Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dampe's Modern Weapons Mod (Third Time's The Charm)  (Read 10127 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Re: Dampe's Modern Weapons Mod (Third Time's The Charm)
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2015, 07:02:27 pm »

Well, here's the problem, everyone.
In Dwarf Fortress' current state, I cannot implement firearms as well or as completely as I would like to. The tests I did using what I had so far were a complete mess. They're completely useless in combat against more than one enemy, and even then, only useful at medium to long range. I CAN theoretically use DFhack to mod fire rate (or so someone told me) but I'd like to do it without the use of DFhack to make it easier to install and more compatible with other mods. Also, I don't know the first thing about DFhack scripting. In short, I'd like to postpone this with the promise that if (hopefully, when) Toady implements either the ability to change the fire rate of bows and/or the ability to aim them, I promise I will return to this mod. Until then, I'm afraid there isn't much to do but wait.
Regards,
Dampe

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2015, 12:09:56 pm »

Could you show us what you were able to do with the current system at least?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 05:32:47 pm »

Uhh, yeah, I can whip something up in a couple days.
(File is somewhere on my old computer, so it'll take a bit of searching to find it.)
Regards,
Dampe

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2015, 04:25:03 pm »

Um.

I may have made a little oopsie.
Regards,
Dampe

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2015, 04:14:36 pm »

Could you show us what you were able to do with the current system at least?

I found out the file is actually not on my old computer.
I accidentally deleted it without realizing.
*Facepalm*
Regards,
Dampe

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2015, 05:02:30 pm »

There's disk-recovery apps that could help you with that.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 05:57:30 pm »

If you are using Windows, could it be in the recycle bin?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2015, 10:33:12 am »

I was using a Mac, and sadly, no.
As somebody who mods Dwarf Fortress often, I usually keep .zip files of the game on hand at all times in case I mess up and need a fresh start.
Usually, I'll have two or three (or more) copies of Dwarf Fortress on my desktop, so keeping track of them all can be tricky. As it turns out, I put the raws from the Modern Weapons Mod into one of these to test them out, and then forgot to rename the folder so I would know they were in there. I later deleted this folder, not realizing what was inside.

However, I can say from the testing I did that the guns would have needed a lot of work anyways. In one-on-one combat against an enemy wielding a melee weapon, the gun would usually win if the enemy was at least six or so tiles away, but if there was more than one enemy, or they got in close, the shooter was usually screwed. The two things I need to be able to control to be able to fully implement guns are fire rate and the ability to aim ranged weapons. I'm fairly sure these aren't on the top of Toady's list to be implemented, but if (but more hopefully, when) they get added in, I will come back to this mod and finish it.
Regards,
Dampe
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]