Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 241841 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2595 on: January 23, 2015, 01:41:30 am »

Have they ruled out the possibility of breathing in some sort of contaminant from the building ruins?

Also, if they actually did resort to chemical weapons, that's just low.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: January 23, 2015, 01:44:53 am »

Have they ruled out the possibility of breathing in some sort of contaminant from the building ruins?

I've heard version that it was from burning plastic. These things tend to release unbreathable stuff when they burn. And there would be plenty of plastic in the Donetzk new terminal, because it's a modern building.
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: January 23, 2015, 01:45:17 am »

What other anecdotes?

Yeah, that's kinda my point.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: January 23, 2015, 01:53:36 am »

So you're point is that the OSCE didn't report any anecdotes of a potential chemical attack except for that one soldier telling one observer some guys in his units had symptoms that could be from a gas attack or a bunch of other thing, so that's proof of... something?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: January 23, 2015, 01:54:56 am »

I've heard version that it was from burning plastic. These things tend to release unbreathable stuff when they burn. And there would be plenty of plastic in the Donetzk new terminal, because it's a modern building.

Not to mention fumes from lots of different things. I assume they were holed up somewhere with poor ventilation, so, yeah.... I doubt the dust from the ruins is great for your lungs either.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: January 23, 2015, 02:25:48 am »

So you're point is that the OSCE didn't report any anecdotes of a potential chemical attack except for that one soldier telling one observer some guys in his units had symptoms that could be from a gas attack or a bunch of other thing, so that's proof of... something?

The OSCE isn't the type of organisation to just throw accusations of that around, and they don't just blithely cite anecdotes of that nature. But that's fine, giving Russia the benefit of the doubt no matter what the situation on the ground is has led to this situation being where it is currently anyway, so what's the difference?

Just there's been other reports of chemical weapon usage in the Donetsk area this week, from both sides, even Russian state media. Would sure be odd if Ukraine was using chemical weapons they don't have [because they were given to Russia] on their own entrenched troops.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: January 23, 2015, 02:31:04 am »

If we define neo-Nazism as simply militant nationalism, then you'd better start practicing Sieg Heiling, monsieur "I will be on the barricades, defending my beloved EU from Putin!"
Knit, let me say this in the utmost possible clarity:
Fuck. You.
Sorry.

I said something really stupid there, didn't I?

@Mictlan: There's still no actual evidence, or indeed evidence at all, of anyone using anything chemical, only an accusation by the DNR that merely states that there was a gas cloud after the shells hit and a testimony of one Ukrainian soldier who said that his comrades are suffering from symptoms that may have been caused by gas. For all we know, that gas cloud simply could've been the result of something plastic or resin burning.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:21:47 am by Knit tie »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: January 23, 2015, 05:06:41 am »

Again I would like to say a word against Ukraine discussion. You guys aren't going to change a darn thing in what's going on there arguing a bunch of people on the internet. All you can achieve is pointless prejudice towards each other based on your local news sources, all of which twist the information in someone's favor. There can be no civil discussion on this particular topic right now. Leave it be.

As you might notice, several times before I tried to bring in some news of Russian life that you might find interesting, but you tend to ignore them and proceed with that endless quarreling of yours.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: January 23, 2015, 05:12:17 am »

Shut up, you coward, there can be no peace in this thread until those kafir accept our faith!
 :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: January 23, 2015, 05:13:47 am »

The OSCE isn't the type of organisation to just throw accusations of that around, and they don't just blithely cite anecdotes of that nature. But that's fine, giving Russia the benefit of the doubt no matter what the situation on the ground is has led to this situation being where it is currently anyway, so what's the difference?

True, but the OSCE doesn't even use the work gas. Or state that they observed the symptoms first-hand.

Just there's been other reports of chemical weapon usage in the Donetsk area this week, from both sides, even Russian state media. Would sure be odd if Ukraine was using chemical weapons they don't have [because they were given to Russia] on their own entrenched troops.

You first link just cite the same OSCE snippets. The separatist just report a sulfur smell after an explosion and difficulties breathing, which on its own doesn't make enough for a gas attack. No one even died, what kind of gas it is?

I wonder if someone may have used tear gas of some kind maybe. Which funnily enough is illegal to use as a weapon of war.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: January 23, 2015, 05:53:54 am »

There are an interesting screenshot from Lifenews report from Donetsk Airport.

Sure, this gas mask is a coincidence
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: January 23, 2015, 06:04:13 am »

No, it's a part of a standard soldier's loadout. Also, gas masks are routinely used against smoke and dust, which are both abundant in recently shelled buildings.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: January 23, 2015, 06:14:13 am »

No, it's a part of a standard soldier's loadout. Also, gas masks are routinely used against smoke and dust, which are both abundant in recently shelled buildings.

To add: the assault troops used shaped charges to bring down the walls of the building against the defenders. Having a gas mask in this situation would not be surprising, since, you know, lots of dust.
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: January 23, 2015, 06:22:46 am »

"Gas masks" are indeed very standard issue. Besides, wearing one helps little to nothing(basically just protects ones eyes, doesnt stop from dying) against several combat gases introduced in 1916 or so already...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: January 23, 2015, 06:24:05 am »

Don't old gas masks tend to have asbestos in the filters anyway :P?
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 220