Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 180123 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1905 on: July 22, 2017, 12:26:16 am »

I really don't care. Thought you'd like to know. You decide if it's right for you I didn't mean to sound demanding.

Yeah, really old and outdated. Also the only real way to play if everyone is in different time zones or no one can make a strict schedule...
Makes sense. I'm just being selfish. I just want more people to come to forum games and roleplaying. >:D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:32:49 am by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 22, 2017, 02:11:27 am »

Yeah, really old and outdated. Also the only real way to play if everyone is in different time zones or no one can make a strict schedule...
This. As an Aussie, PBP is basically one of my only options.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 22, 2017, 02:52:13 am »

As a fellow Aussie, I gotta warn that Play by Post is useful for allowing non-US timezones to participate, but is still a horribly slow method. I recently finished a scenario that is designed for a five hour session during a tabletop game, and it took 3 months to complete via play-by-post.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 22, 2017, 07:12:48 am »

If your options are to spend two months in a single adventure and then probably to never finish another, or to sporadically have adventures with only partial groups at irregular times, you're still better off with the latter option.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 30, 2017, 02:11:19 am »

Greetings, Bay12ers. (This is an XPost seeking feedback/criticism/playtesters)

I've created a d100 Dieselpunk tabletop roleplaying game called Akroydiesel Age RPG.  The latest version of it will always be available on this discord server but I can also upload a snapshot on request, posting the link here or elsewhere.  I'd rather not having a permanent public-facing link of a wide variety of reasons but also occassionally make threads for it on 4chan's /tg/ board.

Anyone interested in playtesting, taking a look, or letting me know I'm an idiot feel free to PM me here/contact me in the discord.  This is a crosspost so I cannot promise I'll see every reply in-thread, though I'll make an effort to.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1910 on: September 04, 2017, 08:55:26 pm »

IMO, RTD is defined by the gradient between total failure and total success. In DnD, if you roll a 9 on a DC 10 roll, you just fail, that's it. The same would happen if you had rolled a 2 or a 6. But in RTD there are at any given time six unique different things that could happen every time you roll a die, which means more unintended consequences, more odd situations. The fact that the characters don't ONLY succeed and fail, but fail utterly, half-succeed, get carried away... it opens up so many different possibilities, that not even the GM could have seen coming. You trade the players' and the GM's control over the plot for the RNG's control, and often she's better at coming up with stories than we ever could be.

I was wondering if someone who knows D&D could confirm something stated in this quote: in D&D, rolls are binary fail/succeed scenarios with no gradation, true?
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: September 04, 2017, 09:01:33 pm »

For the most part, yes. You don't meet the DC, you fail the roll.
However, there are some instances (and every such instance is specifically noted on its page, i.e. Acrobatics for how far you can jump straight up) where failing or passing a DC by a certain amount has additional consequences/boons. They're usually noted like "if you fail the DC by five or more", or "for every 5 higher your roll was than the DC".
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: September 04, 2017, 09:06:58 pm »

That sums it up.  For a specific 3.5 example, here's Use Rope: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useRope.htm
Failing to grapple something by 5 or more points *appears* to work, but will rapidly come loose.  Fail by less 5 points, and you know you need to try again.

We never did it much, but this is a good opportunity for secret DM rolls.  /gr in roll20, only asking the player for their bonus.  That way the player doesn't have metaknowledge about the rope's stability...  Which applies to other things like stealth, though stealth is pretty binary RAW.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: September 04, 2017, 10:17:07 pm »

It should be emphasized that those are the exceptions, though. While people might houserule that rolling a 20 or a 1 is an exceptional success or failure, by the rules as written, it's almost never any more complicated than a binary pass/fail.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: September 05, 2017, 04:20:17 pm »

And to quibble over semantics, damage rolls are certainly not binary.

Also, Knowledge skill checks typically give more information the higher you roll, usually for every 5 points you exceed the check.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: September 06, 2017, 12:25:24 am »

I seem to remember that disarming traps only sets the trap off if you fail by X, but I might be misremembering between choosing to disable and recover the traps, which is done beforehand.
I also don't remember if you can jam a lock if you also fail by too much. Am I getting D&D mixed up with Morrowind?

EDIT: here it is (both failing and succeeding by a large margin, 3.5 edition I think):
"If it fails by 4 or less, you have failed but can try again. If you fail by 5 or more, something goes wrong. If the device is a trap, you spring it. If you’re attempting some sort of sabotage, you think the device is disabled, but it still works normally."

And exclusive for rogues:
"A rogue who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more can study the trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (along with her companions) without disarming it. "

Note that these are based on results of the roll rather than an increased difficulty set beforehand.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:32:21 am by Sergius »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: September 06, 2017, 12:32:50 am »

In D&D I can imagine a trap being set off by a critical failure roll of 1, likewise a lock getting jammed. What would happen if you roll a 2 would be mostly up to the DM, probably the trap wouldn't be set off but noise would be caused by your fumbling.

Locks couldn't get jammed in Morrowind. You could try over and over as long as you had enough uses in your lockpicks, often necessary to as success was percentage based on your skill level.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: September 06, 2017, 01:38:35 am »

Ours was generally: (0) Fail to disarm - (-5) spring trap - (nat1) spring trap and flat footed.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: September 06, 2017, 10:10:20 am »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: September 13, 2017, 06:51:04 pm »

Hey, since I've got no life and nothing better to do, I'll dump another link.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-rpg-books
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 131