Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Like Autobutcher but for eggs?  (Read 2999 times)

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Like Autobutcher but for eggs?
« on: November 04, 2014, 10:38:41 am »

Is there a utility out there which gives me control over eggs of various domesticated species? Currently, there's a lot of management that goes into controlling access to eggs that I want hatched. Generally that means a separate hatchery room with a locked door. Getting the hatched young out of the room without harvesting other eggs in a hatchery means manually forbidding them before unlocking the door.

Something mimicking autobutcher's functionality would be nice: automatically forbid the X oldest eggs of any given species. That way, all egg laying (food and hatchery) can be done in the same room.

Is there anything out there that does this? Would anyone else find something like this useful?

Next request, auto-cage the hatched young to prevent FPS hits, then free them as they age out. :-)

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Like Autobutcher but for eggs?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »

If you disable eggs in your food stockpiles and make sure they're not enabled for cooking on the kitchen screen your dwarves will leave them alone.  I've been avoiding eggs lately myself, I found myself almost drowning in loose chicks and poult with the new release.

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:14:33 am »

If you disable eggs in your food stockpiles and make sure they're not enabled for cooking on the kitchen screen your dwarves will leave them alone.  I've been avoiding eggs lately myself, I found myself almost drowning in loose chicks and poult with the new release.

Right, that results in all eggs being available for hatching and the subsequent "drowning-in-babies." I'm suggesting the ability to keep the first 10 eggs (for example) available for hatching (set to forbidden), with all subsequent eggs available for food production. That way, there's a configurable stream of young available for leather/meat/growing-up.

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 02:18:42 pm »

If memory serves, auto-butcher lets you set the number of young to keep.  The only problem I see (other than losing value from the chicks/hatchlings) is that auto-butcher goes after the oldest, largest ones first.  Maybe invert that for juvenille animals or with the massive number of poultry on hand they'd never make it to adulthood.  I don't know though, auto-butcher might already do that.

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 04:39:47 pm »

If memory serves, auto-butcher lets you set the number of young to keep.  The only problem I see (other than losing value from the chicks/hatchlings) is that auto-butcher goes after the oldest, largest ones first.  Maybe invert that for juvenille animals or with the massive number of poultry on hand they'd never make it to adulthood.  I don't know though, auto-butcher might already do that.

Right. That would get you limits on the young. I'm talking about at the egg level. Getting to the hatching stage means locking the door to the hatchery, which means keeping it segregated from everything else. As opposed to a single room with some eggs for hatching, some for food, etc.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:41:25 pm by jwhite.df »

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 06:13:24 am »

When selecting which animals to butcher next, Autobutcher picks the oldest adults (for maximum meat, bones, leather, ...) and the youngest juveniles (to ensure the correct amount of older juveniles reach adult age).

I agree that auto-forbidding an appropriate amount of eggs would be a nice feature, though.