Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Newbie Questions for MasterWork(newest version)  (Read 42696 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Questions for MasterWork(newest version)
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »

Some of the items you are indeed asking too much.  (seeds in barrels, quantum stockpile, ... it is how it is until Toady changes the underlying mechanics)

The exploding wagon is quite possibly a Masterwork bug, but not one that other people experience a lot, so if you want help you have to slow down and describe what actually happened.  I can't tell... it sounds like you're saying that you embarked purposely with some exploding creatures?  If so then, my first attempt at some advice is: don't do that if you don't want explosions?  If you know what creature it is then maybe mention it by name that so someone can take a look at it and see if it's working as intended or not?

Some of the items are simply user error (perfectly understandable because this game is hard), like not being able to dig down.  People here are generally pretty friendly and will go out of their way to help you out, if you're willing to put in the effort to describe a little bit more precisely how you're stuck.  Like, for us who have played for a long time, it is hard to understand why you think digging down is different than in regular Dwarf Fortress.  Are you still stuck on key bindings or are you past that and not knowing how to designate stairs?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 03:55:34 pm »

In order:

Disable or raise the wealth requirements for invasions in the launcher.
Same as the vanilla exploit, < d > < b > < d >, and select the area of effect. Doesn't work without a garbage zone.
Same as vanilla, unless you're humans/kobolds. The digging restrictions on those civs is intentional to make the game more interesting.
Same as vanilla, select your civ with < Tab > on the map screen just before the embark profiles.
Stockpiles, I guess. Not sure what the issue is here.
Can you not scroll up the interface with the type-cursor? I don't use DF Hack.
Losing is fun.
Sounds like the wagon deconstructed above everyone's heads and they died when their stuff fell on them. Avoid steep terrain I guess.
The Dwarves can build landmines, and you can request them from caravans if you're friendly with dwarves.
Probably normal, maybe.
You get used to it.
According to Meph that's recommended anyway.
No invasions just means nobody will try to stick pointy things in your citizens, doesn't mean your citizens won't stick pointy things in themselves. Again, I suggest embarking on a flat-land; using the < Tab > key on the pre-embark map as before also lets you see the relative "hilliness" and height of the terrain, instead of the biomes, it's quite useful. If your wagon still explodes then it's probably a bug/installation error.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:59:36 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Socrates1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 07:43:02 pm »

When will Masterwork update to the newest version of DF? Or has it already?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 09:06:31 pm »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 06:26:18 am »

Personally I just want to build and create, maybe roleplay after I get my base set up and not have to do battle until I want too.
I want my dwarves to be able to use seeds even if they are in a barrel.
I want to easily quantum stockpile my stuff if I can figure that out by item name without having to go through every item and maybe it will work, maybe it won't.
I want to play Mastercraft but I want to dig down like I do in regular Dwarf Fortress.
I don't want to go in hermit mode or warrior mode without choosing this and having this choice not sprung upon me.
I want my stuff to go where I want it to go and work the way I have read and watched it work.
I want the ls not zoom so fast by I can't see which commands I can use on dfhack.

I pick my parameters and everything careful but something has went terribly awry.
Two embankments everyone died within seconds most crushed by all the supplies and mishap thinking
certain explosive pet might be helpful, three  rescue attempts I gave up.
All I notice is in dfhack it said "error on evil" a whole tons of times listing various monsters.
I am feeling bit frustrated.
I generate short worlds.
I have my settings for no invasion, but I guess that doesn't include death by wagon full of supplies  twice.
I wish there was mod for what I want to do but I will confess this mod is better than ones I have been attempting to play the last month.
Maybe I am asking to much:(
Tell me I am I will give up now.
Well, a lot of what you ask are actually working just as in vanilla, so not sure how to answer those.
The ones I marked in green, specifically, are all things that are most definitely feasible, and the dfhack "ls" thing, you can just scroll up, so I'm not sure what's wrong with this for you.

Now, for the not getting attacked until you wish for it, if you don't make too much wealth until you finished your walls and a safe-ish caravan access, you would only have to worry about flying enemies, and potentially swimming ones, both being somewhat rare.
If you make clever use of all the tools you have, you can make it so that only 3 squares of the edge have any ground access to your fort, by putting walls all the way to the edge (impossible in vanilla).

For the world generation, I would tell you to pick one of the presets that are not the vanilla ones, depending on your tastes, they work fine most of the time, or to search around a bit, someone made an extensive research on what parameters to use to generate valid worlds without them being created by "perfect world".

As for the dfhack spam and death of your caravans instantly, it could be due to where you embark too, some of the bad weather on the evil regions could make every living die on contact.

Also, I gather that english is not your primary language (it's not mine either, before you start hitting), because some of your formulations are a bit odd and lack a few words, so I am not certain I understand all this wagon crushing people problems.

For the green things, I'd advise to look around a bit more, especially the part for choosing the race, which is a combo of enabling "Fort" only the races you might play on the launcher, and a vanilla manipulation when choosing your site, to select your race.

Lastly, "I want my stuff to go where I want it to go and work the way I have read and watched it work.", I interpreted as "I want my stockpiles to work like I want them to.", but I think that you are still not very familiar with the 't' menu when you are setting your piles (and I think it's 'q' when they are set), as well as the whole 'g'ive and 't'ake options (they are not that easy to master).
What was your specific problem on this?
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 03:05:09 pm »

I don't understand why I can use the < and > keys to look underground and why the digging feature is so fricking hard for me in Masterwork DF.
Any more than I can't scroll up in DFhack.
There are features of this game I like whole lot more than the current version of DF.
I wish I knew how to work around this.
Thats why I wrote this post.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 04:08:23 pm »

I don't understand why I can use the < and > keys to look underground and why the digging feature is so fricking hard for me in Masterwork DF.

I don't either, since the digging is completely identical to how it is in vanilla. What problems exactly are you having?

Socrates1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 05:17:28 pm »

How do I turn on truetype?
What's the difference between warwolves and werewolves?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:03:58 pm by Socrates1337 »

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 09:15:16 pm »

slay_mithos,
I don't speak any other language except English but I do have certain  unfortunate health conditions that make communication rough for me.
Like I have this weird habit of missing words or not being able to communicate clearly certain ideas.
Its incredibly difficult at times
:(
If I was DF character, in the red section it would say I am creative, often ill, constantly tired, easily frustrated and has major problems with any type of language but likes to communicate and be understood.:)

I am not sure if the problems I am facing are due to just not understanding or my health.
I play games especially the ones that let me create virtual spaces because its something I like to do.
I see DF and Masterwork DF as possible way of doing this.
Yet there is lot of complexity too that I am hitting major walls of frusteration at the moment with too.
It's frustrating. I ran into this problem also when I was trying to learn how to 3d objects for game worlds that used vrml.
I eventually gave up.
But this experience has given me some creative ideas,  I just wish I had programing and animating skills to do this.
I have this idea about Dwarves and all the races in year 20,000.
I am going to draw pictures of it and take a break for bit.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:18:08 pm by JDRX »

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 09:27:22 pm »

I don't either, since the digging is completely identical to how it is in vanilla. What problems exactly are you having?

The only time  I  got to see the underground was when some how by a mishap I got a suprise version of hermit mode when I was carry pretty close to nothing.
Ussually I max out the embarkment amount bring virtual everything except now I don't bring exploding pets after being killed by major explosion of over 100000 embarkment credits worth of stuff.
The area was huge and was literally covered in its entire large 150  by 150 square foot of goods.
But it was learning experience.
Sort of wish though I had entire army of environmental clean up crew to do rescue mission.
I am not sure what I am doing or even how to express why the < and > keys are working or how to get the other mods.
Sorry I am clueless newbie at this point just started exploring this game about a month ago and for two weeks I did nothing but watch youtube videos on it.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 09:30:24 pm »

Oh and another issue I have is building above ground.
Every time I try my masonry worker sort of goes nuts and keeps saying I can't construct the wall.
But he doesn't explain why.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 01:02:12 am »

If complexity is the issue, I'd say to start with packs that are just vanilla + tools, like the old Lazy newb pack (not sure what it is called right now, it changed names multiple times over the years).

Vanilla has a lot less overly complex things that distract from learning all the already complex mechanics.
It also has a lot of content on its own, and if you take on latest versions, even things that are not in MDF.

The most important thing is that all those videos, wikis and tutorials are based on vanilla, and even if it translates without troubles in MDF, but you will find the exact same setups in vanilla, wich makes the learning part easier.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 01:09:17 am »

DF Starter pack is the current one.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 05:10:04 pm »

Is this a place to ask newbie questions? If so:
I just recently started a human town. But when I built the seven shacks for the humans to live in, I noticed that I couldn't buld roofs, as the game said that there was no access to them.
I built a ladder next to the wall, but it still doesn't let me.
What do I do?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 05:19:35 pm »

Ladder? More likely you want a ramp. If you built an upstair, you need a downstair on the level above.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7