Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 239620 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2625 on: January 23, 2015, 12:33:37 pm »

Unless it is an answer to the same order in Ukrainian forces (I haven't been following the topic for awhile, I don't know if there was one), screw that guy.
Even if it is, it still is unacceptable.
Knit, what's your take on this?
That's just political posturing that has been exagerrated by the source. Zakharchenko hasn't given the order yet, and I seriously doubt it that he ever will, due to not being an idiot and realising that this will be borderline suicidal. And even then it can be easily shot down by Putin, who still wants to not inflate this conflict any more than necessary.

TL,DR: Like that "gay driver" law - much ado about nothing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: January 23, 2015, 12:34:15 pm »

He is also saying that he will no longer try to establish a truce and will move his forces to the border and they'll attack if they see a threat. The no longer trying to establish a truce is understandable, given how previous ceasefires and truces went. However, the moving the forces to the border and attacking if they see a threat, well, I can see lots of ways that could go wrong, for one, the Ukranian commanders might view that as an invasion or preparing for an invasion and attack anyway, or they might attack something that they think is a threat and create an even bigger fight.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: January 23, 2015, 12:36:56 pm »

Unless it is an answer to the same order in Ukrainian forces (I haven't been following the topic for awhile, I don't know if there was one), screw that guy.
That's just political posturing that has been exagerrated by the source. Zakharchenko hasn't given the order yet, and I seriously doubt it that he ever will, due to not being an idiot and realising that this will be borderline suicidal. And even then it can be easily shot down by Putin, who still wants to not inflate this conflict any more than necessary.

Have you actually listened to the interview? Did you hear how he said the words "I'll give an order to no longer take prisoners"?

He will fucking do it. He's a serious as a person at war can be.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: January 23, 2015, 12:39:57 pm »

He is also saying that he will no longer try to establish a truce and will move his forces to the border and they'll attack if they see a threat. The no longer trying to establish a truce is understandable, given how previous ceasefires and truces went. However, the moving the forces to the border and attacking if they see a threat, well, I can see lots of ways that could go wrong, for one, the Ukranian commanders might view that as an invasion or preparing for an invasion and attack anyway, or they might attack something that they think is a threat and create an even bigger fight.
He says something quite different in Russian: Zakharchenko wants no further truces until the Ukrainians have been kicked out of the Donetskaya and Luganskaya oblasts, but then the rebel advance will stop period, with no further attacks into the territory of Ukraine proper, and he also states that all attacking forces will be responded to with force. There's nothing about any preemptive attacks there.

Have you actually listened to the interview? Did you hear how he said the words "I'll give an order to no longer take prisoners"?

He will fucking do it. He's a serious as a person at war can be.
Sergarr, do you honestly think a politician can't simply make threats? To sound threatening and then do nothing afterwards?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:41:28 pm by Knit tie »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: January 23, 2015, 12:44:41 pm »

He mentions that he will push Ukrainian forces form the cities and won't remove the forces from the front line.

He uses a peculiar term for Front line - разграничительная линия - which means "the line that divides". It may refer to state borders, but it may refer to front line as well. That might be the cause of the misconception.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: January 23, 2015, 12:46:07 pm »

How about we wait a bit and see what he actually does, instead of reading into his words? I think that would be a smarter thing to do.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: January 23, 2015, 12:46:37 pm »

I meant from the Ukranian perspective, given how that's what Russia did, quick build up and then surprise attack. Seriously doubt the Donbass people would be able to pull that off on that kind of scale though.

It's also possible something got lost in the translation because Google translate.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: January 23, 2015, 12:49:27 pm »

How about we wait a bit and see what he actually does, instead of reading into his words? I think that would be a smarter thing to do.

Fully agreed.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: January 23, 2015, 12:51:26 pm »

True, it could be hot air for all we know.

Fully agreed.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: January 23, 2015, 12:54:30 pm »

Anyway, news from the front.

Cassad-pasha Al Novorossiya reports that Ukraine has started sending in its reserves, the conflict has intensified even further and depending on the situation, we might actually see some "North Wind blowing" - actual Russian army actually fighting.

EDIT: McCain has announced that Ukraine will start getting actual arms soon. Two possible predictions: if Ukraine has already been covertly getting arms from the USA, then nothing serious will happen, if not, then Ukraine is screwed.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:58:45 pm by Knit tie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: January 23, 2015, 12:59:46 pm »

I think you mean a nor'easter /stupidjoke

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: January 23, 2015, 01:00:36 pm »

EDIT: McCain has announced that Ukraine will start getting actual arms soon. Two possible predictions: if Ukraine has already been covertly getting arms from the USA, then nothing serious will happen, if not, then Ukraine is screwed.

Why would Ukraine be screwed? Finally this can turn into what it should've turned into months ago: A repeat of the first Afghanistan war.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: January 23, 2015, 01:02:43 pm »

Why would Ukraine be screwed? Finally this can turn into what it should've turned into months ago: A repeat of the first Afghanistan war.
There is a distinct lack of mountains to hide in, though...
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: January 23, 2015, 01:04:29 pm »

But Ukrainians are white, remember? The world cares about white people!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: January 23, 2015, 01:10:32 pm »

Ukrainians are white

pff, nobody other than protestant anglo-saxons is white

what is white anyway

goddamn racists getting in the way in my casual reading of bay12's most entertaining argument simulator
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 220