Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Newbie Questions for MasterWork(newest version)  (Read 42689 times)

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Questions for MasterWork(newest version)
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 05:34:37 pm »

Ladder? More likely you want a ramp. If you built an upstair, you need a downstair on the level above.
I built an up/down one. Maybe that's the problem?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »

If you built an up/down, you still need to build a down or up-down above it to get to the next level.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 05:41:44 pm »

Yes, up/down stairs are one object at the z-level that it is constructed. For example:

Z +1 roof
Z 00 upstairs, or up/down-stairs
Z -1 basement (or unmined ground)

Even an up/down-stairs needs a downstair (or up/down stair) access on the floor above (or a upstair [or up/down stair] object on the floor below, if using it to go down z-levels).

Note that having an downstairs construction on the roof above will still prevent a floor tile from being placed there, so the shack basically has permanent roof access. A better idea is to create a ramp outside the shack on a wall. A ramp providers both an access path to the upper z-level, as well as the access path down to 0-level from that upper z-level. The ramp can be easily removed once the roof is completed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:45:33 pm by Niveras »

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 05:58:23 am »

Is this a place to ask newbie questions? If so:
I just recently started a human town. But when I built the seven shacks for the humans to live in, I noticed that I couldn't buld roofs, as the game said that there was no access to them.
I built a ladder next to the wall, but it still doesn't let me.
What do I do?

I am having same issues with above ground buildings too or worse yet they won't build walls.
Finally figured out how to get my humans to dig in cave and stuff but huge chunk of them are sick and thirsty, I can't get them to get water from the stream.
The  brewer keeps telling me there is no water but river is just near by.
I  got no clue how to fix it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 06:04:53 am »

Is it build right next to the river, as in: the tile touches water? Otherwise its too far away.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 03:37:42 pm »

If you built an up/down, you still need to build a down or up-down above it to get to the next level.
Built a ramp. That'll do.
Now, how do I remove it? (I tried designating it for removal but nothing happened.)
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 03:58:06 pm »

If it's properly designated, a dwarf hairless ape will come along and deconstruct it. Deconstruction is labor-independent, even children with 0 labors enabled may do it.

Socrates1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 09:07:54 pm »

How exactly does one become a trickster? I noticed them in the testing arena.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 09:26:05 pm »

I think that race specific questions should go to the race specific threads, at least, it's easier to get the answers that way.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 04:32:18 am »

How exactly does one become a trickster? I noticed them in the testing arena.

it's a "secret," from the Dwarf Chocolate module.  i guess in principle adventurers could learn it from a slab or book or whatever, assuming some mad wizard wrote down this particular secret during world gen.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »

I had horrible hermit incident and  I am not sure what happen or what I could have done to prevent it.
One would think having only one character to play with would be easier but I can't seem to get the hermit to do the one thing to make them feel better.
Anyone else having this problem? And this happens in all the other   versions I have played the last month.
One thing the hermit complained about before the game end abruptly I assume suicide was the lack of clothes.

How do I get the character to put on clothes. I had plenty to wear.
Mine literally died within half hour of embankment recently. I tried to get dwarf therapist to assist but even dwarf fortress literally stopped working properly.
It wouldn't show anything other than long list of labors. And that was pretty frustrating. Perhaps the hermit had already died? I got no clue.
In fact   I run into issues with dwarf therapist literally parts of screen poofing like the list of names of characters and I am not sure exactly why.
Has anyone  else had problems with Dwarf Therapist not working right but figured out the problem?

And I figured out why my humans were getting sick. I keep forgetting that they aren't dwarves and they don't like being in mines all the time.
I got to figure out how to build above ground but I am having issues with it.
Anyone here build above ground well who could give some advise?
Also is there a way to tell them they can only work the mines for certain length of time and in shifts like in military? how do I go about doing this?
And as far as race specific questions. Can I have we discus all races and how newplayer can do this.
Myself I  only need to focus on few races since I started this thread to focus on only newbie friendly races I play which has been dwarves, humans and  the hermit.

Another issue I have had not in this thread thank god is trying to get help and having people respond which much hostility towards new players and specifically new players who play masterworks or don't seem to understand or play the game  the way they think it should be played.
I am not sure how to handle this. Any advise?

I really like the game and learning more,  creating and there is so much to the game its bit overwhelming I really like this mod better than the other version.
And I have had some really hostile comments about how new players shouldn't play this mod.
Seriously if I had to play just dwarf fortress for next year with the stuff I run into in that  version in last month for next year before I can play Masterwork I don't think  I enjoy the game as much.

What I want to do as far my own game playing and advise I need is I want mainly to learn how to build, create environments and level, I don't want to do combat or fight monsters at this moment.
So I am looking for easy to understand tutorials or explanations that are relevant to the current mod.
I heard in other thread those older mod tutorials where there is plentiful on youtube don't apply to the current version. I am not sure if that is true. Is it?

Another issue I found is I am watching lot of videos on youtube about the game is they often are doing something that I have no clue   how to get there.
Like simple stuff, I got no clue how to trade.
 I can't seem to get  trade or the whole broker to show up and do a trade or how to even figure out the trade window
Yet not sure I want to trade either in all videos any time a trade happen then  there is  some   combat incident.
I  don't even know how to set up military at this point.
They show how they see the monsters  approaching and whatever that explains what the monster is it seems to work.
Yet when I click "k"  to view nothing happens or doesn't seem to work the same.
Literally I have seen something move or approach I try to view what it is and it says its grass,
I never seen grass move across a  screen  before. I assumed it was animal. LOL
I am missing something

The problem I have with lot of the youtube videos of about the game make  the game easier than it is. Also they seem to cut out lot of dwarves just simply refusing to do  task it seems.
I am still looking for current version of tutorials on youtube with someone who has voice I can understand.
How I learn is I need to see it done,  wiki is great but I am having hard time with words,  I need to see pictures and videos of what happening  with a voice   that is I can easily understand.
The videos with people heavy unfamiliar accents  or seem to go off on tangents about irrelevant subjects I find very hard to follow in newbie tutorial  videos.

I am home ill, so I have  seen tons of videos and tutorials.
I am struggling but I am improving with the game.
Yet I am bother with some of videos I have seen.
The tutorial videos for this game are rare and few.
 I have seen tons  over the last month and there is something always missing that I have hard time understanding.
Seriously I don't want to have listen to several minutes about them going on about something  I find annoying like the cupcakes sitting next to the  screen or related to  adult material  like  I have seen in videos on df.
Is there anyone here with more experience that can explain  what I am seeing or available or perhaps I can post in this thread and whomever can talk about it?
I think my favorite yet I haven't done it   are the advance videos  relating to making water wheels.
Funniest idea video I saw used cats to operate trap system.
I am not sure how I even begin to train cats or animals to operate machinery.
Can  we have water wheels and similar type of things in Masterworks?
What steps   does new player need to get to point they can't have wind mills or water wheels?
Can horses or mules  work in the game pulling  mine carts?
Can we use   solar energy?

One thing I noticed is there this site called "Twitch" linked to some of the game videos some are live no clue how  it works. Does anyone here know about this?
I really like to join some type of channel like that was like Masterwork builders school type program if someone want to  create one.
What I love to see  somewhere is a place where new players can play along,  ask questions, chat and help each other with more advance  teachers/guides on various aspects of this mod.
Is this possible?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:43:28 pm by JDRX »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 12:40:37 am »

Also is there a way to tell them they can only work the mines for certain length of time and in shifts like in military?
Can horses or mules  work in the game pulling  mine carts?
Can we use   solar energy?

No to all these, sorry.

Another issue I have had not in this thread thank god is trying to get help and having people respond which much hostility towards new players and specifically new players who play masterworks or don't seem to understand or play the game  the way they think it should be played.

I don't think anyone intended to be mean to you, it's just that this mod is really geared towards experienced players, it has a lot of extra complexity.  The mod has a smaller community so the  super detailed documentation with pictures and 1-on-1 help isn't going to be as easy to come by here.  The folks who are really the best at helping out newbies are pretty much going to focus on the regular vanilla game, and I hope you can see too that it's not really fair to them to ask them lots of detailed questions about a mod they've never played and possibly aren't even aware of. 

I  don't even know how to set up military at this point.
They show how they see the monsters  approaching and whatever that explains what the monster is it seems to work.
Yet when I click "k"  to view nothing happens or doesn't seem to work the same.
Literally I have seen something move or approach I try to view what it is and it says its grass,
I never seen grass move across a  screen  before. I assumed it was animal. LOL

I wish I could help, unfortunately I cannot even put myself into the frame of mind to understand how you are having trouble with "k" though!  It has been too long since I was so new.  Is it possible that you don't know that "k" brings up a cursor and you have to move it around if you want to get information about different things?

Seriously I don't want to have listen to several minutes about them going on about something  I find annoying like the cupcakes sitting next to the  screen or related to  adult material

This is also how I feel about interacting with people in real life sometimes :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:50:51 am by smakemupagus »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2014, 12:50:26 am »

I don't think anyone intended to be mean to you, it's just that this mod is really geared towards experienced players, it has a lot of extra complexity.  The mod has a smaller community so the  super detailed documentation with pictures and 1-on-1 help isn't going to be as easy to come by here.  The folks who are really the best at helping out newbies are pretty much going to focus on the regular vanilla game, and I hope you can see too that it's not really fair to them to ask them lots of detailed questions about a mod they've never played and possibly aren't even aware of. 

Besides that, I'm almost surely the one whose actions are being seen as hostile here... and I've posted in here without much issue. Kind of annoyed that it leaked here.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2014, 01:05:22 am »

Thanks for the response.  I guess I  am barking up the wrong tree if this forum not for new players who really want to learn more about this mod.
So far it seems the best one, more stable,etc. that's why I like it plus there things built in that "vanilla" mod doesn't seem to have but being newbie I might just  be wrong.
Oh well I just enjoy what I enjoy until I learn more.
And  to clarify from where I am sitting the meanness I haven't seen in Masterwork DF forum but when I tried to post in regular DF forum there was whole lot more hostility.
Some people were down right angry that I just wanted to focus on building and that I was new player but really liked Masterwork mod more.
Truthfully the meanness of vanilla version of DF (which I am not sure what vanilla is truthfully) but my experience with trying to figure out stuff in orginal
DF game and forum has really turned me off even trying to go for that mod all together.
Either way whether or not I have clue what I am doing I like Masterworks the best even if I am too newbish to suppose to like this version. lol
BTW I really do know what "K" stands for it just sometimes when I see object or thing I haven't seen before sometimes it tells me nothing is there.
I saw a blue thing earlier today click "k" it told me it was bane spider.
But what I don't know is how to find information about whether or not its poisonous.
And Putnam, I don't like people much either at times even more so since I've been ill and I find interacting especially face to face extremely draining.
But sometimes I got to try to interact with people especially around something I want to do like play Masterworks DF.
Yet I totally get once one figures out something and knows its not always easy to pass that information along.
I wish there were was someone out there that did. That why I posted here in first place.
I did  find youtube tutorial series on Masterworks DF for those who might be new like me to watch but I don't know how correct it is information wise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FceoVwmybyY&list=PL1rWu1IznheK69HMWZfDBPqwnlSpzOUls
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:22:46 am by JDRX »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2014, 01:34:53 am »

BTW I really do know what "K" stands for it just sometimes when I see object or thing I haven't seen before sometimes it tells me nothing is there.
I saw a blue thing earlier today click "k" it told me it was bane spider.
But what I don't know is how to find information about whether or not its poisonous.

Ah.  This is good, now you are actually giving enough information in your question to work with.

Spiders are a vermin, which is a type of creature that is so small that you can't always see it, and it seems to blink.  It is totally normal.
You can learn this and more about vermin by searching that term on wiki
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Vermin

One way that you can learn more about the specific type of spider is by searching for "bane spider" in the folder \Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects and you will find

Code: [Select]
Searching for: bane spider
creature_pet_masterwork.txt(3085): [CREATURE_CLASS:ALL_CREATURES]
creature_pet_masterwork.txt(3086): [NAME:bane spider:bane spiders:bane spider]
creature_pet_masterwork.txt(3124): [CASTE_NAME:bane spider:bane spiders:bane spider]
creature_pet_masterwork.txt(3129): [CASTE_NAME:bane spider:bane spiders:bane spider]
creature_pet_masterwork.txt(3133): [CASTE_NAME:bane spiderling:bane spiderlings:bane spiderling]
item_tool.txt(522): [NAME:bane spider venom:bane spider venom]
Found 6 occurrence(s) in 2 file(s)

Follow the links and you will find the code that describes everything you could possibly need to know about that creature.  Some of it will be data that looks incomprehensible to you, but also this which might be useful:

[CREATURE:BANE_SPIDER]
   [CREATURE_CLASS:ALL_CREATURES][DESCRIPTION:A tiny spider. They form huge colonies on the surface and can be collected by your beekeeper. Unlike other spiders, the bane spider does not spin webs, instead they produce large quantities of venom that can be farmed. This rare and special venom affects only orcs and goblins and has been named greenskin bane.]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:37:45 am by smakemupagus »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7