Wanderlust 16x too.

- Do you think the walls look out of place?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:44:53 am by Kynsmer »

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2015, 03:43:59 pm »

The screenies make it look really good. Unfortunately, I can't get a good view at it until I get home in several hours, but, from the screenshots, I can tell that I really like the darker grass. It just looks more ... dorfy. :P

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2015, 05:04:00 pm »

Hmm, that 12x12 is pretty interesting actually.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2015, 05:20:37 pm »

Hmm, that 12x12 is pretty interesting actually.

That does look pretty neat!  Maybe for the dwarf graphics only you could break from the "doubled 5x5" and use extra pixel detail to differentiate the dwarves to avoid the "pokerface" smiley? Not sure though, doing that might look totally out of place next to the sweet pixelation of the rest of the set.

Totally love the set though, mad props.

--nomad_delta

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2015, 09:12:11 pm »

Only the greatest tileset ever made, now resized to gracefully fit on my ugly monitor. I can now love it forever.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2015, 08:39:25 am »

Yep, I've played with this for a bit and it is gorgeous. The greyed-out text in 'Jade' is just a touch too dark for playing in a room with sunlight, so I'll probably fiddle with colors.txt a bit. Otherwise it's perfect.

The 12x12 is adorable. Maybe I'll try that on my ultrabook.

Kynsmer

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2015, 08:49:19 am »

Thanks for the wonderful feedback, folks.

Next step is experimenting a bit more with walls and dwarves, maybe breaking that 5x5 rule in a few places as unnoticeably as possible, and then adding some light shading. At that point I'll put an officially updated download on Page 1.

Which of these dwarves do you like most, by the way?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:13:59 am by Kynsmer »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2015, 10:48:05 am »

Which of these dwarves do you like most, by the way?

(From left) 1st and 4th. 5th would be nice for all non-administrator noble professions. 2nd and 6th look a bit too derpy, I think.

On a related note, your default color scheme looks better every time I look at it.
Together with Duerer definitely my favorite tileset currently.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2015, 08:02:16 pm »

I'm liking the first and third from the left. I agree that the fifth looks like a good noble dwarf.

meowchelle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2016, 05:35:59 pm »

i recently started playing df, but i had to sign up because i wanted to let you know that i love wanderlust so much!
it's the only set that's visually pleasing to me haha. i hope you'll continue to work on it (& wanderlust mini because i'm using it right now and i'm in lovelove)!
tysm for sharing!
(◡‿◡✿)

LeUrist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2016, 12:09:21 pm »

Maaaan, I really love this tileset, but, now as the version 43.05 came out, is there any way to play it with this particular tileset regardless, even though it is not updated to 43.05 (yet? I hope for the best) ?

Kynsmer

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2016, 11:43:28 pm »

i recently started playing df, but i had to sign up because i wanted to let you know that i love wanderlust so much!
it's the only set that's visually pleasing to me haha. i hope you'll continue to work on it (& wanderlust mini because i'm using it right now and i'm in lovelove)!
tysm for sharing!

I'm back after a brief hiatus! I plan to finish Wanderlust Mini and make some improvements to the main set. Stay tuned :)

Maaaan, I really love this tileset, but, now as the version 43.05 came out, is there any way to play it with this particular tileset regardless, even though it is not updated to 43.05 (yet? I hope for the best) ?

The current version of the set should definitely be compatible with 43.05. If you do experience issues, install without the /raw/ folder.

Also, Masterwork Reborn players - I will be adding support to both sets.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wanderlust v2.7 - Subtly Shaded ASCII [16x16] [43.05~]
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2016, 03:07:56 pm »

Kynsmer, do you know where the "Dawnbringer" and "Jolly" color palettes come from?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6