Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Newbie Questions for MasterWork(newest version)  (Read 42724 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Questions for MasterWork(newest version)
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2014, 12:17:46 pm »

This was the series of tutorial videos that I used to get into DF. You will find them useful. Here's the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_SaPQpKbU

Many of the things in this video are still valid when compared to 2014 and everything there is valid in masterwork.

Tell me what you think.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2014, 12:20:07 pm »

This was the series of tutorial videos that I used to get into DF. You will find them useful. Here's the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_SaPQpKbU

Many of the things in this video are still valid when compared to 2014 and everything there is valid in masterwork.

Tell me what you think.
Thanks I will go look.
Actually I have seen some of his videos, goes and watches again.
I am taking a break I am furious at the game at second.
Last night I wanted somewhere warm and calm it sent me somewhere cold and some guy who not on my civ list under bedrooms was going beserk and killing everyone.
Today some animal trainer killed all my turtles and boulder crabs:(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:24:27 pm by JDRX »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2014, 05:09:53 pm »

Last night I wanted somewhere warm and calm it sent me somewhere cold

I really doubt that it sent you somewhere different than you selected  :-\
"Warm" climates can sometimes have freezing periods of a few days or weeks.  Temperate can freeze for whole seasons, have snow, etc.

Quote from: JDRX
some guy who not on my civ list under bedrooms was going beserk and killing everyone.

Masterwork has some extra challenges built in that may seem random for newbies, and even in the base game it's possible to have dwarves get so upset (or fail a "strange mood") so that they go berserk.  These situations are almost always avoidable once you know how to deal with them.  (Some  of Masterwork's random deaths and other troubles can be turned off in the GUI.  For example, you might choose to turn off Harder Mining, Secret !FUN!, Diseases, and Fear the Night -- these are all sources of mysterious death and dismemberment that are intended to be somewhat hidden surprises; I don't get the impression that you are at the point in your DF career where you like hidden surprises yet)

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2014, 06:09:36 pm »

I have it set for no invaders, no vermin because I thought it give me time to focus on basic stuff around setting up developing fortress.
I haven't even been able to get point I can focus on a military.
I  have all the monsters, forgotten otherwise off.
I can't seem to have settings and embarkment set up in same way in original mod like I do in Dwarf Fortress plus there is so much more to explore  in this version.
Yet saying that I know this isn't bug free game and its beta and all but I have my moments where I still don't know what to do or it crashes at the most inconvenient times or I get sent somewhere I think I shouldn't.
I carefully select my embankment but I have been sent places even in the easy world option through the GUI that couldn't seem to find a low evil place.
I figure it  was a bug when I see the game act in ways that aren't set in the GUI but not sure.
Luckily I don't think anyone outside my base has come and killed anyone.
The problems I have tend to come from within or new migrants.
I have children set at 0-1000 but they keep showing up too.
And the vermin too.
They don't just show up in small piles they literally litter the entire landscape.
Even with embark crew of 50 working their tiny butts off I can't even get them to make enough beds for everyone including the most important person not until winter comes.
And I am not sure why.
Still struggling with stockpiles. I set them carefully but something always seems to sneak in create that purple cloud of death, that I can't remember how to spell.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:17:06 pm by JDRX »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2014, 06:14:08 pm »

Well if you are creating Miasma(the purple cloud of death) check if you have a refuse stockpile. Although I am curious too since vermin are usually the main cause of miasma. Do you know where the miasma is coming from. It comes from rotten things.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2014, 06:16:17 pm »

Low evil is actually disadvantageous, since there be unicorns and other such nasties.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2014, 06:19:43 pm »

Well if you are creating Miasma(the purple cloud of death) check if you have a refuse stockpile. Although I am curious too since vermin are usually the main cause of miasma. Do you know where the miasma is coming from. It comes from rotten things.

Thanks  I forgot how to spell that i.e the Miasma(the purple cloud of death)
I think sometimes  I may mess up with how the setting preferences and I work together but in the most recent incident there kept being warning about webs in the stock pile, then suddenly one of guys became a hunter.
Then the purple cloud formed.
I thought I had everything set up   via the program and ulitity just for basic embarkment set up the base but I don't know maybe one of military caste member ignore that.
Dwarf Therapist has been being a pain I literally lose all the names of my residents last  few times I played so I can't see there names or interact with them via that utility and I don't know why.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:23:52 pm by JDRX »

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2014, 06:25:37 pm »

Low evil is actually disadvantageous, since there be unicorns and other such nasties.
Do    unicorns kill?
I am in spot that has seems like a nice valley area next  to a lake I am hoping to totally enclose it off if I can.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2014, 06:26:22 pm »

All animals kill. Many animals will try to kill. Unicorns, if they do try, will most likely succeed.

JDRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »

I really like the space I embarked currently at but I really want to start over but return the space back to its orginal form and save it for other games.
Is this possible?
Only problem if I abandon the property and return with new embarkment crew is I don't know what will happen.
 Will things be worse and become haunted or will the other crew still be there?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2014, 07:05:50 pm »

I know this isn't bug free game and its beta and all

alpha, actually  8)

I have it set for no invaders, no vermin because I thought it give me time to focus on basic stuff around setting up developing fortress.
And the vermin too.
They don't just show up in small piles they literally litter the entire landscape.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think there's a "no vermin" setting.  The option on the Other Creatures / Additional Creatures / Vermin is an "toggle extra vermin" setting.  With that unchecked you will have regular Dwarf Fortress vermin but not extra new vermin.  Just bring a vermin hunting animal, and place a refuse stockpile outside in the fresh air a little ways away from your main living area (or underground in an out of the way place where you don't mind miasma).

Dwarf Therapist has been being a pain I literally lose all the names of my residents last  few times I played so I can't see there names or interact with them via that utility and I don't know why.

Quite possibly they're dead.  I can't think of any other reason they would disappear.  Of course there is the possibility it's a bug but noone else seems to be reporting this, so it seems unlikely to me.

I really like the space I embarked currently at but I really want to start over but return the space back to its orginal form and save it for other games.
Is this possible?

There's an "initial save" setting that creates a copy of the embark.  If you didn't select that before embark, then no, you're sort of out of luck.  Although reclaims are sort of fun.  Make sure you know how forbidding and reclaiming items works before you attempt a reclaim, though.

Only problem if I abandon the property and return with new embarkment crew is I don't know what will happen.
 Will things be worse and become haunted or will the other crew still be there?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Reclaim_fortress_mode#What_you_will_find
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jgz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2014, 03:51:25 pm »

I'm trying to get masterwork set up the same way as i have it in the starter pack and i'm having one issue i cant figure out.

In masterwork when you zoom in scales the entire interface,  not just the main area in the middle like it does when i play in the starter pack.

Can anyone tell me how to get this functionality to work?  Its really messing with me that i cant get the interface right. I'm sure its just a setting or something I can't find.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2014, 07:30:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh, forget all of that. It's definitely Text Will Be Text, but it appears to require a more recent versions of TWBT (and dfhack) than is in the most recent MDF release.

I'm going to try manually updating dfhack and TWBT to see if things break.

So yeah, you can try updating dfhack to r5 and getting the most recent TWBT that works for df.34.11/r5, but doing so is going to break some other plugins (there were only three warnings in the dfhack console, plus rendermax throwing an error rather than just a warning) since those are built for dfhack.r4 and not r5. I didn't go any farther but, in theory, if you update those as well things might work. On the other hand, it might not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Might be more effort than it's worth, depending on exactly how much you need to be able to independently zoom the game view from the menu text.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:58:06 pm by Niveras »

ManlyMeatMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2014, 10:15:38 pm »

I have a question about gnomes. After you build the seismic telegraph, I am able to give the task of requesting caravans but no one will do the task. I am new to gnomes so I am clearly missing something. Is there a specific labor that must be enabled? I thought that any available gnome would do it but I have been unable to get one to even try to complete it. It may also be that I am too late in trying to contact the gnome homeworld, but I thought that they would still do the task, just not get any results. Thanks for the help.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2014, 12:15:11 am »

I have a question about gnomes. After you build the seismic telegraph, I am able to give the task of requesting caravans <...> Is there a specific labor that must be enabled?

[PROFESSION_NAME:PUMP_OPERATOR:machine operator:machine operators]

PUMP_OPERATOR is the internal name (in the code) of the profession required to do this job
"machine operator" is most likely how it appears in game or in Therapist

no guarantees, just by searching, i've never played gnome mode
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:20:18 am by smakemupagus »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7