Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 180106 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1920 on: September 14, 2017, 12:48:30 am »

After we've finally finished buying our new house and settled into that and my new work schedule, I'm really wanting to look for a campaign to get into.  It's been so fucking long since roleplay has been a regular part of my life.  I'm desperately hoping it's something I'll be able to manage in the near future.

Really wanting to play something other than D&D, though... still fascinated by Eclipse Phase and Burning Wheel, and worried I'll never get to play them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: September 14, 2017, 04:20:23 am »

I played some Burning wheel and it was really fun. The only issue really is that you start the game very un-special.
I, however, used my knives at every opportunity and my knives skill soared so high I was quickly a whirling dervish of death.
Which isn't really what you want from a story game.

Alternatively, just been playing Imperial Assault, and it's awfully hard.
Specifically doors. Doors are hard. Hard as nails.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1922 on: September 14, 2017, 08:23:38 am »

Explain.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: September 14, 2017, 09:12:02 am »

Explain.
Perhaps Imperial Assault is about playing someone without hands. A common challenge is opening various doors.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: September 14, 2017, 09:27:38 am »

Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure I once overheard someone on the bus explain why Imperial Assault has hard doors. IA is the Star Wars wargame, right?
If I heard this guy right, it's because of how turns work. You have to get everyone in front on the door, and then open it at the start of your turn so you can handle the flurry of lasers coming your way. IIRC, there's no breaching charges or anything, which makes it way harder.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: September 14, 2017, 02:20:04 pm »

That's true, usually the Imperials get a lot of free reinforcement drops when a plot door opens, but they're all "fresh", so if it's coming up on the end of your turn that means a lot of bullets coming at you with no counter.

For my complaint we recently had a mission where we had six turns to blow open a door manually, which had armour five.
Thankfully though, we had the option to free two allied saboteurs, which were able to do a whopping 2d3 damage, and therefore actually were able to hurt the damn thing unlike the rest of us.
My sniper who had the second-most pierce was able to burn all of his abilities every turn and do one damage to it on a 9+

We had four turns.
It had eight health.
Doors suck.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:24:02 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: September 15, 2017, 01:06:55 am »

In addition to my weekly face to face game, the last couple of months I've been playing with a small group several one-shots of Fate / FAE. We've been cycling thru all the Worlds of Adventure. So far we're just about 3 regulars, but a few have come and gone, and playing over Discord using Roll20 as our tabletop.

First we played a custom-built setting (using Spark of Fate to build) about an agency investigating supernatural events abroad in the 80's. After that, we played Save Game, which is about old 8-bit videogame characters fighting some sort of corruption, and today we finished a 3-4 session adventure of Aether Sea, where I played a goblin pilot together with an elf wizard saving some planet from some bomb or something. Pretty fun.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: October 25, 2017, 04:10:09 pm »

Would anybody be interested in a game of play-by-post Diplomacy on the forum?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1928 on: October 25, 2017, 05:45:27 pm »

My friend was talking about it the other day. How much time investment is there and how easy is it to learn to play?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: October 25, 2017, 06:26:17 pm »

It's super easy to learn how to play, since combat is deliberately simple to prevent it from overshadowing the influence of diplomacy in the game. Combat is still important, of course, but it's not something that can carry you throughout the entire game. Conducting diplomacy and a good dash of luck is what you need to win games, or at least not get absolutely crushed by everyone else.

Time-investment varies, though given that it's play-by-post I can't imagine that it's too high. Orders are simple to do, so most of your time is being sucked up by shooting PMs out to the other players. I'd be surprised if it's more than 30 minutes a day, especially in the late game when a few players are eliminated and the major alliances are ironed out.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1930 on: October 26, 2017, 11:26:30 pm »

Well it doesn't sound like the oppressive (to me) pace that Mafia has, so in that case I'm super down!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: October 27, 2017, 08:17:00 am »

I thought it was a game which relied on zero luck.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: October 27, 2017, 08:37:05 am »

Combat is entirely deterministic. However luck is still important, in the sense of 'The other players didn't conspire to gank you on turn 1' or 'Someone flubbed their orders and you prospered from it' or 'Your rivals didn't coordinate enough and made a significant blunder'. Luck not in terms of dice rolls but in external factors you can't fully control going your way.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: October 27, 2017, 10:22:59 am »

I thought it was a game which relied on zero luck.

There's luck in you or others fucking up. It happens.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: October 27, 2017, 01:09:46 pm »

Sure.

We've run a few of those. However, one day I'd like to try the variants as well:
http://www.diplomatic-pouch.org/Online/variants1.html

Chaos (Michel Ferion)
    A 34-player variant which uses the standard map. Every player starts out with one home supply center. Standard Diplomacy rules apply except that a player can build in any owned supply center, not just the home center.

Diplomacy Royale (John Pitre)
    This variant can be used with any map. The rules have been heavily modified to include blood lines, royal families, marriages, binding agreements, titles, and more.
http://www.diplomatic-pouch.org/Zine/S1997M/Pitre/Royale.html

Exchange Diplomacy (Bruce Duewer)
    A variant that combines ideas from the Payola and Bourse variants. Each player is an investor, trying to win the game by getting the largest stake in the winning power or coalition of powers in the Payola game which is going on.

I kinda dig this one too. The basic idea is that you can buy or sell shares in different nation's military ventures.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:35:53 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131