Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: BM Sprint 3: Thick as Thieves - Game Over - Town Victory  (Read 23987 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM Sprint 3: Thick as Thieves - Game Over - Town Victory
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2015, 01:14:32 am »

Postmortem

Deus Asmoth

Seeing as we've played a couple games together so far, I haven't got a ton to say about your play this game. Your scumhunting was good as usual, and I felt that your cases were sound. I would encourage slightly more aggressive play, regardless of my in-game taunts from the last newbie game. (I was actually not wholly truthful when I was scumhunting you. Your play was not terrible and I've been meaning to mention that you needn't feel bad about it. I used the more aggressive playstyle to make you crack rather than to push you to improve your play, since you seemed more susceptible to that type of pressure than any other. You have my belated apologies for the excess harshness.) The only times I was at all suspicious of your play was when hector13 was interacting with you, and seemed to be scumbuddies with you and trying to distance himself from you.

I would also recommend being a little more active and more forthcoming with your thoughts at the end of the day so that town can read where you stand if you get NKd. Low info NKs are scum-sided. Otherwise, good show!

Dani

Be more active! You're a competent player, as shown in the later game, and having you participate earlier on would have helped you keep track of the game better. We did still win, so I can't rag on you too much, but remember that active towns are towns that win. Even from a personal perspective, participating in events is more useful than just watching them. You retain more information and get a more intimate feel for the interaction. This post saved you from a strong scumread on my end. Specifically, unvoting UXLZ because of L-1 is a townslip. (Of course, it's not something that can be replicated, like more townslips.) Also, admitting that you are wrong without making it look like you are trying to take refuge behind your newbie status is pro-town and can help get you townread, though scum usually pull this off poorly and make themselves obvious. Careful with the "why aren't you suspecting me for this scummy behavior" posts like this one. While it may help you look like town in natural conversation, outright stating it looks like fishing for towncred.

I don't really have any complaints for after we hit LyLo, though. Good play!

UXLZ

Your entry to the game wasn't too bad. Participating in RVS/RQS isn't actually that big of a deal. That being said, it's pro-town to participate, because the more people in RVS, the faster we get out of RVS and start generating game-related content. I started scumreading you immediately for this post due to the way you brought up the IC being likely scum if they stayed alive the next day. (The reason being that a living IC is WIFOM-bait for day 2's lynch, which is scum-sided.) Slightly experienced scum versus newbie town can turn that to their advantage.

This post rightfully got you a lot of flack. While we mostly went at you because of your question to me, the questions were all weighted toward questions that felt slightly off, like someone was asking them to generate suspicion on another player rather than to help reveal that player's alignment. (I realize how difficult it is to see the difference here. As you become more experienced, you'll start seeing what I mean if you don't now.) Asking people how they would act as scum doesn't really help discern their alignments, since the answers these questions generate are WIFOM-y at best. Hence why I started pushing on you, by asking what your motivation was in asking the question. (Asking for other players to explain their motivations can reveal their alignments, as there's a sort of equation I've stolen from another player on a different site. Basically, motivation + personality = post content. That is, the role PM plus the personality of the player motivates their posting, so a large part of scumhunting is reverse-engineering that.)

Be careful with posts like this. As town, you open yourself up for scum buddying you and getting you dragged down with them if they get lynched. As scum, you'll be setting yourself up for other players accusing you of buddying, which can start creating chinks in your armor and get you lynched, especially if the person you're talking about is townread by other players OR is about to be mislynched. Started townreading you here. Very good observations and scumhunting for the rest of the game. Your plan for LyLo basically won us the game, so props for that.

Supercharazad

Our first scummer on the list! Overall, pretty strong scum play here. You managed to avoid my suspicions for most of the game until I started to notice that you were just sort of coasting through. (This was especially apparent once the whole town started being active later on. Remember what I said about active towns, everyone? ;) ) Your past experiences with the game do show through, as you had some good insights in the scum QT, as I said. This post is an example of dangerous fake scumhunting. Overreacting to small things is a good sign of scumminess, since, rather than pursuing a lead, scum often just find the least charismatic or agreeable player, latch on, and ride them into a mislynch. To be honest, though, it was your lack of participation in and scumslips during the massclaim that got you. Once UXLZ townslipped, you were pretty much scum in my eyes, but if you killed me or Dani, you might have had a sight chance. Oh, and claiming doctor was probably a bad choice. While claiming vanilla would have put you at odds with me, the idea that the scumteam fakeclaimed the same thing and got one of them lynched for towncred, especially when the lynch was an experienced player like TDS was not particularly believable. That being said, quite good play, especially for newbie scum.

hector13

And our single mislynch of the game. Sorry you had to get lynched in your first game, but luckily your flip was informative and you got to get the experience of being lynched, which is useful in and of itself. Your first RVS post set off some red flags for me immediately. The "if you were mafia" question is often scum-motivated, because it's easy to push mislynches using it by finding "inconsistencies" in other players' play. You can use it to gauge reactions, especially if the scum you are questioning believes you are cheating somehow and flips out. :P (This also sometimes works in games with potential daytime vigilantes, which are town players that can kill other players by saying something like shoot: Scripten, making the player become more honest as if they were soon to be dead. As with all gambits, be careful with that as they can backfire.) Your early interactions with Deus Asmoth look a little suspicious, as if you are pushing him a little but not enough to get noticed. This can be considered distancing, as it was by me.

This post made me scumread you quite hard. Not voting for a player for any reason other than thinking someone else is scummier is very often a scumtell. If you suspect someone, vote them or have a very good reason why you are not. When I was a newbie, I had a very similar sort of checklist-style playstyle as you did. Remember that a player trying to reveal the alignments of other players is generally town, even if they happen to check a box in the list of general scumtells. not answering questions is sometimes a scumtell, but if the player is responding to a question by probing the player asking the question, take a close look at the interaction and consider the motivations behind each players' actions. Sometimes, missing a question or avoiding a question is not anti-town, but is actually reducing clutter in the game. You do have a good mentality and you show a willingness to improve your game. With some experience, you will definitely shine as a player.

TheDarkStar

Hi TDS. You were scum this game. :P I don't really have much to say, since you've been playing here longer than I have. I do have a few things to note, and I hope I am not being too presumptuous. Firstly, you RVS'd your partner, but you never really pressed him. One of the things I look for when finding associative tells is a distinct lack of any linkage between two players. There was nothing linking you and Supercharazad. As in, the fact that there were little to no interactions between you two was telling, especially when you were lynched and Supercharazad was voting alongside you. (This may actually be more advice for him than you, tbh.) Your early buddying/sheeping of me was not missed, either, and it was a big motivation for me to ask the question I did at the start of D2. That is, to get you to explain everything you'd accomplished all game, which cornered you into admitting that you'd been active lurking. Your reads on D2 also have you way too much leeway and felt like you didn't know who to start fake scumhunting. There was an air of insincerity that really caught my eye. Sadly, I don't know what to really tell you to hide that, save for maybe working to be less consistent as scum and instead pushing townies with more gusto. I also noticed that you had "suspected" me for not voting hector13, when I had posted that it was a mod error the day before. In that case, it showed that your mental inertia wasn't natural and that you were hunting for a mislynch. This post heavily implicated Supercharazad as your scumbuddy. You made it very plain that you were trying to implicate UXLZ and you also scumslipped with the role cop bit. Otherwise, it was a lot of fun playing alongside you. Sometime we'll have to play scum together. That'll be a fun game.

So, any questions, comments, and/or insults anyone wants to send my way?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2015, 01:33:05 am »

I think my initial interactions with players was because I didn't really know what I was doing, specifically in regards to how to scumhunt D1 with no info. That made my initial pressures not seem very... well, pressing.

So a question: what you think would be some reasonable RVS/RQS questions to be asking, if any?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2015, 01:50:13 am »

So a question: what you think would be some reasonable RVS/RQS questions to be asking, if any?

It's hard to say, really. RVS is an annoying part of the game that we tolerate pretty much because we haven't found anything better. Trying to garner reactions works for me, but different people prefer different things. What's important is that, when people start replying, you exit RVS-mode and start examining answers and generating content. You'll notice that I had only one post with random questions and started in on scumhunting immediately after content was generated. This is usually ideal.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2015, 01:50:59 am »

I was hoping that I'd be able to rev up the game with all the activity at the start. I kind of play with a strange... Style.

I'd also like to mention that I was the first to vote for DarkStar, yaaay. Actually, in response to my specific scumreads on him, do you think they were fairly accurate ones, or just false reads and he just happened to also be scum?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2015, 01:54:13 am »

I was hoping that I'd be able to rev up the game with all the activity at the start. I kind of play with a strange... Style.

Your playstyle is fine. Keep in mind that, just because someone starts scumreading you, that doesn't mean that your play was bad, just that you did something that got someone suspicious of you. As long as you are scumhunting as well as defending/supporting your actions, you're solid.

I'd also like to mention that I was the first to vote for DarkStar, yaaay. Actually, in response to my specific scumreads on him, do you think they were fairly accurate ones, or just false reads and he just happened to also be scum?

Nope, your scumhunting was great and inspired me to look at TDS's posting more carefully and ultimately led to my scumread on him come D2. All of our town players this round were very insightful, which is pretty much why we won.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]