Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dampe's Modern Weapons Mod (Third Time's The Charm)  (Read 10112 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Re: Dampe's Modern Weapons Mod (Coming Very Soon!)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »

The M1887 in Judgment Day was a sawed-off variation with a shortened barrel and an enlarged lever loop for one-handed spin-cocking. I'm not sure how a shortened barrel would affect it, aside from reduced muzzle velocity.
Okay, thanks. The shortened barrel affects it in the raws because of the system I use to organize and balance the firearms. Let me see if I can find the exact barrel length for Arnie's M1887.
[EDIT: I managed to find a barrel length on the Terminator wiki, but the wiki didn't specify whether it was Schwarzenegger's version listed.]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:32:29 pm by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 09:09:05 pm »

I managed to find a barrel length on the Terminator wiki, but the wiki didn't specify whether it was Schwarzenegger's version listed.
Wikipedia states that one of the factory-standard barrel lengths was 20 inches; the image I posted was of the 1887 that was used on-screen, which looks to be about an 18-inch barrel. I don't know how your system works it out, but I would probably use the 18- to 20-inch measurement as a safe standing point.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 09:27:26 pm »

I managed to find a barrel length on the Terminator wiki, but the wiki didn't specify whether it was Schwarzenegger's version listed.
Wikipedia states that one of the factory-standard barrel lengths was 20 inches; the image I posted was of the 1887 that was used on-screen, which looks to be about an 18-inch barrel. I don't know how your system works it out, but I would probably use the 18- to 20-inch measurement as a safe standing point.
Alright. Once I get around to it, it'll go in the special category with the M41A Pulse Rifle. Was the one Schwarzenegger used a 10- or a 12-gauge?
[EDIT: Calling it a night. Weapons count up to 196. Will finish pistols tomorrow for sure.]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:23:08 pm by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 11:11:57 pm »

Will finish pistols tomorrow for sure.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Pistol count is at 230 at the moment. I just finished the Italian handguns.
Of the nations with a significant number of firearms left to do, there's Austria (Glock), Canada (Para-Ordnance), Russia (Tokarev, Makarov, etc.), China (Norinco), and the Czech Republic (Ceská Zbrojovka). Those aren't the only other nations I'll be adding in, but those are the major ones. To sum it up, this mod has a long way to go. However, progress is being made.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:59:09 pm by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 08:53:55 pm »

To sum it up, this mod has a long way to go. However, progress is being made.
I might be able to help you get started on different classes of firearms (e.g. SMG, assault rifle, etc.). I'd need to figure out how your balancing system works, but dividing the work between other people would save you a massive headache from coding everything yourself.

Also, have you uploaded any files to DFFD for this mod? I'm interested to see how it looks so far.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 07:14:22 pm »

I might be able to help you get started on different classes of firearms (e.g. SMG, assault rifle, etc.). I'd need to figure out how your balancing system works, but dividing the work between other people would save you a massive headache from coding everything yourself.

Also, have you uploaded any files to DFFD for this mod? I'm interested to see how it looks so far.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I've got the firearms handled. After all, it is Dampe's Modern Weapons Mod.
However, I could use some advice on modding creatures, however, since I'm rather new to that part of modding. I'm good at clothing and weapons and stuff like that, but I've never tried making my own creatures.

I haven't uploaded anything to DFFD yet, since I haven't quite gotten it to a point where that'd be feasible. However, I may need testers in the near future, as I don't have a computer that can run Dwarf Fortress at hand currently. More on that if/when the time comes.

I'm back to school, and I'm using my lunch periods to work on this mod, so progress is being made.
The one thing I'm reluctant to do is bring my reference book to the library, since a quiet high-school male reading a book about guns in the school library may attract some unwanted attention from teachers. In the meantime, I've been focusing on other aspects of the mod that need work.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:50:43 pm by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 05:22:04 am »

Thanks for the offer, but I think I've got the firearms handled. After all, it is Dampe's Modern Weapons Mod.
However, I could use some advice on modding creatures, however, since I'm rather new to that part of modding. I'm good at clothing and weapons and stuff like that, but I've never tried making my own creatures.

I haven't uploaded anything to DFFD yet, since I haven't quite gotten it to a point where that'd be feasible. However, I may need testers in the near future, as I don't have a computer that can run Dwarf Fortress at hand currently. More on that if/when the time comes.

I'm back to school, and I'm using my lunch periods to work on this mod, so progress is being made.
The one thing I'm reluctant to do is bring my reference book to the library, since a quiet high-school male reading a book about guns in the school library may attract some unwanted attention from teachers. In the meantime, I've been focusing on other aspects of the mod that need work.

You made hundreds of weapons without testing any? That is honestly asking for disaster, in my opinion. Assuming your librarian is OK with you playing DF on the school computers (unless you are using a laptop), you can move/copy your DF folder to a flash drive and play it anywhere. Most librarians can see what you are doing on their computers and are capable of locking them, but seeing as you are already apparently coding....

Also, how exactly are you representing all these differences in the guns? There isn't any stat for things like barrel length, though you seem to be representing them.

While I am giving (probably unwanted) advice, you should probably remember to at least test some of the guns against clothed opponents. In my experience, a gun can work wonderfully against opponents in testing but simply bounce of cloths in a real game.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 05:36:25 am by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 09:33:05 pm »

You made hundreds of weapons without testing any? That is honestly asking for disaster, in my opinion. Assuming your librarian is OK with you playing DF on the school computers (unless you are using a laptop), you can move/copy your DF folder to a flash drive and play it anywhere. Most librarians can see what you are doing on their computers and are capable of locking them, but seeing as you are already apparently coding....

Also, how exactly are you representing all these differences in the guns? There isn't any stat for things like barrel length, though you seem to be representing them.

While I am giving (probably unwanted) advice, you should probably remember to at least test some of the guns against clothed opponents. In my experience, a gun can work wonderfully against opponents in testing but simply bounce of cloths in a real game.

I've got a laptop.

While this is the first time I've ever made a mod with the intention of posting it, this ain't my first prison rodeo when it comes to modding guns. I've got a good enough idea of what I'm doing to be confident that it won't be a complete disaster.

As for the system, I'll go into detail about it in another post.

And I always test against clothed opponents.
While your advice is unsolicited, it isn't unwanted.
Regards,
Dampe

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 06:24:06 am »

I've got a laptop.

While this is the first time I've ever made a mod with the intention of posting it, this ain't my first prison rodeo when it comes to modding guns. I've got a good enough idea of what I'm doing to be confident that it won't be a complete disaster.

As for the system, I'll go into detail about it in another post.

And I always test against clothed opponents.
While your advice is unsolicited, it isn't unwanted.

In the transition from V34 to V40, ranged weapons where significantly nerfed. Guns that worked before won't necessarily work now. Besides, I would have no clue if I tried personally -__-. I look forward to looking at it, if it ever gets finished. If you ever need any help from someone who has no clue what he is doing, you know who to call.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 07:01:18 pm »

In the transition from V34 to V40, ranged weapons where significantly nerfed. Guns that worked before won't necessarily work now. Besides, I would have no clue if I tried personally -__-. I look forward to looking at it, if it ever gets finished. If you ever need any help from someone who has no clue what he is doing, you know who to call.

The firearms are powerful enough to make the vanilla crossbow look like a Red Ryder BB gun, so I'm not too concerned about that.

I have a question I've been wondering about in terms of creature raws. How do I make it so my creatures can't be fat? (Most soldiers aren't usually overweight) I know there's the broadness modifiers, but I don't know what values I should put there.

Also, in terms of when the mod will have progressed more, I've been working on non-firearms aspects of the mod daily, but I've got a large chunk of free time on the weekend of the 24th that I plan to use to plug n' chug and get some more guns cranked out. I've nearly completed the pistols, which only leaves machine pistols (automatics too small to be categorized as SMGs), submachine guns, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, and special weapons (grenade launchers and what have you).
Then come the uniforms and military gear, and after that, all that's left is the finishing touches.
Also, it is my birthday tomorrow, and with the funds I (hopefully) receive, I should be able to purchase a new computer, which will allow me to actually start testing the mod.
Regards,
Dampe

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 09:24:39 pm »

Code: [Select]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
This is what the dwarfs currently have. The numbers are a percent, so dwarves can be anywhere between 75% as "Broad" as the standard to 125% as "Broad" as the standard. By changing these to be closer to the standard, it will make them less "fat", probably. I am not really concerned with things like descriptions in my mod, so it is possible that even if you turned the 125 to 102 or even 100 it would still describe them as fat. Deleting this entirely would remove the description, at least.

It is important to remember, however, that the larger "fat" categories actually increase their size, making them generally more powerful in melee, despite the description. For example, the "Obese" dwarf would multiply standard body size by 125%, actually making him stronger. Real life militaries typically have all sorts of body types anyways, while they aren't out of shape or obese, it might be best to think of broadness as broadness.

If you want the Broadness tag to still exist and just not show up, changing its

APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE
which (I think) is currently 500 to a low number may keep it from showing up on character pages, while still effecting the game.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 05:18:33 pm »

This is what the dwarfs currently have. The numbers are a percent, so dwarves can be anywhere between 75% as "Broad" as the standard to 125% as "Broad" as the standard. By changing these to be closer to the standard, it will make them less "fat", probably. I am not really concerned with things like descriptions in my mod, so it is possible that even if you turned the 125 to 102 or even 100 it would still describe them as fat. Deleting this entirely would remove the description, at least.

It is important to remember, however, that the larger "fat" categories actually increase their size, making them generally more powerful in melee, despite the description. For example, the "Obese" dwarf would multiply standard body size by 125%, actually making him stronger. Real life militaries typically have all sorts of body types anyways, while they aren't out of shape or obese, it might be best to think of broadness as broadness.

APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE
which (I think) is currently 500 to a low number may keep it from showing up on character pages, while still effecting the game.

Thanks. I've never been that good at creature raws, most of my previous forays into the areas ended up being complete abominations.
Regards,
Dampe

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 04:50:33 am »

APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE

Obesity and fatness are completely unrelated to broadness. They are literally how much fat tissue a creature has. Broadness is literally described using the term "broad", AFAIK.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 02:05:38 pm »

APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE

Obesity and fatness are completely unrelated to broadness. They are literally how much fat tissue a creature has. Broadness is literally described using the term "broad", AFAIK.

Are you sure? I just tested it and I seem to be right here. Putnam knows about 10000% more about modding then I do, normally it is best to listen to him over me.

I just made two test forts. Fort one, I looked into the descriptions and saw things like "He is scrawny", "She is fat" (Which I believe he is referring to here) as the first describing item. I did a find and replace for BROADNESS to a blank, then made a new fort. Nobody had any "Broadness" descriptions.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 05:33:11 pm »

Though I'm not qualified to say, I'm pretty sure broadness and "fatness" were one and the same.
I think broadness is how wide a creature is, or in layman's terms, how "fat" they are.
Regards,
Dampe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4