Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advice for my food production  (Read 2339 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for my food production
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 05:37:28 pm »

uild, [W]orkshop, sti[L]l

Needs either a stone boulder, a wooden log, or a block/bar of some kind.
Once built, you can [A]dd a job, then rew from plant, or brew from [F]ruit.

Not all surface crops are brewable.  (things like spinach, garlic, onions, et al, cannot be brewed. However, some crazy things like carrots, turnips, potatoes and the like CAN.)

You collect seeds for surface crops, first by picking wild surface plants with the [D]esignate menu, then gather [P]lants. pick corners of the selection rectangle over the ground area you want to have dwarves comb over to look for useful surface plants. Dwarves need to have the plant gathering labor enabled under the farming menu.

But I should be able to brew drinks from plump helmets right? But I'm still not able to do it.

You need a still.

Stills are built from the [B ]uild menu, under the [W]orkshops menu. Like this:

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:41:26 pm by wierd »

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 07:12:16 pm »

Your farms are HUGE.

For comparison, I feed my 120 dwarves with 5 different 4x4 plots, plus a handful of animals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 07:25:17 pm »

In my defense, I am intending an experiment to see just how many dwarves I can actually get to live in my fortress before it becomes impossible to supply enough food and booze.

In previous versions, this was around 400 to 500 dwarves, simply from the seed selection issue. These latest versions have a radically expanded crop selection. I want to see if I can build a true megatropolis, with over 1000 dwarves inside.

Those farm plots are not being used to capacity at all right now. They will eventually though, as dwarven population climbs.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 07:32:30 pm »

If you are lazy, buy as many barrels and foods from caravans.
Before that, just grow plump helmets, it is easy to do, just dig one level below the ground and make a farm plot there.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 10:44:39 am »

Plump helmets are fine to start with, they can be cooked, eaten raw, or brewed and grow underground. However, other crops like grains (wheat, barley, millet) give much higher yields. Just be aware that other foods like cave wheat and quarry bushes need to be processed at a quern/millstone (mill plants makes flour which can be cooked, and leaves seeds) or a farmers workshop (process to bag makes quarry bush leaves which can be cooked, and leaves seeds) before they can be eaten... Above ground crops need to be gathered on site, so just [d]esignate some [p]lant gathering and any dwarves with plant gathering enabled will run off to fill the fortress larder with herby goodness...

Having many children can actually help with farm plots, planting is one of the only labors they can do so they will plant as long as there is planting to be done (in fact, you can't tell them not to). Just don't forget to have some harvesters set up so the plants don't wilt on the field.

As for the brewing issue, don't forget the barrels to brew into. You can make them at a carpenters workshop or make a craftsdwarf workshop and carve large stone pots which function the same... also, you need brewable plants and a still, but it seems like you've been informed of that several times...
Pages: 1 [2]