Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Newbie Questions for MasterWork(newest version)  (Read 42692 times)

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbie Questions for MasterWork(newest version)
« on: November 08, 2014, 02:11:02 pm »

I just installed and < > symbols  when I press in game literally don't do anything, I can't view underground.
Am I missing something?
And also is there away I can have a windowed version of this that someone who doesn't write or understand code could comprehend?
I really need to have the window of the game not take up the whole screen while reading game tutorials or even the first screen when you press the application in the  game and this point only way to do so is to totally leave the game.
I haven't even figured out to graceful even close the first  screen either any tips
Also how do I use or find dwarf fortress with Masterworks?
I know its hidden somewhere I just got no clue

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Questions for MasterWork(newest version)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 02:42:09 pm »

For the controls, you have choices, from the launcher, there is a "keybindings" option, "Default" does use < and >.

From windowed mode, same place, the launcher, a drop down called "Window", two options bellow the Keybindings.

If any of this doesn't work, then a question has to be asked, and that is how you installed it.

MDF is a full package, that you extract somewhere, and play from the launcher.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 02:42:53 pm »

I just installed and < > symbols  when I press in game literally don't do anything, I can't view underground.

I don't think < and > do anything by default in either vanilla or Masterwork.  You probably want them to go up and down levels as they do in vanilla.  To do this you need to change the key bindings.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Interface.txt

But you might want to try using , and .
saves a lot of hitting the shift key

And also is there away I can have a windowed version of this that someone who doesn't write or understand code could comprehend?

There is a Window option on the first tab of the GUI under miscellaneous.  Check it.

I haven't even figured out to graceful even close the first  screen either any tips

I don't know what the "first screen" is so I don't really understand the question.  If you mean you know how to open the GUI but not how to launch Dwarf Fortress from it, then you need to click the button in the upper left that looks like a dwarf.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:45:11 pm by smakemupagus »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 02:45:08 pm »

Am I missing something?
I really need to have the window of the game not take up the whole screen while reading game tutorials or even the first screen when you press the application in the  game and this point only way to do so is to totally leave the game.

To go windowed you launch the Masterwork Dwarf Fortress launcher from the file you extracted everything to.  On the right side of the first screen is the option for "Window."  Change that to yes.

In terms of the < or > changing levels.  That should still work.  Are you hitting "Shift , " and Shift ." to us < and >?  Perhaps in your vanilla version your rebound the keys to just , and . and it's throwing you off?

I'm not sure what you mean by close the first screen though.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 07:07:50 pm »

Sorry I've been up too long trying to figure the whole thing out.
To clarify I was referring to the GUI but my brain was going uh, what's the name of first screen after you press application.
Weird thing is sometimes up  and down arrows work for me in certain parts of interface but others not so much.
Probably just case newbitist.
How I installed is I unzipped the  game in its own folder on my desktop. I couldn't exactly find anything called exe. just application

Socrates1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 08:47:23 pm »

Not sure where to post this exactly, but I also have a question.
So I am playing in Adventure Mode as a human mage.
I walked into a fortress and found a slab, that said "Secrets of plague and disease" or something similar.
I gained tons of powers, and I am now considered a toximancer.
How common are these slabs? I tried googling stuff about it but nothing relevant popped up.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 09:02:09 pm »

That's just one of the powers MDF adds to the "slab" system, that vanilla only uses to teach necromancy.

Basically, you gained access to pretty potent spells, just like how necromancers gain secrets to revive undeads.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 09:12:34 pm »

They're part of the vanilla world-gen secrets.

Well, kind of. The vanilla release only had one as an example, but MDF incorporates many more varieties. They're superficially similar to the powers of the specialized castes (like the spells of dwarf magic users), but obviously learned rather than being intrinsic to a race's rare subspecies.

I don't know how common they are but they're incorporated from the Dwarf Chocolate mod (or rather, the Dwarf Chocolate mod is incorporated into MDF to help add variety).

Socrates1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 09:20:16 pm »

Oddly, I found it lying on the ground in a fortress tower. So much power ignored by the common folk.

TheStratovarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 07:26:54 am »

Fresh install, Dwarf Focus, and trying to make a large region, advanced gen, no changes, and its currently, at about 2 hours later, trying to make world number #59. Is this normal, or just something wrong that I need to stop as its stuck in endless loop?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 09:12:37 am »

World gen is never endless, but the system will only fail out after about 100 failed attempts at generating worlds - and only if those attempts fail at the same point. If it fails late in the process (such as just prior to starting history), and the world is large (or your generation is just slow), it could take hours before the system pauses itself. It will indicate why it is having trouble creating a viable world when it does so.

Of course, you can always pause it yourself and abort the world gen to tweak settings before that happens.

Try to keep an eye out for where in the process that it stops a world and begins a new one. What world gen parameters are you using? AFAIK, if you haven't changed anything at all, all the default parameters should be viable, but if you've changed things like playable civs (in particular toggling a civ from fort-playable to not) in the launcher, world gen might fail because it fails the "must have playable race" check. Default worldgen parameters should always be viable, but not all races survive world gen, and if your only playable race is one of those then worldgen will fail.

If that's the case, I'm afraid I'm not sure how to get a race that often fails to survive world gen to do so.

TheStratovarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 10:16:03 am »

I finally had to stop it around 130ish or so attempts, the dwarves just would not, and could not seem to survive at all.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 10:20:11 am »

Fresh install, Dwarf Focus, and trying to make a large region, advanced gen, no changes, and its currently, at about 2 hours later, trying to make world number #59. Is this normal, or just something wrong that I need to stop as its stuck in endless loop?
Short answer: Large Region is a vanilla preset, and with all the changes made by MDF, it has chances to not work or have problems.

What you will want to use are the named presets, rather than the "SIZE"_island/region, because they have all been tailored to generate properly, and to provide worlds that for the most part allow for a proper play (way less "no seed" problems on embark, generation working on the first few tries...).

Additionally, you might want to try to only generate short history worlds, because that's the only way to ensure that most races survive.
Not like it's wrong to generate longer world, if you are OK with some of the races dying off because of the unbelievable monsters that some of the races have (the frost, among others).

You might want to read about each presets in the manual, because they are all completely different, with some adapted for more tame wild life, others way more keen on letting you go into high savagery.

TheStratovarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 01:06:08 pm »

It ends up erroring on every single preset world, with the error "Unable to place controllable simulation"

I've not had this issue with warlocks, kobolds, or humans with other worlds, and the large regions or presets, just dwarves give this error.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 02:50:46 pm »

Personally I just want to build and create, maybe roleplay after I get my base set up and not have to do battle until I want too.
I want my dwarves to be able to use seeds even if they are in a barrel.
I want to easily quantum stockpile my stuff if I can figure that out by item name without having to go through every item and maybe it will work, maybe it won't.
I want to play Mastercraft but I want to dig down like I do in regular Dwarf Fortress.
I don't want to go in hermit mode or warrior mode without choosing this and having this choice not sprung upon me.
I want my stuff to go where I want it to go and work the way I have read and watched it work.
I want the ls not zoom so fast by I can't see which commands I can use on dfhack.
I pick my parameters and everything careful but something has went terribly awry.
Two embankments everyone died within seconds most crushed by all the supplies and mishap thinking
certain explosive pet might be helpful, three  rescue attempts I gave up.
All I notice is in dfhack it said "error on evil" a whole tons of times listing various monsters.
I am feeling bit frustrated.
I generate short worlds.
I have my settings for no invasion, but I guess that doesn't include death by wagon full of supplies  twice.
I wish there was mod for what I want to do but I will confess this mod is better than ones I have been attempting to play the last month.
Maybe I am asking to much:(
Tell me I am I will give up now.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:59:16 pm by JDRX »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7