Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why aren't my dwarfs talking to their lovers?  (Read 2483 times)

somnifera

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why aren't my dwarfs talking to their lovers?
« on: November 07, 2014, 07:32:52 pm »

Hi guys, I'm trying to populate my entire fortress with the starting seven, so trying to get them to get married and have kids. Got them to become lovers, no problem; but after they become lovers they stop interacting with each other. They'll talk to all their other friends but not each other even if I lock them in a room together. Then I tried deleting everything and starting from a clean install, but they still won't talk to their lovers. Thoughts?

I'm on LNP for windows 40.14.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why aren't my dwarfs talking to their lovers?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »

I haven't had this problem, my dwarves get thoughts from talking to their wives and stuff. If you want them to get married make sure you designated a table or statue as a meeting room. So dwarves can set up parties\marriages in there.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 08:38:19 pm »

Hi guys, I'm trying to populate my entire fortress with the starting seven, so trying to get them to get married and have kids. Got them to become lovers, no problem; but after they become lovers they stop interacting with each other. They'll talk to all their other friends but not each other even if I lock them in a room together. Then I tried deleting everything and starting from a clean install, but they still won't talk to their lovers. Thoughts?

I'm on LNP for windows 40.14.

I have the same problem in 40.14 (without LNP), no marriage, no kids after 8 years. I had several romances right in the first year (I had interaction between lovers at that point) when everyone was huddled together in a small underground shelter breaking the aquifer. Not so much since then. Also no significant social skill gain even among idlers with statue garden / dining room, well all present - regardless of personality type or leisure time or job. Later arrivals regularly have ALL pure social skills rusty.

somnifera

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 09:04:45 pm »

Just tried a clean install again, still no go. I've managed to get ONE fortress where it worked, no idea how.

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:14:20 am »

Could be a feature.. I mean.. It is that weird for lovers not to talk anymore? :p

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 11:38:43 am »

Welcome to RL marriage. (haha) 8)  Might you're putting too much pressure on them? Your Armok eye peering down on him, he can't perform! You sure it's a male and female pair, females look like males. Real Comment: My dwarves are having babies so I've not had this issue.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:11:02 pm »

Welcome to RL marriage. (haha) 8)  Might you're putting too much pressure on them? Your Armok eye peering down on him, he can't perform! You sure it's a male and female pair, females look like males. Real Comment: My dwarves are having babies so I've not had this issue.

Which version? Married in fortress or arrived married as migrants? How large is your fortress / how long does it last? More data, please.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 01:14:10 pm »

Are they meeting in meeting areas or taking breaks together?  Also, talking is not a requirement for babymaking.  Once married (idk about 'lovers' but Id imagine they act the same) they should randomly make spore-babies.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 01:42:09 pm »

I'm not sure it's related to your observations directly, but it's worth noting that it's possible for dwarves to be interested in romance but not marriage now, so they can get to Lover status without ever moving past that.  Maybe there's some bug that causes dwarves to stop socializing at that point?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 03:35:16 pm »

Dwarfs in general interact _much_ less with each other in 0.40.14/15. Two "real wagon" experiments resulted in a bunch of early friendships and a few romances, but no progress to marriage took place, no new relationships formed after about a season and social skills developed extremely slowly (more than a year to get "novice" anything). A comparison test in .40.3 or so had everyone legendary in all social skills in under a year.

I suspect that in-fort marriage is almost or entirely impossible currently.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 11:25:23 pm »

They are at an awkward stage of their relationship, the part where they get their friends to talk to each other for them. You must beak them out of their awkwardness by releasing a rabid dog into the area.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 01:47:08 am »

Yeah, set up a situation where one of them rescues the other from certain death (or gets torn apart so the childhood friend can move in).