Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 181354 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1935 on: October 27, 2017, 05:45:53 pm »

Exchange Diplomacy (Bruce Duewer)
    A variant that combines ideas from the Payola and Bourse variants. Each player is an investor, trying to win the game by getting the largest stake in the winning power or coalition of powers in the Payola game which is going on.

I kinda dig this one too. The basic idea is that you can buy or sell shares in different nation's military ventures.

If you like that game, Imperial 2030 is a board game that runs off that same idea.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: October 28, 2017, 09:40:40 pm »

Does anyone have a discord they hang out in to play various board games?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 10, 2017, 11:43:56 pm »

So I'm thinking life is probably going to stabilize a bit now.  Some sources of personal drama are gone.  Vehicles that were total'd are repaired or replaced.  We are moved into our new house.  Work is settling after the big re-structure of the office.  And I'm likely to start working from home soon for reals, which will enable me to cut back on some responsibilities and hours.  Goddamn what a fucking ridiculous year it's been.

And now that I'm here, I really want to find a weekend game to join up with.  I miss role-playing so much.  I don't think I'm likely to find anything local among friends.  Anybody got any good leads before I start randomly stumbling about the internet looking for one?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: November 11, 2017, 12:28:46 am »

And now that I'm here, I really want to find a weekend game to join up with.  I miss role-playing so much.  I don't think I'm likely to find anything local among friends.  Anybody got any good leads before I start randomly stumbling about the internet looking for one?

Well, are you looking for tabletop games as in board games or tabletop games as in D&D-style pnpRPGs? Because if it's the latter, you might have more luck in the thread for them, too .
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:34:12 am by Trekkin »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: November 11, 2017, 12:56:24 am »

Well, are you looking for tabletop games as in board games or tabletop games as in D&D-style pnpRPGs? Because if it's the latter, you might have more luck in the thread for them, too .

Gah, you're right.  I knew we had such a thread that's usually floating somewhere in the first couple pages of GD.  Came on this one first, and Tabletop is synonymous with PnP RPG in my mind.  Because board games don't really need to specify that, do they?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: November 11, 2017, 01:03:14 am »

Gah, you're right.  I knew we had such a thread that's usually floating somewhere in the first couple pages of GD.  Came on this one first, and Tabletop is synonymous with PnP RPG in my mind.  Because board games don't really need to specify that, do they?

I always thought that tabletop games were a superset of board games so as to include card games (especially deck and tableau builders).

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: November 11, 2017, 01:09:18 am »

I hear that from people a lot, but I've never thought of roleplay as a board game.  There can be a board game element if you break out a map and miniatures for crunchy encounter stuff, but that's a sideshow.  I've never even done that much, preferring things more freeform and story-focused.  The essence of the game is impromptu, collaborative storytelling.  I know I'm in the minority on that, though.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: November 11, 2017, 01:53:39 am »

I hear that from people a lot, but I've never thought of roleplay as a board game.  There can be a board game element if you break out a map and miniatures for crunchy encounter stuff, but that's a sideshow.  I've never even done that much, preferring things more freeform and story-focused.  The essence of the game is impromptu, collaborative storytelling.  I know I'm in the minority on that, though.

Are you, though? Certainly no one I've ever played with has ever actually used minis and maps in any regimented way, and I've only used any kind of crunchy combat rules once in the past three years for all of one half of one round of D&D 5e. We don't play FATE or DramaSystem, but honestly every system we do play has more or less morphed into one of the two with additional subsystems, and it's the same for everyone I know barring one determined Pathfinder group.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: November 11, 2017, 01:59:28 am »

Are you, though? Certainly no one I've ever played with has ever actually used minis and maps in any regimented way, and I've only used any kind of crunchy combat rules once in the past three years for all of one half of one round of D&D 5e. We don't play FATE or DramaSystem, but honestly every system we do play has more or less morphed into one of the two with additional subsystems, and it's the same for everyone I know barring one determined Pathfinder group.

That's been my impression talking with other gamers, and going to Gencon almost every year.  Seems like most people do combat-heavy adventure stuff and like their grid maps.  And I rarely meet anyone who plays anything other than D&D/Pathfinder, which is the most oriented towards that stuff.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1944 on: November 11, 2017, 04:57:55 am »

My group flips between the two interchangeably. One session we'll end up going purely roleplay and out-of-combat stuff, another will be tactical combat for most of the session. I find both fun.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: November 11, 2017, 05:14:13 am »

In Swedish, apart from the word literally meaning board games ("brädspel"), we have a more broadly applicable word, "sällskapsspel", meaning sorta like "company games" (as in keeping another company), which I feel role-playing games fit very nicely into. But if translated, I would still translate it to "board games" since it is the closest equivalent.
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: November 11, 2017, 09:16:45 am »

That's been my impression talking with other gamers, and going to Gencon almost every year.  Seems like most people do combat-heavy adventure stuff and like their grid maps.  And I rarely meet anyone who plays anything other than D&D/Pathfinder, which is the most oriented towards that stuff.
card games, rpgs, and also tactics games like Warhammer. That's what people lump in the most. But it does also include board games even though those aren't as far down the rabbit hole of nerdery.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: November 11, 2017, 09:26:27 am »

Unless you're a board game need.

*Settlers of Catan intensifies*
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: November 12, 2017, 03:23:06 pm »

This thread is just fine for tabletop roleplaying games.

Currently, I'm playing a Fate Discord game on thursdays. We're sort of going thru all kinds of settings rather than one long campaign. We're just finishing up the Tower of the Serpents and after that we're probably going to try one with knights of the round table with giant robots.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: November 12, 2017, 07:16:29 pm »

-Snip-

Not entirely the right thread. Ignore!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:40:12 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131