Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion - Town Wins!  (Read 53762 times)

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion [9/9] - Day 1
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 12:38:19 am »

Scripten: If you were mafia, how would you approach this game? If you were town?
Persus13: What basic survival tips would you give to a new player like me?
I have no idea.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 12:47:47 am »

Scripten: If you were mafia, how would you approach this game? If you were town?

If I was scum(mafia), I'd ask others how they play and what they look out for. And not do those things. ;)

As town, I read the way people act when questioned. Evasiveness, pedantry, and a number of other basic scumtells are useful early on for pushing reads. (This is neither exhaustive nor 100% accurate.) Later, I analyze where a player sits on various wagons, how they voted, and the way they pushed cases.

Why did you choose to vote me and why do you expect that you have a lower survival chance as a newbie?

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
  • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 01:22:52 am »

Everyone: How much mafia experience do you have?

(Darkstar, can my name get fixed?  :P  I don't wanna be a krudsader.)
People just be cray cray, yo.
I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 01:40:05 am »

Why did you choose to vote me and why do you expect that you have a lower survival chance as a newbie?

I've read a few of the mafia games here and saw your name come up a few times, so I figured you might be as good a place to start as any. As for the survival chance, I'm worried that I'll make some noob mistake in questioning someone and that it'll get misinterpreted as a scum tell, getting me lynched.

Very little to none, maybe a game or two at a party.
I have no idea.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 01:42:49 am »

Well guys, First time IC here, and lets get this game underway!!

Scint: What thought process would you have if you were the JKer?
masked: How do you think you should play this game?

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 01:54:51 am »

If there was a person who implied that they were a town cop, then I would protect them, as they would the most likely target for a night kill. Otherwise, I'd probably pick a random person that I suspect town so that scum have a chance of trying and failing to NK a protected person. However, if I made a slip up and implied I was JKer, thus painting a big target on myself, I'd pick myself to protect (assuming that I didn't also block myself, making a paradox :P).
I have no idea.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 07:10:59 am »

Never played before myself, so we'll see how it goes.

Scintillant, you seem very concerned about being seen as scum very early on in the game. That's probably not suspicious by itself I guess, but it's the only thing worthy of note so far from my point of view.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 10:19:26 am »

A good few games now, both here and off-site. This will probably be my last newbie game before I start ICing.

I've read a few of the mafia games here and saw your name come up a few times, so I figured you might be as good a place to start as any. As for the survival chance, I'm worried that I'll make some noob mistake in questioning someone and that it'll get misinterpreted as a scum tell, getting me lynched.

Good answer. Word to the wise. Don't worry so much about keeping yourself alive. Getting mislynched -is- anti-town, if you are a townie. That said, if you're hunting scum and progressing the game state, you are not likely to get mislynched, even if you do make a mistake or two. Don't let fear of messing up interfere with your play and you'll likely avoid being mislynched.

As far as dying at night, consider it a compliment from the scum team; saying that you're dangerous enough for them to need you eliminated.

Hm.

Unvote Execute/Dumbo.exe
Vote Superblackcat

What sort of alignment-indicative information were you hoping to glean from an answer to that question?

Never played before myself, so we'll see how it goes.

Scintillant, you seem very concerned about being seen as scum very early on in the game. That's probably not suspicious by itself I guess, but it's the only thing worthy of note so far from my point of view.

The best way to get the game moving is to ask questions and try to get reactions out of other players. Stating observations is good, as it shows you are paying attention to other players, but getting out and hunting for scum is the most important task a townie can do. Don't be afraid to confront other players directly. Make your scumhunting direct and solid, so scum can't weasel out of your questions with non-answers.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 10:42:57 am »

RangerCado: What do you feel will be the biggest obstacle to the town in this game?
I have no idea.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 10:46:33 am »

(I will have a post by the end of the day)
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 12:17:20 pm »

masked_krusader:
My experience of mafia is limited. I played scum in beginner's mafia 49 with my partner worldmaster. I had to pull out after D1 due to a busted laptop and was replaced by McDonald. I have also played town of salem a little excessively but that game is markedly different to this as every player has a power role. The time for debating is very short (something like 75 seconds before the day ends).

This is quite a brief post. It composes of a question and you asked the mod to fix your name. Why do you not have a more pointed question?

Scripten:
As far as dying at night, consider it a compliment from the scum team; saying that you're dangerous enough for them to need you eliminated.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall a game involving you (I don't think you were scum in it) in which the scum picked their targets on whether or not their deaths would provide much to speculate on. They picked on the quiet and those without many suspicions.

RangerCado:
Which would you prefer to be. A townie or mafia? Why?

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 12:19:06 pm »

masked: How do you think you should play this game?

Aggressively and actively scumhunting.

Scripten
How do you see this game going?  Besides almost inevitable scum-win because BM, anyway.

Deus Asmoth
If you were mafia, who would you target?
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 12:21:15 pm »

EBWOP

masked_krusader:
My experience of mafia is limited. I played scum in beginner's mafia 49 with my partner worldmaster. I had to pull out after D1 due to a busted laptop and was replaced by McDonald. I have also played town of salem a little excessively but that game is markedly different to this as every player has a power role. The time for debating is very short (something like 75 seconds before the day ends).

This is quite a brief post. It composes of a question and you asked the mod to fix your name. Why do you not have a more pointed question?

I had to sleep, but I thought I should put at least one question out there.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 12:31:04 pm »

masked_krusader
Deus Asmoth
Why are you asking that question? It seems like a way to set up a fall guy if scum decide to kill that person. Which could result in the basics of he suggested he might have been an inexperienced enough scum to post it and go through with it, which leads to his lynching but he could really be town.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 12:51:34 pm »

Unvote. Vote masked_krusader.
Your question here

Deus Asmoth
seems scummy. It feels like a very good escape method if you were mafia. This way, you can safely NK whoever he says and then pin it on him. What was your reasoning behind this question?
I have no idea.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30