Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 219

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 145571 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2670 on: January 24, 2015, 10:18:00 am »

There was UN mandate (approved by Russia as well) for Libya, though. I think we've discussed it here before.

Our foreign affairs minister claimed that Russia abstained from signing that, and didn't put veto on it. But my memory might fail me, as well as my news sources.

Considering how Russia has used its veto right more often than any other nation and could have used it there too, abstaining/not vetoing/accepting are more or less the same thing.
Information: at the time of that, the president of Russia was Medvedev, who's noted for his liberal views, has an education of a lawyer, and in general is very West-leaning individual. Many people in Russia has not agreed with his decision, especially after the "no-fly" zone started to include ground operations.

It wasnt a "no-fly zone". The resolution has been linked here before and you must have read it. I suppose thats what the media tells in Russia, that they were fooled? Funny, with a veto and everything.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: January 24, 2015, 10:19:28 am »

I was under the impression that the US dragged Britian into it rather than them joining independently as a wingman of sorts.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: January 24, 2015, 10:20:11 am »

Ahem, Sheb runs Europolitics thread, here we discuss mostly that landmass that divides Finland and North Korea.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybodyís gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: January 24, 2015, 10:21:18 am »

There was UN mandate (approved by Russia as well) for Libya, though. I think we've discussed it here before.

Our foreign affairs minister claimed that Russia abstained from signing that, and didn't put veto on it. But my memory might fail me, as well as my news sources.

Considering how Russia has used its veto right more often than any other nation and could have used it there too, abstaining/not vetoing/accepting are more or less the same thing.
Information: at the time of that, the president of Russia was Medvedev, who's noted for his liberal views, has an education of a lawyer, and in general is very West-leaning individual. Many people in Russia has not agreed with his decision, especially after the "no-fly" zone started to include ground operations.

It wasnt a "no-fly zone". The resolution has been linked here before and you must have read it. I suppose thats what the media tells in Russia, that they were fooled? Funny, with a veto and everything.
My mind just refuses to accept the other possibility. But I suppose that's Medvedev the "IPhone-chik" for you!
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: January 24, 2015, 10:25:00 am »

There it is, I got 404 error on the official UN site so heres (supposedly) the same document from NATO:

http://www.nato.int/nato_static/assets/pdf/pdf_2011_03/20110927_110311-UNSCR-1973.pdf

4. Authorizes Member States that have notified the Secretary-General,
acting nationally or through regional organizations or arrangements, and acting in
cooperation with the Secretary-General, to take all necessary measures,
notwithstanding paragraph 9 of resolution 1970 (2011), to protect civilians and
civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya,
including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any
part of Libyan territory, and requests the Member States concerned to inform the
Secretary-General immediately of the measures they take pursuant to the
authorization conferred by this paragraph which shall be immediately reported to
the Security Council;

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: January 24, 2015, 10:48:14 am »

Fun fact: NATO (Britain, at least) had troops on the ground in Libya.
But see, they weren't occupying or annexing the territory.
Thus, they have a moral high-ground over those occupiers who dare to instate a rule of law in the area they occupy!
Clearly, killing the only person who kept the tribes in check and leaving the country to rot in a multi-year long civil war between tribes and religious fanatics is much better, moral, and just, than occupation!
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: January 24, 2015, 11:32:45 am »

... and if the West had gone in with boots on the ground, you'd by crying about the violation of the UN constraints.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: January 24, 2015, 11:33:15 am »

Yeah, it's not like the West had the right to occupy the place.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which donít yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: January 24, 2015, 12:24:33 pm »

There's a palpable smell of fire in this thread, reminding me of the previous dead Ukraine threads. I'm trying not to lose my emotions and join the fight, because my participation would be counterproductive and ultimately pointless.

Here's a video by two amateur inventors from Lugansk showing the damage to the city caused by the war. It was shot in early autumn 2014, but due to a neverending blackout in Lugansk, it was uploaded only now. It's still harrowing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:28:40 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: January 24, 2015, 12:37:36 pm »

http://putnik1.livejournal.com/3790045.html (Russian)
Putnik1 warns about possible provocative false-flag operation in Mariupol by Ukrainian special forces. This operation together with the recent unidentified shelling would make a powerful anti-russian informational effect.

http://ria.ru/world/20150124/1044114975.html (Russian)
Head of the Peoples Republic of Donetsk Zaharchenko made a statement, that his forces will NOT attempt to get into the city of Mariupol. According to his claims, he ordered to suppress Ukrainian military units, located outside the civil area.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: January 24, 2015, 12:42:17 pm »

OSCE observers possibly? :)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: January 24, 2015, 12:43:56 pm »

Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybodyís gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: January 24, 2015, 12:46:18 pm »

OSCE observers possibly? :)
They don't wear military uniform, from other videos with OSCE in them.

What are English-speaking people in soldier's uniforms doing in Mariupol???

I'm not sure who spoke English in that video. Probably ivze is right on that one.
2 minute 33-36 seconds - you can hear a soldier sayion "out of my face, out of my face please" while shielding his face from the camera with hand.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 219