Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 181640 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1875 on: July 13, 2017, 05:50:55 pm »

Interesting. I've only been reading the lore/setting so far, haven't reached the actual crunch.
Are you guys directing these complaints to a particular edition, or just the game in general? I'll try to make a character and see how that goes.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: July 13, 2017, 07:59:59 pm »

Interesting. I've only been reading the lore/setting so far, haven't reached the actual crunch.
Are you guys directing these complaints to a particular edition, or just the game in general? I'll try to make a character and see how that goes.

I'm not sure there's any actual difference between editions other than some cleaning up. I got my game in Y2000, so I have whatever edition was out at that time.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: July 13, 2017, 08:08:57 pm »

Now, no promises this is at all balanced, but I did see Savage Rifts go by recently which ports Rifts into the Savage World system (also used by Deadlands). Anyone play with it?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: July 13, 2017, 09:22:09 pm »

Rifts only has two editions, the base game and the 'Rifts Ultimate Edition', both are built on the same mechanics.  RUE condenses around twenty years of expanded rules from the world/dimension/sourcebooks into one book and updates the default O.C.C.s, but is ultimately brought down by the same nonsense that plagues the older books.  There are gaping holes in the ruleset that have never been addressed, basic problems with the balance between the three main focuses, magic and psionics are both woefully underpowered in comparison to technology, especially bionics (certain full conversion 'borg chassis are so stupidly OP they might as well be walking WMDs.)  It really is just an absolute nightmare mechanically, to the point that I've pretty much abandoned all but the most basic combat rules and it can still take HOURS to carry out fifteen seconds worth of combat.

I haven't tried the Savage World system, but I've heard some mixed things about it, so I can't really comment on it.  My personal feelings are that the setting itself is good (barring all of Siembieda's writer fiat), and if you like it, it will be fun to play with, but the mechanics are completely godawful bad, and should be either houseruled into obeisance or you should use another ruleset entirely.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 14, 2017, 12:09:57 am »

*** WARNING: INCOMING RANT *** (also, comic sans)

I'd say there are three things about Rifts that really annoy me. The first two are completely superficial and are related to formatting, errors and tone. The last one is mechanics.

Going into specifics:

(spoilered because as I said, these 2 are really pet peeves of mine and don't reflect the actual quality of the rules. Those are terrible, but that's not spoilered)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

#3: here we get to the meat of the issue. Rules are a mess. They make no sense... character generation takes forever, to fill the skill lists for example. Classes aren't just unbalanced, they are not even fit for the same game. Like, one class comes from a 80's saturday morning cartoon and has the power of friendship and reading books, and the other is MurderKillRoboto that can one-shot buildings with nuclear missiles and is a dragon who also reads minds. And a Jedi. But has a 5% penalty to the Accounting skill so that balances out.

I thought I had more to say about the rules, but it has been a while since I actually read them. I do remember hating them a lot, and not even compared to other games that "did it better"... they just make me angry for some reason.

Arguably the best part of the game are the sourcebooks, like you can get the Japan book and make a cool full conversion cyborg with a dragon body, or there's some fun backstory about Brazilian leopard men and stuff. The "Rifts in Space" sourcebooks for Phase World are also really cool, but they apparently don't even take place in the same dimension as Rifts Earth or something because Rifts Earth outer space doesn't exist or something (or at least you can't get from one to the other except by some magic portal), so essentially it's its own game and characters shouldn't just transfer over. The core book mentions that "because of rifts, races from other Palladium books can also be in Earth" which is barely touched on. But this adventure booklet told me that character X was an Elf and I had no idea how to stat him (because I didn't own PFantasy), it was just completely out of place, because no effort is made at all to actually make you feel like there are dwarves or elves palling around with MegaDamage guns. It's almost a sidenote.

EDIT 2: Hm, there's this post at story-games that describes a lot of the stuff that's being mentioned here, so probably it's a good idea to just check this out and save some time: http://www.story-games.com/forums/discussion/9965/sell-me-on-wait-for-it-the-palladium-system-i-kid-you-not
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:38:25 am by Sergius »

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 15, 2017, 03:32:55 am »

Alright, so it's been about a year since my last forum post. I can't remember why I left and I did miss it, so I'm back. During my hiatus I was able to try (4th edition) D&D and I've been loving it. I joined a D&D club at my school and, while the meetings have been short we've been having a lot of fun. I played through one full campaign, and part of a second one which we unfortunately didn't finish. With our only experienced DMs leaving, I volunteered to be DM for the next campaign since I have a little experience running combat from some PVP rounds we did when said DM couldn't make it on one occasion. Unfortunately, I've never made an adventure before, and I'm not sure what to do.

I've mapped out a heavily-Roman inspired (with notable exceptions) world, which features a country called the Merchant Republic of Formkatta. My original campaign idea involved the PCs toppling the current ruler who is a despot, but I figured this is too much for characters who are starting at level 1 and don't have much stake in the world, yet. My new idea is to run a shorter, local campaign in this country, while planting seeds for the power struggle campaign if they wish to pursue that afterwards.

As such, I want them to face a rather small, but still challegning and interesting threat. Here's my idea:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: Spoilered for length
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:27:05 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 15, 2017, 01:29:10 pm »

I had a bundle of suggestions of "malice actions" on a table it could take like cutting through it's own scabbard or damaging unattended weapons, sticking fast in a dead body and requiring actions and checks to remove or attracting snakes.

There was a bunch of stuff around the idea of it getting more powerful as it gets more validated by positive actions, but also becoming more unruly.

But yeah. Lost the page. Will have to be contented with my tiny parahrwphS m
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: July 15, 2017, 03:17:25 pm »

Those are some good ideas, especially small things like getting stuck, and I hadn't thought about the snake angle. Thanks. I'll definitely use those.

Also, I don't feel my first post made the assassin's motivations entirely clear. He killed that bard for a few reasons:
1. He was trying to sleep and could hear the music from his house.
2. He's already an assassin, so what better way to fix the problem?
3. He hates bards. He goes out everyday and does honest, dangerous work. Bards sit around singing and telling stories and get paid to do so!
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: July 15, 2017, 06:28:41 pm »

Hi everyone, relatively new to the forums, but I'm a huge fan of tabletop and DF.

I've wanted to combine those two ideas for awhile, using a system like DnD 5e or Pathfinder. I don't know how it'd work, really, but I think it could be fun. Does anybody have any suggestions for how to make that work?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 15, 2017, 06:38:35 pm »

Hi everyone, relatively new to the forums, but I'm a huge fan of tabletop and DF.

I've wanted to combine those two ideas for awhile, using a system like DnD 5e or Pathfinder. I don't know how it'd work, really, but I think it could be fun. Does anybody have any suggestions for how to make that work?

The obvious answer would be to just set it in a Mountainhome. Players would all be Dwarves. You can use the guide in the DMG or just closest equivalent to make monsters from DF in 5e.
You lore could be taken from worldgen.
If you wanted to model alcohol dependency just homerule something like every player must drink at least one alcoholic drink a day or suffer a level of fatigue or something. Perhaps after three days to prevent undue annoyance. This stacks until the player drinks and cannot be cured otherwise.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 15, 2017, 06:55:16 pm »

The obvious answer would be to just set it in a Mountainhome. Players would all be Dwarves. You can use the guide in the DMG or just closest equivalent to make monsters from DF in 5e.
You lore could be taken from worldgen.
If you wanted to model alcohol dependency just homerule something like every player must drink at least one alcoholic drink a day or suffer a level of fatigue or something. Perhaps after three days to prevent undue annoyance. This stacks until the player drinks and cannot be cured otherwise.

Ooh, I like that! I guess I'd have to play DF for a bit and write down designs for procedurally generated creatures like titans and forgotten beasts... or make up a table for generating them on the fly, maybe.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: July 15, 2017, 08:10:56 pm »

Datamining the game itself (legends mode + legends viewer) could provide a very useful basic package.

Gives you skeleton for campaign setting, bestiary of a sort, and a primer on local politics.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: July 15, 2017, 08:51:33 pm »

Part of what I would like to do is model the sometimes silly and nonsensical things that go along with DF... The players have to fight the monster because all of the town guard is attending a party, there's a pool of magma being held in a reservoir made of ice, etc. Of course there would be rumors of the ill-fated Boatmurdered...

Any other suggestions for that sort of thing?

Also, I'm wondering if I can program a procedural monster generator for 5e... Feed it all the Beast stats, and then some templates to modify them, and come up with an algorithm for putting them together.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 15, 2017, 10:07:20 pm »

Asinine mandates lead to smuggling and hunts for said scum, important projects (grate to keep the crocodiles out) being put on hold, politicking regarding who is to blame for failures, intrigue trying to finagle the leadership into avoiding/pursuing specific mandates for a wide and mostly stupid array of reasons.

Dwarven justice and medicine in general.

Zoos containing actual animals and also invaders.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: July 16, 2017, 06:04:52 am »

-
A lot of 'nonsensical and silly things' is just your input as a GM. A system won't help you with that.
Likewise a monster generator is all you.
I was going to suggest using BW to simulate your dwarfplayers, but you've said you're using DnD & PF.

So I'm not really sure what suggestions could even be offered.
Sounds like crazy fun though, good luck.

Edit: Pathfinder Kingmaker might help with settlement building.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 131