Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion - Town Wins!  (Read 53801 times)

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion [9/9] - Day 1
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 01:45:23 pm »

Scintillant:
While you're here, why do you seem to be basically parroting what I said? While you have thrown the first vote, your accusation is the basically same as mine. Yours is shorter and packs more of a punch, while it is more effective it left me wondering. Did you find this suspicious or are you just following on from what I said?

masked_crusader:
Don't think because I've moved on to questioning Scintillant, you get to wriggle out of answering.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 02:34:19 pm »

Scripten:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall a game involving you (I don't think you were scum in it) in which the scum picked their targets on whether or not their deaths would provide much to speculate on. They picked on the quiet and those without many suspicions.

That's usually the case when we have quiet town who aren't being scumread. This is why an active town is very important. It makes every death informative and gives the mafia less room to hide.

Scripten
How do you see this game going?  Besides almost inevitable scum-win because BM, anyway.

Town are probably going to get burnt out, leaving us with very little to go on, and then the mafia are probably going to hide in the lurkers like usual. Though, we do seem to have players who are relatively unafraid to actually participate this time.

Persus13: Heyo, any thoughts so far?

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 03:18:53 pm »

Scintillant:
While you're here, why do you seem to be basically parroting what I said? While you have thrown the first vote, your accusation is the basically same as mine. Yours is shorter and packs more of a punch, while it is more effective it left me wondering. Did you find this suspicious or are you just following on from what I said?
I did independently arrive at this conclusion, I just had the misfortune of posting it after you. Great minds think alike, I guess :P

the mafia are probably going to hide in the lurkers like usual.
Couldn't we just start lynching lurkers, though to counter this?
I have no idea.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 03:22:55 pm »

the mafia are probably going to hide in the lurkers like usual.
Couldn't we just start lynching lurkers, though to counter this?

This works great when town doesn't lurk and scum does. Usually not the case, though.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 03:54:03 pm »

Scintillant
Scintillant:
I did independently arrive at this conclusion, I just had the misfortune of posting it after you. Great minds think alike, I guess :P
Alright amigo.  ;D

How would you approach this game as a scummer? Would you prefer a particular method? Active lurking? Lurk like a madman? Play the village idiot? Or perhaps another insidious method?

Scripten:
You seem to be trying to ingratiate yourself with other players. Directly with Scintillant and indirectly with others. While it could just be good gamesmanship, I'm wondering whether it has an ulterior motive.

Is it regular for you to start asking questions about people's opinion so early? You have yet to really voice an opinion but already want another player to give you their thoughts.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2014, 04:08:21 pm »

How would you approach this game as a scummer? Would you prefer a particular method? Active lurking? Lurk like a madman? Play the village idiot? Or perhaps another insidious method?
If I was scum, I would probably do active lurking, posting just enough to appear active, but not enough to let anyone significantly see my alignment. Based on reading other games here, it seems like full-on lurking or village idiot don't seem to work to well, as those scum seem to always get caught out. In terms of overall strategy, I'd figure out which town person is the most likely to find me out (this would probably the most experienced person), and pull suspicion onto them to try and get them lynched. If that doesn't work, and assuming I don't get lynched myself, I'd NK that person.
I have no idea.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2014, 04:16:15 pm »

If I was scum, I would probably do active lurking, posting just enough to appear active, but not enough to let anyone significantly see my alignment.
So basically what you're doing now?   ;D Nah just kidding.
But I do advise you start asking more questions. You seem to have a short supply of questions. But then again everyone here does. I am also asking you to ask questions so I'm not the first to perish due to my proactivety.  :D

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2014, 04:24:47 pm »

Scripten:
You seem to be trying to ingratiate yourself with other players. Directly with Scintillant and indirectly with others. While it could just be good gamesmanship, I'm wondering whether it has an ulterior motive.

I'll get to confronting people when it's necessary. Being polite and being compliant are different entirely.

Is it regular for you to start asking questions about people's opinion so early? You have yet to really voice an opinion but already want another player to give you their thoughts.

Persus13 hasn't shown up in the thread since the day's started. Want him to participate if I can get him to.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2014, 04:25:12 pm »

Execute/Dumbo.exe:
Execute/Dumbo.exe: How do you feel your play will differ this game from when you have a town role?
Quite a lot, I would suspect, for one thing, I won't have to plan out my posts quite so much.
Could you explain exactly what you mean by this? Why would posts require less planning as scum vs. town?
I have no idea.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2014, 04:30:34 pm »

Scripten:
I'll get to confronting people when it's necessary.
What are your criteria for judging when confrontation is "necessary"? Also, this explanation seems a tad evasive.
I have no idea.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2014, 04:34:46 pm »

Deus:
I see you hanging about the forum. Get in here and help us find scum. I'll help here's question to get the ball rolling. Which would be preferable to you, vanilla, power role or scum? Why?

Scripten:
If you won't confront, are you at least going to ask questions?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2014, 04:37:12 pm »

Scripten:
If you won't confront, are you at least going to ask questions?

This is a leading question and I don't like that. What do you think, considering my play so far?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2014, 04:41:17 pm »

Scripten:
I'll get to confronting people when it's necessary.
What are your criteria for judging when confrontation is "necessary"? Also, this explanation seems a tad evasive.

When I feel like the situation warrants it. For example, when players begin an echo chamber. ;)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2014, 04:45:25 pm »

Deus Asmoth
If you were mafia, who would you target?
Not a big fan of this question, but the straight answer is that I don't know. My initial plan for if I got picked for the forces of evil was to campaign against another scum player so that if either of us were voted off the other would look more likely to be town. Since I don't know who's scum now, I guess I'd say Comrade Shamrock, because it's traditional for Irish people to fight each other.

Shamrock My internet's a bit slow at the moment and I seem to be taking too long posting. In any case, I would think being scum would be most fun for me. Encouraging people to fight among themselves seems to be my playstyle in a lot of games.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
  • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »

masked_krusader
Deus Asmoth
Why are you asking that question? It seems like a way to set up a fall guy if scum decide to kill that person. Which could result in the basics of he suggested he might have been an inexperienced enough scum to post it and go through with it, which leads to his lynching but he could really be town.
Unvote. Vote masked_krusader.
Your question here

Deus Asmoth
seems scummy. It feels like a very good escape method if you were mafia. This way, you can safely NK whoever he says and then pin it on him. What was your reasoning behind this question?

I didn't even think of that scenario because it seems incredibly transparent.  It also smells of WIFOM, but mostly it just seems like a way-too-prone-to-fail scum plan.
My reasoning behind asking it was that I thought it was a harmless RVS question.
People just be cray cray, yo.
I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30