Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion - Town Wins!  (Read 53128 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion - Town Wins!
« on: November 05, 2014, 10:41:40 pm »

Beginner's Mafia 51

The setting is Nevada, 1947. You and eight other people are workers at a certain government research site. Unknown to the public, this area is devoted to the study of extraterrestrials. Over the last two decades this site has helped drive some of the most important technological advances through the study of alien artifacts, including the Manhattan project. A few days ago, an alien spacecraft was shot down in the Arizona desert and you and the other eight workers collected and transported the debris to the government base. The alien's bodies were never found. Then two unrecognizable bodies were found in one of the transport trucks.

You and the other eight people are now under suspicion. Two of you are aliens and seven of you are normal people. Two of you are senior officials with experience with this, but there is a chance that one of them was replaced. A few of you are members of security and can use your privileges to better find the aliens. And while you attempt to discover the imposters, a third alien directs his minions from orbit.

Player List [7/7]:
    • Scripten Town Cop!
    • Deus Asmoth
    • Execute/Dumbo.exe Dorsidwarf
    • masked_krusader 4maskwolf Mk. II
    • Comrade Shamrock Town Jailkeeper
    • RangerCado NotQuiteThere Mafia Goon
    • Scintillant[/s] Vanilla Townsperson

ICs [2/2]:
    • Superblackcat 4maskwolf Vanilla Townsperson
    • Persus13 Cheeetar Vanilla Townsperson!

Scum IC [1/1]:
    • Silthuri

Replacements [0/∞]:
    • This could be you!

• Introduction

Welcome to Beginner's Mafia 51. As the title suggests, this game is for beginners. If you have no idea how to play or you have some experience but you're still not quite sure what to do, then this is the right place for you. If you sign up, you have one goal: Learn how to play the game of mafia. Since this is not an easy thing to do on your own and we wouldn't dream of forcing you to do it, you will be assisted by two 'inexperience challenged' players, or ICs. The ICs are experienced players on the board who have signed up to help you learn. You can always trust that the advice they give is genuine, however, you cannot always trust the IC, as they are players in the game and have the same likelihood of being scum as every other single player.

If this is your first time playing, keep in mind that games of forum mafia take several weeks, and can sometimes run longer than a month, and that you are expected to be able to play continuously through that time. If you can't anticipate being able to play for that long for whatever reason, then maybe the game of mafia isn't for you. But if it is, then welcome to the mafia subforum, and I hope you have a great time playing.

Gameplay and Concept

The game of mafia has a simple concept. A large group of players known as the town plays against a smaller group of players known as the mafia. In this setup, there are nine players, with seven town and two mafia.

Before the game begins, each players is given a role and an alignment by the moderator. There are two alignments in this setup: Town and Mafia. The town outnumber the mafia, but each individual member of the town does not know the alignment of any of the other members. The mafia know the alignment of everyone on their team and they can discuss the game privately in a special mafia chat. The mafia has access to a nightkill that they may use in the Night phase, while the town occasionally has roles with abilities that are used during the night.

Once everyone has a role, the game begins in the Day phase. During the Day phase, players may discuss the game and each player has a vote that they cast publicly to lynch a player. At the end of the day after some predetermined amount of time, the player with the most votes is lynched. Lynching does two things: it reveals a player's role and alignment, and it removes a player from the game. Once lynched, a player is no longer allowed to post in the thread.

Once the day ends, the game proceeds to Night. During the Night, discussion is prohibited. The mafia team picks a target to nightkill. If available, any town power roles use their actions as well. At the end of the night, the target the mafia chose to nightkill has their role and alignment revealed, and that player is removed from the game in a similar way to being lynched. Once the night ends, the game proceeds to another Day.

Both teams win by eliminating the other. However, due to the nature of the teams, they win very differently. The town win by finding and lynching the mafia, while the mafia win by avoiding being lynched and nightkilling.

Potential Roles

Vanilla Townie - A member of the town with no special abilities.
      Vanilla Mafioso - A member of the mafia with no special abilities.
      Cop (Town) - A cop may choose to inspect a single player during the night and learn that player's alignment.
      Jailkeeper (Town) - A combination of a Roleblocker and a Doctor, a Jailkeeper both protects and blocks the target from acting during the night.
      Role Cop (Mafia) - Much like the Town Cop counterpart, the Role Cop investigates a single other during the night to learn their role, instead of their alignment.

This is still an experimental setup

The only role that receives the success of their results in this setup is the Cop and Rolecop. All other roles are not informed if they were successful or not.

One of the following setups is used:
      1. 1 Mafioso, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Sane Cop, Jailkeeper.
      2. 1 Mafioso, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Sane Cop.
      3. 1 Mafioso, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Jailkeeper.

Spoiler: Possible Role PMs (click to show/hide)

Notes about the ICs

The ICs are here solely to teach new players how to play, but remember, they are also players in the game. This means they have the same chance to be scum as any other player and it is entirely possible for one IC or even both ICs to be scum. Regardless of their alignment, they are obligated to provide you with genuine advice, so that even if you don't trust the IC, you can trust the advice they give. Some ICs will use a special 'IC voice' to alert players that they are delivering honest, unfiltered advice, while some don't.

The ICs have the special privilege of being able to talk while dead. This is so that they can continue to give advice even if they are killed during the course of the game.

Rules
      • Voting - Votes are cast in red and should include the name of the targeted player. Other colors may be ignored. Urist Imiknorris, Urist, UI, and UI you scummy scum!, are all acceptable ways to cast a vote if the target is clear enough.
        • If you want to remove your vote, you may put unvote in red text. You must explicitly state this to remove your vote. You may put the name of the player you are unvoting in red after the unvote, e.g., unvote UI, but it is not required.
        • If the day ends with two or more people having the same number of votes, the day will end with no player being lynched.
        • It is also possible to vote for a no lynch to explicitly end the day without a lynch.
      • Death - When you are dead, you are prohibited from posting in the thread. You may make a single 'bah' post after you die, however, it must not contain any game-related information.
      • PMs - PMs between players are prohibited. You may freely PM the moderator to ask game-related questions, however, what the moderator may reveal is limited.
        • Do not quote any direct correspondence with the moderator, including role PMs and rule-related queries.
      • Edits - Editing posts is prohibited. Do not edit your post for any reason, even if your post comes out as a train-wreck of formatting, spelling, punctuation, and/or grammar. The preview button exists; use it.
      • Replacements/Activity - If you find yourself unable to play, you may, and should, request a replacement. We may try to talk you out of it if it's for any other reason besides you not having enough time to play.
        • Prods may be requested for a player. If they have not posted in the thread within 24 hours, excluding weekends, they will be prodded.
        • If you stop playing altogether without notifying me, you will receive a warning after 48 hours, and a forced replace after 72 hours.
        • Please be active. The greatest killer of beginner games is poor activity.
      • Day/Night Length - Days will last 72 hours. Nights will last 24 hours, or until all night actions are received. Weekends are not counted in terms of day or night length. E.G., if a night starts at 12:00 PM Friday, it will end at 12:00 PM Monday.
        • If the game is in a LYLO or MYLO situation, there will be no formal deadline. >50% Players must vote to end the day, or votes must not change for 24-hours.
      • Extensions/Shortens - A player may vote for an extension to increase the length of the day. It requires >33% of the current number of players to request an extension for an extension to be granted. A player may also vote for a shorten. It requires >50% of the current number of players for a shorten to be granted. Extensions increase day length by 48 hours, while shortens will immediately end the day as soon as possible. There are only two extensions per day, with other extensions being granted at the moderator's discretion for special reasons.
        • Votes for extension/shorten are done in boldface. Extend, Extension, Extend it up yo, Shorten it out y'all are acceptable ways to vote for an extension or shorten
        • Extensions or shortens can be opposed. Opposition to extensions or shortens are done in boldface. Oppose Extend, Opposition to the Extension, Oppose Shorten, are acceptable ways to oppose an extension or shorten. Oppositions count against the total number of votes for an extension or shorten.
        • Extensions count as opposition to shortens. Similarly, shortens count as opposition to extensions.
        • Extensions, Shortens, and Oppositions will be counted and processed by the moderator in the order that they are cast.
      • External Participation - While the game is ongoing, if you are not a player, an IC, or a mod, refrain from posting in the thread.
        • Play to win! There is no hopeless situation, so don't ever give up. And remember, be bold! You learn nothing and you gain nothing by holding back.
      • Miscellaneous - Use of cryptographic hashing is not permitted.  If you want to have hidden/obfuscated messages in your posts for later use, come up with them using your own wetware.

Resources and Guides

Our own Bay12 Mafia tutorial
      The Mafiascum wiki. Lots of theory, terminology, and game analysis.
      An Interactive Flash tutorial by one of the Mafiascum.net people. Helpful visualization!
      The Notable Games archive. Read a famous game from start to finish! Learn some Mafia history.

Spoiler: On D1 No-lynches (click to show/hide)

Frequently Asked Questions

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:44:06 pm by TheDarkStar »
    Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
    • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
      • View Profile
    Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion
    « Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 06:31:22 am »

Scum IC in.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
    • Spaceghost Perpetrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 06:47:23 am »

In as replacement.
    I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 11:02:35 am »

Considering circumstances, I'll happy to be back in action.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • Bland, but sensible.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 11:47:51 am »

In (be gentle, it's my first time).
    Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:24:41 pm »

In (be gentle, it's my first time).
    ASMOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • Bland, but sensible.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 03:07:57 pm »

Mask! That wasn't gentle!
    Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 07:42:18 pm »

Hmmm.
    Well, why not, there isn't anything on my nonexistent schedule for a while and it's always nice to try new things right?
    In!
    He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
    Alan help.
    IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
    15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
    • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 01:32:48 pm »

Hmm.  I guess I'll try this.  In.
    People just be cray cray, yo.
    I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
    I’m not Shakerag!
    Sigtext.

Spacefaye

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 07:11:36 am »

In.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 11:57:15 pm »

In

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • [INTERSTELLAR]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 12:58:12 pm »

Can I offer myself up as a replacement? I'm not too free yet, but I may be in a while, and from what I've seen, BM games always seem to need them.
    Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
    Everything is going to be alright

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »

Can I offer myself up as a replacement? I'm not too free yet, but I may be in a while, and from what I've seen, BM games always seem to need them.

Ok, that's fine.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 11:18:49 pm »

We need some ICs in this.
    « Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:21:02 pm by TheDarkStar »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
    • 6th King of the Mafia
      • View Profile
    Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion [5/7] [0/2 ICs]
    « Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 08:12:31 pm »

Replacement, should there be no ICs before NSBM ends, I'll go ahead and be one.
    Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
    Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
    Sigtext
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30