Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 181503 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 07:31:39 pm »

I've heard of that game! I hear it's really fun (Similar to Mafia) but there's a few errors. Like an upstairs tile being marked as only deployable downstairs.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 07:39:21 pm »

The original version had a loophole in the rules that would let you go back and forth between all the stat boosting rooms and get infinitely pumped up. Subsequent publishings fixed it by saying specifically that each room could only be used once per game.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 07:50:15 pm »

Let's share our creepiest, most horribly inappropriate rpg stories! :D
I'd rather not. Let's just say that the (in-game) place got sticky afterwards.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 08:00:22 pm »

I got a new tabletop game recently: Evolution. I backed it on Kickstarter and it turned out to be a really good decision.

It's a card game where each player controls a number of species of animal and compete against the other players to eat more food. The beauty of the game is in the interactions between different cards and different players - it definitely feels like an evolutionary arms race. Each player gets multiple species so you can either diversify your strategy or get your species to work together efficiently.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 10:10:21 pm »

Can anybody confirm whether the information presented here is feat-specific or comes from the subtype?

EDIT2: If it doesn't, can somebody clarify precisely what the subtype does?
The dragon-blood subtype on its own doesn't change anything about your character. (Unlike the 'undead' subtype, which removes your constitution modifier amongst other things.)

There are, however, other feats to take that require the subtype, and that's a good way to gain the type.

Selecting draconic feats as if you were a sorcerer of your character level is something that only the Dragontouched feat lets you do; simply being dragonblooded won't let you do that. If your character is just a dragonblood kobold who doesn't have that feat, and he's a bard, you can't select draconic feats as if you were a sorcerer. (You'd select them like a bard; not at all.)

For example: A dragonblood kobold ranger without Dragontouched couldn't take Draconic Heritage, but a sorcerer could. If that ranger took Dragontouched, he'd also be able to take that feat. Even a normal kobold ranger could take it, the dragonblood subtype notwithstanding.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 10:14:53 pm »

Can anybody confirm whether the information presented here is feat-specific or comes from the subtype?

EDIT2: If it doesn't, can somebody clarify precisely what the subtype does?
The dragon-blood subtype on its own doesn't change anything about your character. (Unlike the 'undead' subtype, which removes your constitution modifier amongst other things.)

There are, however, other feats to take that require the subtype, and that's a good way to gain the type.

Selecting draconic feats as if you were a sorcerer of your character level is something that only the Dragontouched feat lets you do; simply being dragonblooded won't let you do that. If your character is just a dragonblood kobold who doesn't have that feat, and he's a bard, you can't select draconic feats as if you were a sorcerer. (You'd select them like a bard; not at all.)

For example: A dragonblood kobold ranger without Dragontouched couldn't take Draconic Heritage, but a sorcerer could. If that ranger took Dragontouched, he'd also be able to take that feat. Even a normal kobold ranger could take it, the dragonblood subtype notwithstanding.
Ah, thanks.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 10:44:06 pm »

Does anyone know of any good but obscure tabletop games to play? I can personally recommend Geiger Counter.

I've been getting my feet wet in the tabletop business through Pokémon Tabletop United, if that counts as obscure. Basically, it's applying DnDesque elements to Pokémon and watching everything unfold from there. Despite my better judgment, I'm currently running a campaign of that over in the Forum Games and Roleplaying part of the site and I'm also working with a group of other people through Maptools for another campaign whenever we can meet up. It's a good time.

Can we also talk about how underappreciated and awesome Betrayal at House on the Hill is?

Ah hell ya. I've played that game a few times. It's a hoot.

BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 03:32:44 am »

Does anyone know of any good but obscure tabletop games to play? I can personally recommend Geiger Counter.
Does it have to be games we've actually played? Actually, now you've made me want to list and describe all the folders in my RPG's Library. Not that I'd describe all of them as good (or even necessarily ones I've read through), but most of them probably qualify as obscure.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2014, 07:10:41 pm »

If you're looking for obscure RPGs I can recommend Arrowflight and RuneQuest. Other than that, I can't think of any good obscure board games. Search "Tabletop" on Youtube and you should find Wil Wheaton's show that has a lot of good board games on it.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 07:20:18 pm »

I'm surprised no-one's said anything about Call of Cthulhu or Paranoia yet, in terms of P&P rpg's. There's also a card-based Mafia game that's set in the medieval era. Forgot what it's called.

Anyway, I'm part of a group who just finished with a player DM'ing a 3.5 prefab called The Red Hand of Doom. Pretty good. The usual DM liked the break, but spent the time cooking up a homebrew mash of CoC and D&D 3.5 and we start next week after he tries to find some other players. He recommended coming with a few extra built players.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 07:22:22 pm »

CoC and Paranoia are pretty well known though. Also the game you might be thinking of is One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 07:54:58 pm »

Has anybody played any of the "D&D Adventure System" boardgames?

Basically they're games set in D&D campaign settings like Ravenloft, but with the rules simplified into something more closely resembling HeroQuest than normal D&D.

But the cleverest thing is that the dungeons are created by placement of randomly shuffled facedown tiles so that they're different every time, sort of like some kind of tabletop roguelike
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 09:57:03 pm »

Has anybody played any of the "D&D Adventure System" boardgames?

Basically they're games set in D&D campaign settings like Ravenloft, but with the rules simplified into something more closely resembling HeroQuest than normal D&D.

But the cleverest thing is that the dungeons are created by placement of randomly shuffled facedown tiles so that they're different every time, sort of like some kind of tabletop roguelike
Sounds neat!

Unfortunately, nobody will play HeroQuest with me, let alone something with "Dungeons and Dragons" slapped onto the front of it. :(

Quick question for you D&D multiclassing experts: I was overcome to-day to create a character where the main idea of the thing is that I use this feat to ENTER THE DRAGON. Catch is, while "19 WIS" can be gotten past with some menial levels of minmaxing, "15 ranks in Knowledge (Nature)" automatically bars me until 12th level. I figured I'd just use the Wildshape Ranger variant (since most people around here throw Druids out the window on account of tiers) to get the wild shape class ability and tough out my not-dragon existence until then.

Thing is, it'd get pretty lame if my like 11 levels were just typical ranger stuff and one day I start making a point out of turning into a dragon to kill people, so I thought it might be better to use Dragonfire Adept levels to fill the gap, but I'm unsure how well this would work out. Would it be worth it to multiclass for five levels (and miss out on the last five levels of Dragonfire Adept class features) to get wildshape and the feat? I figured it'd be best to make levels 7-12 the Ranger ones so I can take the feat then and there and be done with it, if it matters.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 11:06:45 pm »

I will always recommend levels of DFA. You may also consider the fact that the way skill focus is worded that you gain ranks in the skill thanks to the feat, allowing you to take it three levels earlier.

At least, that's how it's been house-ruled within my group in order to be a more viable choice. So with that ruling, you can end up taking the feat right at 9th level, and with the DFA breath skill, you can already start out with skill focus(breath) and a metabreath feat like entangling exhalation or breath barrier, before ever being able to shape into the dragon.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 01:11:30 am »

Hm. Earlier dragon wildshaping is always a good thing, especially if I can get it in a Level Five-starting game. I'll have to check with my hypothetical DM to see if he/she is willing to houserule it, then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 131