Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 220

Author Topic: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России  (Read 239408 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России
« Reply #2700 on: January 24, 2015, 01:45:31 pm »

Both Russian and Ukrainian sources state that an emergency session of the Ukrainian parliament is to be held on Monday the 26th of January. It's speculated that Rada will enact martial law in Ukraine.

The question is, how decisive the actions of the opposing parties will be? I think if things get really shitty, NATO can probably even launch a military intervention of their own in the near future instead of sending advisors and small arms, and after that, an open full-scale war between NATO and Russia with its allies can easily break out.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:51:27 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: January 24, 2015, 01:48:21 pm »

Both Russian and Ukrainian sources state that an emergency session of the Ukrainian parliament is to be held on Monday the 26th of January. It's speculated that Rada will enact martial law in Ukraine.
They won't do it, since it'll cut off the IMF funding, and without IMF funding, Ukraine is completely and utterly screwed beyond belief.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: January 24, 2015, 01:53:03 pm »

Col. Cassad's update on the battles. So far, the rebels are slowly advancing, but the AFU are showing great tenacity and bravery in defense.
It's to be expected, since they're a Slav nation (and more importantly, Slav culture), and all Slav nations/cultures have that common trait.
Ukrainians fought the Grand Army and stormed Berlin - no matter how harebrained their commanders are, the common soldiers are not going to yield easily. Already, there are reports of rebels taking heavy losses.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: January 24, 2015, 01:57:38 pm »

They won't do it, since it'll cut off the IMF funding, and without IMF funding, Ukraine is completely and utterly screwed beyond belief.
Eh, the US will simply fund Ukraine through other means.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: January 24, 2015, 02:37:33 pm »

I guess this is a NATO adviser too, then. Or probably a volunteer, seeing as he's from Azov battalion judging by the emblem and the video origin.
(14 minute 30-50+ seconds, the person to the right appears to be speaking english clearly, the person holding the camera is speaking broken english to him)

As a native English speaker, neither person sounds quite "right" to me, and even the better English speaker has a slight eastern "twang" to his speech. Why are they speaking in English?

Of course, it is a massive stretch to pin anything on the identities on the individuals in question based on the language. Anyone can speak it after all, just like how anyone can buy the insignia of the Russian marines :P

OSCE observers possibly? :)
They don't wear military uniform, from other videos with OSCE in them.

What are English-speaking people in soldier's uniforms doing in Mariupol???

I'm not sure who spoke English in that video. Probably ivze is right on that one.
2 minute 33-36 seconds - you can hear a soldier sayion "out of my face, out of my face please" while shielding his face from the camera with hand.

Now that accent is harder to place. Initially I thought it sounded almost Mancurian (Manchester, UK), but the more I listen, the more it sounds almost a vague  generic American, with a very slight eastern European twang. But, again, why in English?

As pretty much everyone suspects, both sides appear have people in amongst them that are probably not officially there. Its a good old proxy war like in the 80's! Ah, nostalgia!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:47:40 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: January 24, 2015, 02:53:06 pm »

I love how Russia sends soldiers in and the topic is "why are there OSCE observers there" [possibly to go check for those chemical weapons and keep tabs on the terrorists]. If america ever invades and wants to annex a nation, I'll remember the professional doublespeak employed in this invasion.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: January 24, 2015, 02:57:00 pm »

How many roubles is one US dollar?

1$ is around 50-60 roubles, it is fluctuating right now
(From another thread)
Has the rouble exchange rate stabilized? And is Russia/the Russian Central Bank still spending enormous amounts of money on maintaining a non-crazy rate of exchange?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: January 24, 2015, 03:01:11 pm »

Some slightly more objective reporting on events at Mariupol. One rebel commander says "yes, we are responsible for the shelling of a civilian area", one says "no, it was the Ukrainians". Make of it what you will. The rebels seem to be gaining ground, but at great loss of men and materiel. No info offered on Ukrainian losses, though I expect them to be signifigant, considering the nature of the combat.
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: January 24, 2015, 03:05:17 pm »

I love how Russia sends soldiers in and the topic is "why are there OSCE observers there" [possibly to go check for those chemical weapons and keep tabs on the terrorists]. If america ever invades and wants to annex a nation, I'll remember the professional doublespeak employed in this invasion.
OSCE observers wearing military uniform, without any special emblems signalizing that they're from OSCE?

Protip: if you wanted to troll, you should be less obvious.
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: January 24, 2015, 03:07:15 pm »

Wouldn't be the only official people not wearing official insignias, what's the difference?  :)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: January 24, 2015, 03:07:35 pm »

OSCE observers don't wear military uniforms and, especially, unit insignias. By international law.

They are probably battle tourists or mercenaries from whatever "Blackwater" is called nowadays.

How many roubles is one US dollar?

1$ is around 50-60 roubles, it is fluctuating right now
(From another thread)
Has the rouble exchange rate stabilized? And is Russia/the Russian Central Bank still spending enormous amounts of money on maintaining a non-crazy rate of exchange?
It's still fluctuating, but not greatly, in the region of 63-66 roubles per dollar. Central bank is still spending money, which we still have piles of, but less than it used to.

Some slightly more objective reporting on events at Mariupol. One rebel commander says "yes, we are responsible for the shelling of a civilian area", one says "no, it was the Ukrainians". Make of it what you will. The rebels seem to be gaining ground, but at great loss of men and materiel. No info offered on Ukrainian losses, though I expect them to be signifigant, considering the nature of the combat.
Rebel commanders tend to squabble between themselves and play blame games, so I'd not expect their opinions to be the objective truth, either. Ukrainian losses are almost certainly higher than rebel losses, considering that the rebels have so far been winning most battles despite being significantly fewer in number than the AFU.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: January 24, 2015, 03:08:50 pm »

Wouldn't be the only official people not wearing official insignias, what's the difference?  :)

That's how OSCE observers generally look like.

And that's our mysterious foreigner.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:11:41 pm by Guardian G.I. »
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2712 on: January 24, 2015, 03:12:19 pm »

In your previous post, you complained about Russian soldiers being called OSCE observers. Now you defend them being OSCE observers?

Even if it's some kind of technique, I can't see how it improves the discussion.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: January 24, 2015, 03:18:51 pm »

In your previous post, you complained about Russian soldiers being called OSCE observers. Now you defend them being OSCE observers?

Even if it's some kind of technique, I can't see how it improves the discussion.
There's no discussion here, silly, only flamewar.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: January 24, 2015, 03:20:58 pm »

Uh.. no. The conspiracy theory de jure was 'why are there english speakers there' [implying it is EU/American.. mercenaries?] I am saying they are likely OSCE observers if they have armor and aren't actually fighting people. But okay. This is just another convenient example where Russia sends in troops, is currently assaulting a town, and the topic is 'Why are there [implied Americans] there'.

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 220