Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 241846 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #360 on: November 27, 2014, 01:15:58 pm »

My expectations of future went like that

February 2014: I worried that Yanukovitch will bring tanks on the streets, getting support from Russia and Ukraine getting Syria like civil war. That never happened
March 2014: I worried that  Russia will start full scale invasion that would crash Ukrainian army in weeks. That never happened
In April 2014: I worried That Slavyanks-like revolts will happen in many Ukrainian regions. That never happened

And so on

Nowadays I am worried that economy will collapse and\or we'll get serious destabilizing unrest from people pissed that our reforms are crawling. :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 27, 2014, 01:37:23 pm »

My expectations of future went like that

February 2014: I worried that Yanukovitch will bring tanks on the streets, getting support from Russia and Ukraine getting Syria like civil war. That never happened
March 2014: I worried that  Russia will start full scale invasion that would crash Ukrainian army in weeks. That never happened
In April 2014: I worried That Slavyanks-like revolts will happen in many Ukrainian regions. That never happened

And so on

Nowadays I am worried that economy will collapse and\or we'll get serious destabilizing unrest from people pissed that our reforms are crawling. :)
And that's not gonna happen.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 27, 2014, 02:01:11 pm »

French parmigiano

Yeah, where the fuck is French Parmigiano? I cannot find Morrocan vodka, Spanish emmenthal or German porto either!
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 27, 2014, 02:09:16 pm »

For all we know hedgehog might be a delicacy. The hog part of the name can't be an accident.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 27, 2014, 02:18:09 pm »

For all we know hedgehog might be a delicacy. The hog part of the name can't be an accident.

That's not why the hog part of the name is there, see the second paragraph of en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog

They have been eaten in many parts of the world and still are in some places.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 27, 2014, 03:35:27 pm »

USD/RUB
+1.650
+3.48%

Question: How many $billions Russian central bank will spend tomorrow?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 28, 2014, 03:31:30 am »

Likely related to this news: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30223721
Looking ahead the OPEC secretariat forecast non-OPEC supply next year to grow by more than the demand for oil.

That would squeeze the group even more, and aggravate the downward pressure on prices. Good news for OPEC's customers but very bad news for the more hard-pressed of its members - including Iran, Venezuela and Nigeria.
Following the announcement Brent crude hit its lowest since August 2010, falling below $72 a barrel, before settling at $72.82, 5% drop on the day.
By the sounds of things, sanctions or no, Russia and several other nations are about to get hit really hard with the full force  behind the term "resource curse."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 28, 2014, 03:35:36 am »

USD/RUB
+1.650
+3.48%

Question: How many $billions Russian central bank will spend tomorrow?
Dunno, they've denounced the corridor a while ago and put ruble into free-floating mode.  Which means no guarantee that the Central Bank will even intervene.

Anyway, what OPEC does is probably motivated by politics more than by economics.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 28, 2014, 05:50:59 am »

They were talking about non-OPEC sources, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 28, 2014, 05:53:48 am »

But deciding to stop the drop in prices because of USA's fracking oil by... dropping the prices on oil seems a little bit ridiculous to me.

It's not like fracking oil is an order of magnitude more costly to produce or anything and therefore wouldn't even drop the prices more than they've already dropped...
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 28, 2014, 09:03:49 am »

Russia's economic apocalypse after drop in oil prices has been predicted several times in the past and has yet to pass, so I am not overly worried about our economics.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 28, 2014, 09:39:31 am »

Question is not how low oil prices are, question is how long that kind of low prices will hold
This year is not a year of low average price so no real problems for Russian budget

Next year may be much more entertaining. Or not. If I could predict oil prices I would go to a stock market to earn millions

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 28, 2014, 09:39:42 am »

When your entire economic policy is based on the stability of your oil revenues yeah it's kinda an issue

Spin however you want, OPEC not cutting production is a death knell in this situation for the ruble. And really shitty news for US shale which has irrational promises behind it anyway. The OPEC will not cut production to save the asses of Rosneft and small US shale. It's lovely to see the actual free market determining how much oil should be priced instead of it being overinflated thanks to production games. The Saudis and Kuwaitis have commented that they are no longer a swing producer. They are fine with oil at 100, 80, 60, 40. Mostly to fuck with the US and Russia.

Oil at levels right now is recession trigger for russia. The price of not diversifying your economy because you're building it around increasing your 20 friend's wealth.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:50:26 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 28, 2014, 09:47:29 am »

Russia's economic apocalypse after drop in oil prices has been predicted several times in the past and has yet to pass, so I am not overly worried about our economics.

"Apocalypse" seems like an exaggeration but if you want to see an economic trainwreck, it's already here.  Crashes are relative to where you start at.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 28, 2014, 10:03:38 am »

"Apocalypse" seems like an exaggeration but if you want to see an economic trainwreck, it's already here.  Crashes are relative to where you start at.

How do you think, how much different situation would be if oil price stayed around $100 per barrel?
I suspect that capital flight and no access to new Western loans is more damaging for Russia than current oil prices, am I right?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 220